australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

dont know if they are slim to your liking dji, but target's work slacks are quite credible for the price you pay.

what gigs melb people goin to this summer?

bloc party put on a good show at festival hall last week or so

iim goin to crystal castles, lykke li and st jeromes laneway fest; i heard tv on the radio are down soon but havnt checked anything out. of montreal are supposedly comin too, sometime in march.

anythin else good?

thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll probably order a couple of pairs of the cotton/poly blend uniqlo slim slacks, still a bargain even with the fucked up dollar.

is anyone going to the damir doma launch party at CM tomorrow night? doubtful I'll bother going after work but will definitely be checking out the buy sometime on the weekend.

anyone know a aussie stockist of reppettos? maybe a fruity dance store? Dismal got me wanting some white ones instead of sneaks...

Repetto's are foolishly hard to get ahold of. Most stockists here only do women's and if they do agree to buy in men's sizes of the Zizi (they usually carry the women's already), you can expect a 3 month wait. I've got a store in Perth that I debated getting them through, but I wanted them for summer, not after.

Chant can proxy them from France, but they'll run you $500 a pair with our dollar and his proxy fees. Blackbird has limited stock and will get more in for 09 summer. With the sizing, I've heard they run a full size small; so I'd normally wear a 44 in dress shoes, I'd go a 45. I got Tyler at Blackbird to measure up a pair for me to confirm.

With locally sold/made dance shoes, the style is similar but the cut is really unattractive; boxy and bulbous not sleek. The Zizi's can be victim to this too, they often look a bit broad.

v388c_410_top01.jpg

Depending on how much the last will cost me, I'm considering making my own (stepping off from the Repetto oxford cut and slightly slimming down the width, keep the same rounded toe, taper the heel, get some nice glazed goat skin leather). But by the time I've done that, it'd probably have been simpler just to buy from Chant.

Leather soles like on the Zizi's are good for the street and for dancing on regular surfaces, but are too slick for pro dancing on polished floors; at serious dance events they usually use suede or resins.

Leather sole dance shoes don't wear out any quicker than regular shoes, and they can always be replaced.

Heading to Melbourne next weekend and am keen to cop a few tees and a new pair of jeans. Where should I be heading?

I've been reading through the thread getting ideas and the map is sick, but there were a couple of places like south west trader, VG (stands for?) and restricted that sound decent but arent on the map. Anyone want to direct me or hook it up on the map?

gertrude st is a great place to shop, although I still frequent the stores in the CBD more often while I'm at RMIT. I don't think alice euphemia did a lot of business in fitzroy, everytime I visited it was empty. what labels does title and third drawer down stock? any word on when JC is opening there?

i love the quirky stuff at thirddrawerdown. also saw them at the melbourne design fest but the entire thing wasnt nearly as good as id hoped.

gonna be bummin in the city tonighgt, hopefully can find something fun to do...

also i serzly hope robert doyle wont open up swanston st walk to regular traffic...such a bad decision if he does

I have to spend more time shopping in Fitzroy I think haha.

I checked out claude maus today, the damir doma buy is tiny, literally only half a dozen pieces. a vest, some sweats and a few drapey things. I did pick up a pair of claude maus jeans today though, suprised they aren't more popular with the melbourne guys on here. quality (japanese) denim, locally made, minimal details and super skinny fit. some other nice pieces in store, they made some double layered tanks and tees from japanese cotton/cashmere jersey which I'd be tempted to buy if they make it to sale. good to see they slimmed down the fit on most of their pieces too, size S fits like an EU 44 now.