Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

been doing a lot of experiments making my own hot stuffed veg tan horsehide.

almost have my formula down, just trying to get a little more pull up of the dye.

but the rugged horsehide is now very supple and has a killer finish. it takes a lot of work, but the results are very satisfying.

here is a little experiment card holder i am going to carry around for the next few weeks to see how the leather holds up and ages.

6844577128_e0979eac05_z.jpg

6844577216_fc0b3db8ae_z.jpg

^ the formula and process is my secret, just because it was a lot of reading and experimenting. the basic info can be found on the internet.

but the basics are this :)

its a tallow, beeswax,cod oil, and a few other ingredients.

after the leather is stuffed, i apply an aniline dye, then use a cocobolo wood slicker to slick the grain, then finished with a coat of cod oil.

hope this points you in the right direction

Very impressive, as always, TBG!

It seems my dog has developed a taste for Obenauf's LP. I've caught her chewing on some rags, but just today, I discovered that she tore apart a tub of it and ate the contents! Luckily, it was about 3/4 used, and I just bought a backup tub. She also chewed up one of my wood slickers. I guess I'll have to make sure there is always a big rawhide bone around...

Very interesting. Definitely need to experiment more. I make my own dressing based loosely on the British museum leather dressing recipe but I use a solvent so I can apply the stuff cold. I'm gonna try different ways to work it so maybe I can do without solvents. I guess more experimentation is in order.

Andrew

Very impressive, as always, TBG!

It seems my dog has developed a taste for Obenauf's LP. I've caught her chewing on some rags, but just today, I discovered that she tore apart a tub of it and ate the contents! Luckily, it was about 3/4 used, and I just bought a backup tub. She also chewed up one of my wood slickers. I guess I'll have to make sure there is always a big rawhide bone around...

One of my dogs loves bees wax! Ate a big chunk like it was candy - I guess it is.

Here's a coin pouch I did for myself a bit ago.

Friday_and_River_Custom_Coin_Pouch_Closed.jpg

Friday_and_River_Custom_Coin_Pouch_Open.jpg

I think the clarification for a few people asking about sewing machines is that you cant "add" a walking foot to a non wf machine. It is a completely different machine. There is no way to convert a regular machine, industrial or otherwise to a walking foot. its not super easy, but with some detective work you can find info about compound feed walking foot machines and what makes them work, and ypu can also find names,of machines to look for. Your easiest bet is to get an old upholstery machine to start with, its really the only "cheap" way to get into the world of industrial sewing machines. This forum is really not a great resource for machine info cause most people who post here sew by hand. I hope this helps anyone looking fr a sewing machine. its pretty easy to google a list of popular wf machines.

Just trying to get my head around this! So what would the difference be in attaching this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Singer-Walking-Even-Feed-Foot-/160761974290?pt=UK_Crafts_Sewing_Supplies_MJ&hash=item256e290e12#ht_500wt_1202 to a machine (that previously didn't have a walking foot) and using a machine that already had a walking foot?

By the way, I think I'm gonna try my luck with a Singer 201K as they seem to be the most readily available in the UK.

Thanks

^^^ is that machine stitched?

Zissou, hopefully your dog does not get sick. and at least not eating finished projects!

Got some AWESOME horween Diablo latigo a few weeks back. and finally got a chance to try it out.

the one without the snap is for MR. UNLUCKY, he was cool and kind enough to do a trade for a custom belt for me.

hope you dig it Scott!

6847360722_b2cdb9a67b_z.jpg

6847401728_071d5d0f0f_z.jpg

here are some card holders i made with some scrap cordovan and bridle i had left over from some orders.

its always nice to find something to do with all those small pieces in your scrap pile.

6847410242_709a97e257_z.jpg

6847407610_d3a570897d_z.jpg

6847407680_851103434b_z.jpg

Just trying to get my head around this! So what would the difference be in attaching this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Singer-Walking-Even-Feed-Foot-/160761974290?pt=UK_Crafts_Sewing_Supplies_MJ&hash=item256e290e12#ht_500wt_1202 to a machine (that previously didn't have a walking foot) and using a machine that already had a walking foot?

By the way, I think I'm gonna try my luck with a Singer 201K as they seem to be the most readily available in the UK.

Thanks

Have you seen this thread? It will give you all the answers you need and more.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25239

You can try this out for burnishing edges. I use them and find them pretty nice.

http://www.feltbobs.com/catalog/index.php/

They are felt bobs. The felt is very hard and will provide a good amount of friction for the burnishing process. You can use a file to file in a groove of the desired size so you can have exactly the size you want.

I believe dremels can accomodate a 1/8" shank (please correct me if I'm wrong) so you can use some of the smaller ones on a dremel. As for which dremel to choose, that doesn't really matter. As long as it spins, it'll work.

Andrew

I use a proxxon tool and a cocobolo burnishing set from Three Mutt Custom. Regardless any brand you pick, Dremel-like tools spins too fast. The slower speed is 5000 RPM on mine, and the risk of burning leather instead of burnishing is high if you don't keep your edge always saturated with water/saddle soap/burnishing agent.

Whats up everyone new guy here. Been working with leather for a couple months now. This thread is very inspirational. Made a little case for my USB flash drive last night. Its a scrap of 8-10 veg tan dyed brown and wet formed. Sewed without a stitching horse which was.... interesting.

o5Ehq.jpg

Edited by JustinPHL

What's up guys? Read through this entire thread in like 4 days, great stuff! Also followed Corter's posts over on Leatherworker, amazing to see the beginnings! Anyhow, I'm two and a half weeks into this since my first trip to Tandy and so far loving it.

Here's the first piece I made. Used the single shoulder Tandy sells. Holds my Galaxy S II perfectly.

DSC_6972.jpg

This past weekend, I bought some Royal Meadow. Made this cardholder:

DSC_6980.jpg

DSC_6981.jpg

Still having a tough time cutting curves but I ordered an Exacto #2.

Quick questions- How are you guys poking holes for the stitching when it's multiple layers? Are you doing them stacked up or each layer at a time? I can never get my inner holes perfectly straight. Also, is there some guide for the inner workings of a wallet? Is Corter skiving the edges of the pockets so they sit more flush? Stitching the bottom of each pocket so the cards don't go all the way down? I know Eric mentioned using glue but I haven't a clue as to how...

Thanks! Look forward to posting more work.

Edited by JanC

^ nice Mr. Corter! Would love to see some detail shots of your infamous snap wallet, now that you have switched over to the diamond awl. looks like a busy day!

My Horsehide bridle leather method is now complete!!!! have the methods and formula NAILED!

also i figured out how to make the cool grain structure of the horsehide pop out and how to not to make it pop.

its been kind of obsession lately and had to share.

this is with the grain pop! it reminds me of a flame top les paul or PRS guitar .

its pretty wild, and not everyones cup of tea. but a cool experiment none the less

6858177044_6ab6504889_c.jpg

Edited by TheBlackGoat