brand synergy

cheep

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't get the goro's thing. is it genuinely synergetic, or is it nothing more than an accessory incorporation based on the mimickry of "fashion" celebrities?

i'm being serious here. i can understand the formulas you posted, but how does goro's fit? i don't understand the story behind it...

goro's used to be somewhat huge in the early-mid 90's when teamers were everywhere on the streets of shibuya. his accessories = street cred

people used to get robbed for accessories with coveted motifs e.g. dai-eagle

a lot of high priced items are one-of-a-kind...

in the mid-late 90s, when the ura-hara / amekaji streetwear blew up b/c of

1) super-limited-quantity (ala bape) business model

2) collabos

3) a lot of celebrities / in-the-know people got into it e.g. kimu-taku, hamada of Down Town

that's when goro's became more "main stream"

my grandmother's friend used to own the building that goro's is in

they hardly had any business there. they even took phone-orders...

one of the appeals is that Goro Takahashi had a real native american tribe teach him how to make accessories. he was recognzied as a member of the tribe. i think his nickname was yellow eagle. that's why his shit has a lot of eagles.

another BIG reason: Hiroshi-kun endorsement

anyways for the last 8 years or so I`ve been mainly on :

Stussy + Supreme + w)taps + jordans/nikes +casio g-shock

I'm looking at this as an outsider, but to me Stussy and Supreme brands I associate with skateboarding and surfing, which to me are the complete antithesis to traditional sportswear institutions like Nike (at least until Nike started dabbling with SB projects).

But for brands like Stussy and Supreme that are all about legacy, and for your concept of harmony and origins, how do you reconcile them with Jordans?

I'm looking at this as an outsider, but to me Stussy and Supreme brands I associate with skateboarding and surfing, which to me are the complete antithesis to traditional sportswear institutions like Nike (at least until Nike started dabbling with SB projects).

But for brands like Stussy and Supreme that are all about legacy, and for your concept of harmony and origins, how do you reconcile them with Jordans?

you don't know anything about streetwear, do you

anyways for the last 8 years or so I`ve been mainly on :

Stussy + Supreme + w)taps + jordans/nikes +casio g-shock

you don't know anything about streetwear, do you

My question was geniune, and no, I don't.

EDIT: Duck, Clopek, thanks =)

goro's used to be somewhat huge in the early-mid 90's when teamers were everywhere on the streets of shibuya. his accessories = street cred

people used to get robbed for accessories with coveted motifs e.g. dai-eagle

a lot of high priced items are one-of-a-kind...

in the mid-late 90s, when the ura-hara / amekaji streetwear blew up b/c of

1) super-limited-quantity (ala bape) business model

2) collabos

3) a lot of celebrities / in-the-know people got into it e.g. kimu-taku, hamada of Down Town

that's when goro's became more "main stream"

my grandmother's friend used to own the building that goro's is in

they hardly had any business there. they even took phone-orders...

one of the appeals is that Goro Takahashi had a real native american tribe teach him how to make accessories. he was recognzied as a member of the tribe. i think his nickname was yellow eagle. that's why his shit has a lot of eagles.

another BIG reason: Hiroshi-kun endorsement

herp, i took this to the japland thread.

Point is they're still basketball shoes, so someone, somewhere in history took the plunge and started skating in bastkeball shoes.

And over time that got accepted and now it's part of the "uniform".

???

the real point is, why did i bother to answer that guy's question...nobody really gives a shit anymore.

streetwear is basically black clothing. it's marketed by caucasions, and made by the japanese.

but if that's the case then wearing supreme and billabong is okay, because technically billabong is a skate/surf label (albeit a shitty mall one), so famous' fit that got ragged on doesn't fall out of line with milspex's stupid synergy tripe.

oh, and apparently hedi and muska are boys. +++SUPEREME, JORDAN, MIJ 19cm

No I'm seriously interested in this, in the same way as I'm interested in all the "rules" around traditional formal wear.

And I'm curious since Milspex has made such a point out of it in the past, because to me going by the same logic, wearing basketball shoes to skate in would be wrong, yet it isn't?

So someone went against what was normal (skating in skateshoes) and opted for something else (Jordans), but if someone goes against what is normal these days, he gets hated because it doesn't fit with the rest???

No I'm seriously interested in this, in the same way as I'm interested in all the "rules" around traditional formal wear.

And I'm curious since Milspex has made such a point out of it in the past, because to me going by the same logic, wearing basketball shoes to skate in would be wrong, yet it isn't?

So someone went against what was normal (skating in skateshoes) and opted for something else (Jordans), but if someone goes against what is normal these days, he gets hated because it doesn't fit with the rest???

i'm not siding with anyone here, but fucking your first cousin was probably more acceptable in the past than it is today.

actually as a rule there were no real "skate" shoes back in the day. technically vans was around, but for the most part people just liked the way jordans/dunks supported your ankle and had a nice flat skateable sole. their simplicity made them ideal skate shoes. since skating was still in its early stages there weren't really "norms" as far as the clothing worn while skating went. check old pics of freestyle skaters if you want further proof of this. which is why "brand synergy" is such bullshit, because things are different no matter what the background. if you want to justify wearing jordans and supreme with skateboarding, you're simultaneously justifying wearing neon spandex and headbands with dunks (kindof like the AA hipster uniform of choice)

I think the answer lies in Supreme, coming out of NY where both skateboarding and basketball are apart of the streetscape. California is a bit different, but you have LA which culturally has crossovers between the coast and the urban.

Perhaps the Billabong and Supreme faux pas extends from the seperation between surf culture and NY?

Are there a lot of 30-ish doods in Japan who dress like Milspex?

honestly, not really...or at least i haven't noticed them for a while.

then again, milspex has alot invested into being a "purveyor" of early urahara streetwear. he had to move to a country that he didn't really like in order to get his hands on probably a big portion of his collection. blood, sweat, and tears (not to mention money and time). thats some commitment. from what i gather of milspex's psyche, i can somewhat understand why his militant streetwear stance is so adamant (i mean his logic).

I somewhat agree with the brand synergy thing.

What I think is fucking lame, are those who are 'down' with streetwear just a couple years ago and then flip the script like a trend whore onto some fashion shit. I can completely understand those who upgrade and mature into more exclusive and harder to find lines such as acronym, Visvim, Soph, Pam, undercover etc but for those who ditched the whole street aesthetic and jump on some fashion bandwagon shit sicken me. For that reason they were never into street culture or the style in the first place. It was just the hot new trend at the moment. I think that is somewhat what Milspex is trying to get at as well, people are mixing up shit so much that it is becoming acceptable. It is completely normal to see dior, supreme, vans. I guess to the untrained eye it looks good, but to a purist it is done all wrong.

Imagine someone like Milspex completely flipping the script and dressing in dior, tsubi, common projects all of a sudden. Or could you imagine one of the supreme cats decked out in Supreme, 19cm, vans. That shit would be retarded. I don't know if that makes any sense but whatevs.

i don't get the goro's thing. is it genuinely synergetic, or is it nothing more than an accessory incorporation based on the mimickry of "fashion" celebrities?

i'm being serious here. i can understand the formulas you posted, but how does goro's fit? i don't understand the story behind it...

HF and most other Harajuku VIPs have put it together with Goro`s at one time or another. What HF does matters, he has ultimate taste. Also its a classic piece of Harajuku fashion history, one of my main influences.

Iirc Mil said a little while back that Jordan fit in because that's what people skated in back in the days.

Correct?

Yeah, Bones Brigade skating Is etc.. and Supreme referencing mainly Jordan Is in a lot of shit straight from their beginning. Anyone remember the Supreme flip of the Jordan I wings logo on a tee in about `97?

Big difference: Bones Brigade were somebodys. Some jerk on a fashion message board is nobody. Bone`s Brigade were influential on a culture just like HF was influential on a culture.

You or me rocks something it doesnt change the culture. When somebody important does it can.