brand synergy

cheep

Ok, I go away for a little bit and all of the sudden there is all this stuff being talked about that doesn't make sense if people FUCKING DELETE THEIR OWN POSTS!!!

Then don't say it in the first place!

who deleted what? for shame.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I deleted my posts, although they were quite relevant to the thread, I deleted them because they were causing too much of a distraction. I summed up what I had to say with other peoples posts in any case, so you can get the gist of what was said in the posts I quoted.

i don't get it. why would something that you felt to be quite relevant cause a distraction? if they were relevant to that of post context and thread subject matter, why would they cause a distraction? where you just losing an argument or something?

around these parts, it's considered pussy to delete your posts. wack.

It seems to me that the key to the "brand harmony" element is the fact that it creates something that becomes greater than the sum of its parts. In that sense, "brand synergy" would also apply.

This appeals to me in a similiar manner to the way that well-made clothing appeals to me. The difference beween a merely nice-fitting and nice-looking sport jacket and a nice-fitting, nice-looking and nice qualitysport jacket is that it takes an outfit from being something I appreciate visually to something I can respect.

Similiarly, I can appreciate a nicely fitted outfit of ragtag labels with no shared reference. However, I can respect Milspex's and Seenmy's outfits because I know that they construct their outfits to match certain aesthetics which they understand better than most.

In addition, there was a question of how "runway labels" such as Raf / Ann can be considered to have "brand harmony." Someone argued that they have different philosophies and therefore cannot be associated.

I think it's similiar to how Supreme and W)Taps* are "brand harmonious" because, despite having extremely different "philosophies" (and aesthetically different output in general) they both pull references from a similiar time period and aesthetic, much like how Raf and Ann, although approaching from different angles, both obviously appropriate ideas and forms from "youth movements" and other cultural components.

In addition, they both are part of a modern movement which is at the forefront of "mens high fashion" in that they push the envelope more-or-less consistently. Their movement is essentially a modern one so there is more room to experiment than their is with the already-defined "1993 - 1994 skateboarder" theme, for instance. They target a similiar audience and define a certain spectrum of fashionistas, just as certain brands defined "1993-1994 skateboarder."

Just my two cents.

*from what I've seen of W)Taps, anyway. I don't know that much about the brand so I could be off here, but there are other brands that apply as well.

JackPhotography vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true);

semibored

reputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gif

in response

No, just some people who disagreed with my posts and took it upon themselves to make off topic statements regarding them.

I would rather people be discussing the topic at hand rather than my posts just because I'm new to the forums. And in the end I found much of what I had felt or said in my posts could be summed up in other peoples previous posts.

It seems to me that the key to the "brand harmony" element is the fact that it creates something that becomes greater than the sum of its parts. In that sense, "brand synergy" would also apply.

this very argument in itself nullifies the whole argument for needing harmonious brands. if something is greater than the sum of its parts than just because they don't seem to add up doesn't mean they don't. If you put everything together properly it stops being "these jeans plus those shoes plus that tee" and becomes your fit/style.

this very argument in itself nullifies the whole argument for needing harmonious brands. if something is greater than the sum of its parts than just because they don't seem to add up doesn't mean they don't. If you put everything together properly it stops being "these jeans plus those shoes plus that tee" and becomes your fit/style.

Perhaps 'greater than the sum of the parts' is the wrong way to look at it; the potential good in one piece is removed by the shitness of another.

yea exactly and thats i think what mils is getting at and its what gets me when I see somone wearing a brand totally out of context,because basically when we buy in to these brands who essentially are based on these cultures we are buying thier authenticity and using it to create authenticity within our own look as we want to be part of that culture but from location/time etc we cant be for example I love 90s new york and english football hooligans but i grew up neither on the terraces in the 80s and 90s nor in nyc but by asethetic chioces and reference aswell as through brands i can authenticate chioces in my outfit.

so when its worn out of context by some kid who dosent skate or even know about the brand in question but just knows its 'cool' then itlooks stupid as they have no real authenticity(this would all change if it was being reappropriated by a scene or group and forming a new identity)but on here it isnt as theres no one defined culture behind it just a lot of watered down mixed up references.

This is EXACTLY what I was think but couldn't put into words. Right on Seenmy

do these hypothesis leave any room for brand anarchy? like, if i was to wear supreme and lynx pumps unironically would you guys understand that im calling bullshit on any supposed cultural authenticity a brand might have once its entered the realm of mass culture (which superfuture facilitates). could juxtaposing two brands that stand for very different lifestlyes/cultures also not become greater than the sum of its parts? if i wore a porkpie hat with a fred perry button up and red braces while listening to national front punk records and simultaenously wore rocawear denim and uptowns, would i not be synergizing the cultural implications of my clothing to create a mashup that ends in one big rediculous polictal statement on subculture or race relations? itd be like white culture stealing from black culture and tunring it into hate culture while staying urban about it. would i need a goldchain or ruff ryders medalion to make it work? would it not matter if I did it but really matter if kanye did it? or if mel gibson made a movie about it?

i find this entire discussion very stimulating and also very useless. i could find a solid counter argument to everything written within this thread, especially the points i agree with. i think the eb and fow of culture/fashion renders this discussion obsolete, yet im very entertained by the depth put into the opinions, which are admitedly informed.

*from what I've seen of W)Taps, anyway. I don't know that much about the brand so I could be off here, but there are other brands that apply as well.

Supreme was part of NYC skate culture and references everything that`s around it.

w)taps was part of Harajuku culture and references mainly American shit that Tet is a fan of. The stuff that was around TET growing up in Tokyo (skating, punk music, his friends like Skatething and their interests) and the stuff TET experienced living in San Francisco as an exchange student. More punk music and skating no doubt. The name of TET`s store kinda gives it away.

The label`s other main influence was combat gear and milspec coz TET had adopted surplus gear into his wardrobe since he was a teenager. BDU pants for example..he likes American cars and motorcycles like Takishin, his business partner and friend who heads up Neighborhood. The term "visualuparmored" came from the military terminology for milspec hummers being "uparmored".

Anyways way back since when Supreme opened in Daikanyama (late `90s?) w)taps has been on the racks there too coz Tet and other Tokyo skaters who knew wore the brand already. Collabos came as early too. Back when collabos still meant something.

So I guess w)taps is US West Coast skate culture as interpreted by a Tokyo kid and Supreme is NYC skate culture that that kid appreciated. or whatever.