Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Ok, so here's what I've been working on. I don't think that solid copper sam brown studs would be an affordable option, at least not that I can find. And with copper being so soft and pliable, I don't think they'd work very well anyways. But I have gotten in touch with a guy who does copper plating, and it sounds like something that would be actually pretty affordable to copper plate a bunch of brass sam browns. His minimum order was only 300, and I think they would come out to around $1.50 to $2.00 a piece. That price would include the cost of the brass hardware and the copper plating. The plating can be applied at any thickness from .00005" to .0035" (pop cans are .003" thick). I was thinking somewhere around .002". How many people would be interested? I'll probably do an order of 300 myself at some point, but let me know if we want to do this sooner. I'm not in any rush.

I'm interested too. Just make sure the screws still fit when the plating is done. Changing the tolerances by .002" could possibly be enough to make the screws no longer fit.

Andrew

I prefer stud type, but I can imagine the copper plating could get pretty mangled if they aren't screw-back.

I think even placing the top piece in the anvil while the back is hammered could ruin the plating.

I think even placing the top piece in the anvil while the back is hammered could ruin the plating.

I think if you put a piece of rubber or leather between the anvil and the metal that should help....

these are the stud type for sure. it's easy to plug the hole on the female end, so no plating will be in the interior of the stud. i'm still looking into what we can do to ensure the pieces still hammer together properly.

also, i always hammer from the top of the stud. it's actually pretty easy to hold the stud steady with some kneedlenose pliers and you don't have to mess around with anvils or the like. just a thought.

what kind of quantities are people interested in? you can start sending me some direct messages and i'll get a tally going. once i get a final number i can put together a final price.

Posted · Hidden by JustinPHL, March 9, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by JustinPHL, March 9, 2012 - No reason given

New guy here. Im looking to expand my leather skills beyond small card holders and belts into stuff like bags and cases. Pefect example being the cases Sirkus posted a little further up on this page. Do you guys have an suggestions for books or online resources you have used to help with making them? Belts are one thing but I look at a briefcase and just dont even know where I would start. Im coming from the Leatherworker.net forum but the work in this thread are more my style. You guys make awesome stuff!

Quick question, has anyone ever made a leather half-case? alternatively one with a detachable "top"? Thinking about such a project, but not sure how much camera-model-stuff I have to make in wood to wet-shape stuff.

where is everyone getting their short zippers? I saw what tandy offers but I'm not making a parka just a little wallet...

I avoid zippers like the plague but I'm pretty sure Tandy also sells the hardware to shorten them.

I've never put in a zipper but the tandy pulls were like bottle openers...

Www.zipperstop.com is where I get zips. they sell little brass crimps to shorten zippers for like nothing. Just cut to length and put a new stopper. They only sell ykk and have fast shipping. I use lots of 14" zippers but its cheaper to buy 16" separating zippers and shorten them than to buy closed end ones for some reason. They will also shorten them for you, but I don't see the need too pay for something that takes me like ten seconds.

Buckleguy.com has riri zippers...the best! But they are not cheap! But they look awesome ! And add class to your project.

I too avoid handstitching zippers. When I do use them I go over to my old job, and machine stitch them in .

Edited by TheBlackGoat

^Buckleguy also has the best button studs that I've found. The great part is that you can get the rivet backs in different lengths depending on the thickness of leather I'm using.

How do you guys go about cutting patterns? I've seen:

- Manila colored paper patterns

- Forged dies and clicker press

- Plastic fabricated patterns

- Straight up ruler and pencil to leather

I'm interested in using CAD software and printing out the pattern onto a thick paper and hand cutting them. Does anyone already do this? I'm trying to find a convenient way to cut out patterns accurately. Thanks for any input and recommendations.