Recent Purchases. . .

CBM

We have a few friends who own frenchies and haven't had any health issues. Maybe the problem over there is that the breeders don't give a fuck (your words).

Your dog will definitely have breed related health issues (eye problems), as do all types. I’m talking about the congenital problems encouraged by breeders and owners when they demand certain physical traits in their pets, and how these traits aren’t healthy or natural. I’m not hating, it’s a super cute dog and they are fun animals, so enjoy your purchase. He’ll be super fun to have, it’s just not an industry I think is necessarily “good”, but just my opinion.

I heard theres this surgery for flat faced dogs that enables them to breath better, but a lot dogs become hyper because they breath better and arent accustomed to it.

I’ve heard about it too. Never seen in done, but I know it’s super expensive. I’d assume you’re right on the hyperactive part also.

I hear you about health problems and such being a downer. While I feel bad for the dogs, I'm torn as to what the solution is. Do you boycott breeders by not purchasing the pups (only to have the next person in line pick one up) or do you bite the bullet, buy a puppy and aim to provide for it to the best of your abilities, hopefully giving it the opportunity to lead a fulfilling, happy life. Whether or not you buy a French Bulldog, the sad truth is that somebody else will. At least most people who love dogs will do their best to make the dog's life comfortable.

I definitely get what you're saying, and it is a tough topic to draw a decision on. Ideally, people would hit shelters, rescues or adoption centers first instead of paying for pets, but I know that's not realistic for everyone. I think making people aware of the way some dogs are bred and what genetic traits they are encouraging in breeds is the start. I know English and French Bulldogs are popular, but they can't even fuck or give birth on their own, they're literally a dead species without human intervention. I guess the most hopeful scenario is what happened to one of the breeders in our area. They had some pretty bad living conditions for the breeding dogs and people eventually talked about it enough to where the public basically called them on it, business slumped, and they had to shut down. At least people can work to encourage responsible breeders if their gonna be a part of that industry. I think where the problem lies is that most people who buy dogs from breeders only really care about the end product (the cute puppy), and don't necessarily care much about where it comes from or how the physical attributes of certain breeds affect their health. Again, not everyone, but definitely most. I understand paying for breeds with a specific purpose (pointers or labs for bird dogs, greyhounds for racing, because you're breeding in specific qualities which have a real world purpose, and most of those qualities aren't too detrimental to the animal).

And there are also plenty of Japanese chefs that spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on japanese carbon steel knives, I'm sure.

carbon steel does not automatically mean cheap.

that santoku is fine,

but that other chefs thing is pretty ridiculous.

The Ken Onion knives have a recessed handle to avoid scraping your knuckles, the curve on the back is aesthetical I think. It's a really ergonomic knife and my only complaint having used it is the thick bolster. Otherwise it's not much different from a traditional knife.

Is the brand of those knives 'KAI' ? If so, they also make some great tweezers that I picked up at a Lawson, and just recently dropped in this gap between the horizontal and vertical bowl of my toilet. :( They had great grasping strength :o

The Ken Onion knives have a recessed handle to avoid scraping your knuckles, the curve on the back is aesthetical I think. It's a really ergonomic knife and my only complaint having used it is the thick bolster. Otherwise it's not much different from a traditional knife.

I know why they say the handle is how it is, but I think it is unnecessary and ugly. The handle and monstrous bolster would actually make a normal pinch grip a little difficult, I'd imagine.