australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

I mentioned the DD order a couple of pages back, it's tiny with only about half a dozen pieces. a vest, some sweat pants and a few random drapey pieces that didn't look all that wearable to me. the dude at CM said that they could only make a small order this time because it was untested waters for them and they had no idea how well it would sell.

who runs the claude store? is it rob maniscalco?

i've always wondered how well a local designer can do for themselves, money-wise. obviously ksubi has got that shit down pat, but what about rob, mic eaton, gareth moody (not acknowleding tsubi takings), etc. - anyone with the insight?

i think the other independent labels aside from ksubi find it difficult to maintain themselves.

once you can get the made in australia/america for all of your shit (as does ksubi) tag then you're pretty much set.

otherwise, currently if i'm not mistaken, material boy does have manufacturing factories in thailand or indonesia.

yeah all claude maus pieces are made locally (even CON is a mix of Australian made and cheaper Indonesian manufactured items), with the exception of the suits (made in NZ) and the silk ties (made in Italy). QC is good too, when I had a faulty zip on one of their hoodies last year they sent it back to the manufacturer to be replaced free of charge. rob maniscalco doesn't runs the cbd store himself, I think he operates out of their design studio in Abbotsford.

hem and haw was cheaply made and even the fit was off on a lot of their work. some of their designs were nice though and they did keep the prices reasonably low.

if you don't want to have to deal with customers (ie. working at a supermarket/ fast food chain), you might want to have a look at some of the logistics companies. you don't need any experience and the pay is a bit over $20 an hour + penalty rates.

haha, I think there would be some lifting but nothing too strenuous (OH&S regulations). I haven't worked for a logisitics company before, but I know a few people from uni have worked for Toll, DHL, etc. and the work seems to be mainly sorting and scanning of parcels. work environment is pretty laid back too from what I've heard too, no one is looking to work too hard :P

serious?

i've never had a terrestrial pet before because my parents are all asian and don't like dirty floors and stuff. what breed is it?

i'm thinking of getting a scottish fold cat when i move out.

^ same problem, always wanted a dog when I was little :(

Tyro, Ernie looks like a champ! Nice pickup =)

I just got pretty lucky in my Repetto search... Picked up a new pair of sz. 45 white goat skin Zizi's for EUR120 shipped from a reseller on eBay France - his only pair. They don't come up often in sizes bigger than 43 in Yahoo JP / eBay, so I'm pretty fucking happy.

20070524_065941.jpg

Time to get my Serge on...

those rafs look pretty nice, maybe waxed a bit heavier than I'm looking for. they don't have them in my size anyway. so-ang on SZ suggested dior arcadius but too much effort to track down a pair in my size (not to mention pricey). afaik april 77 doesn't make black wax coated jeans. never was a fan of the exposed back pocket rivets anyway, always paranoid that they'd scratch up leather seats haha.