australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

Thanks guys. All those helped a bunch. You guys stay around the CBD area?

Pity International students have no concessions for fares. My friends suggested not paying for the fares. Ha.

What about North Face. Hope they have have that there. Needa get jackets for winter unless they're horrifically marked up.

You won't find a lot of people living around CBD except for students who can afford it ... and trust me, after a few months living in the city, it'll drive you nuts and bore you out of your mind. Just visit QV and you'll know what I mean.

And don't try to scam a free ride on the trams, they're real hard on that especially tourists/students who always claim the 'I no speak english' defence.

If you're arriving Feb, there's still another a few months before you need winter stuff, but the more common brand for this stuff is Kathmandu which is all over the place. I'm sure you can find Northface around ... though I'd just get a nice jacket/coat.

If you are international and you give the transits your international address there is no way they are going to be able to hit you up for the fine. They will just send it to your international address and it won't go any further.

Why support a private system that doesn't support you, there are plenty of ways to get out of tram fines as long as you have common sense

Dude it's this kinda attitude that fucks it all up for everyone. Have you seen them harrass foreigners on trams? The kinda fucking attitude and harrassment is totally unwarranted but because so many internationals think they don't have to pay fare, it gives the conductors an excuse to be fucktards, I've seen instances when a foreign student was close to tears from all the haranguing. And you think Melb transport sucks? Try Sydney.

I can understand your advice and anyone that isn't confident enough for confrontation from a transit should always purchase tickets.

My point was; you can get away with fare evasion if you are prepared, transits are going to be arseholes regardless, you have to be a reject to take the job initially. I have tried sydney, and I am originally from perth; melbourne transport does suck, and will continue to as long as it stays private. The only upside is the coverage, even though it only works on the star pattern, But the cost of a fine is heinous.

yeh well exactly, although i walk most places because i am lucky enough to have found a house close enough to everything i want. Of course my own private boycott isn't going to have any major effect on the entire system, but that way of thinking can be applied to pretty much anything.

totally agreed Tyro1, I wasn't trying to say internationals should not buy tickets solely because they can get away with it, just that it is do-able. If they wish... and talking your way out of a ticket isn't possible i agree. That wasn't what i was talking about

yeh, might just have to wait for the xmas sales... hopefully have a bit more $$$ by then to get something reasonable. Know of any second hand retailers? besides pawn shops

Gumtree? You can always pick up stuff from people who're moving overseas, etc. There's a lot on there, defintely come across home theater setups. Actually I'm gonna have a look there right now.

also this has been mentioned before, when we had our, lets open a store brain wave...

just realised while I was on the train this morning that I'm going to miss been at university just because I can wear whatever the fuck I want everyday, whether it's crazy goth ninja shit or beat up sneakers and jeans with a uniqlo shirt. need to get that store going just so I don't have to wear business attire everyday :P

there is no new cut, it's just the same shit. if you're talking about joeys.

the other cuts are a bit looser though, but still slim enough that if you have fat legs it won't look good.

speaking of which, have you tried on the newer (A77 records) cut of joeys pand? My black colourdrives are looking to wear through in places, and I'm too lazy to find a new brand/style/next cool thing pair of good black skinnies... (I also cant be fucked going through the A77 thread 0_o)

Fat is good, especially when stuff gets marked down, we need more variety in this price range though... as premium clothes are available yet, $$$

year long internship ftw. will make final year/years easier i've been told..

also, anyone know how these sorta internships are paid? engineering/architecture/etc. are we talking peasant rates?

This summer/next year I'm doing an engineering/programming internship and getting $15.50 an hour for it, kinda low. I'm starting on a "try out" though, they may raise it? Also I'm just finishing second year so that might affect things.

peasant rates home. a friend got a 1 year engineering internship with GM and the salary is less than 35K p/a, which is peanuts compared to the average graduate salary of 55K. I think I might be better of just graduating sooner, I only need to do four subjects on top of a year long engineering design project and a 6 month science project (easy to get good marks in that shit as long as you can feign confidence and enthusiasm in the presentations haha).

deserter I wouldn't bother doing an internship after 2 years, you wouldn't have enough technical knowledge to do anything of interest. only really worth considering at the end your penultimate year.

DJI, I know what you mean man, I'm going to be doing really boring shit, but it's better than any other crappy summer jobs (retail etc). They seemed pretty keen on me so we'll see. I'll be able to do full time uni around it next year anyway.

Claude Maus sent an email a while ago saying they had new season stuff in, anybody checked it out?

ah okay, that's cool if it's just a vacation placement deserter, it'll look good on your CV at least.

bboysdontcry, in the case of RMIT the university doesn't do shit for you, you're basically on your own. just do what everyone else does, go to careers fairs and google companies you're interested in. one thing though, most companies can't/won't employ international students so you may be out of luck. fields like journalism and writing are extremely competitive for the limited positions available so you have to be really good at what you do to have a chance at a good career...

How do you guys secure an internship man? Does the university -- in my case University of Melbourne -- secure it for you? Also what's the likelihood of getting a job in Journalism/writing upon graduation? Tough times I'm told.

You need to be pro active and not hope for/depend on work placement. There're a lot of free publications like Beat, websites like Three Thousand, newspaper with good weekend editions (is it called The Age? I can't remember), etc. Look around, pick something you're into, approach them and ask if you can contribute. Go into a newsagent and pick out all the magazines you think you might want to write for, study them and the stories they cover, their tonality, etc.

Build up a portfolio. When you're ready to take on the established publications (monthlies), as a writer, you approach them with story ideas. You don't just walk in and ask if they're looking for a writer, they won't bother unless they really are looking for one and you're in luck.

Spot trends in your area of interest, think of story ideas. Write in and pitch your ideas, tell them why you think this trend is coming up, why this is worth a story, pitch them your angle, and they might take you on per-article. Impress them, they give you more jobs, you build up a better portfolio until they decide to take you on or you're good enough to shop around.

I assume there're recruiters for this line of work, find out who the agencies are and try hitting them up, ask them if they can find work for you. Possibly Aquent, they seem to cover a lot of media related fields.

But there aren't a lot of publishers in Melbourne, most of them are based in Sydney, the biggest being ACP.

You're at a disadvantage because you're a foreigner. There's no reason to take you on when we have heaps of local talent looking for work or internships. Which is why you need to be a lot more pro active and do your own shit instead of hoping something will magically get you through the door.

Anyway don't you have a while before you worry about this shit? Enjoy uni.