The Strike Gold

TokenIndianKid

BF- well thank you for correcting. regardless they're his pair and he could do what he pleases. it's just an overall suggestion for those who have unsanforized denim. it doesnt hurt them but definately helps it to hold together in the long run. i know you're around the IH forum sometimes. an owner of a pair of 634SRs didnt presoak before wearing. he kept sending msgs to G about constructional issues with his pair. his crotch blew out. eventually after a few more msgs, they narrowed it down to the owner not pre-soaking his pair.

Edited by llvlaglne

No he doesn't. His jeans never touch water

BF- well thank you for correcting. regardless they're his pair and he could do what he pleases. it's just an overall suggestion for those who have unsanforized denim. it doesnt hurt them but definately helps it to hold together in the long run. i know you're around the IH forum sometimes. an owner of a pair of 634SRs didnt presoak before wearing. he kept sending msgs to G about constructional issues with his pair. his crotch blew out. eventually after a few more msgs, they narrowed it down to the owner not pre-soaking his pair.

And to be fair, Reudi also doesn't hem his denim, so there's quite a few things that he doesn't do that we should. I would definitely soak any unsanforized unwashed denim, but really it sounds like Jon bought a pair that fits him pre-shrinkage, so at this point, soaking would probably ruin them for him.

I also always pre-soak and I wash my jeans and I know it’s better for the denim and stitching and all.

We always say “they are your jeans, do whatever you want with them†but most of the time we still criticize those people thinking about not doing it (and we have fair points).

Except for Ruedi, we accepted that he is a lil’ bit different ;)

Ruedi can't ctand the idea that a pair of jeans/denim get "cut apart", so that's why he won't hem.

Remarkable at this point is, that to become a pair of jeans the denim has to be cut. Right Ruedi? ;)

Oh, I'm gonna try to make it to Zürich soon. I'll text you to be able to visit the museum

And to be fair, Reudi also doesn't hem his denim, so there's quite a few things that he doesn't do that we should. I would definitely soak any unsanforized unwashed denim, but really it sounds like Jon bought a pair that fits him pre-shrinkage, so at this point, soaking would probably ruin them for him.

Hey Juice! You are correct. My pair is not baggy like Reudi wears. I sized down one because I heard the pbj denim stretches so much. And boy did it! They fit perfectly now.

snapback.pngjonmhenderson, on 18 March 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

Reudi, as always, my denim hero! I'd be up for wearing any pair for you would like me to. I'm 5 months into a pair of PBJ XX-007 raw, no soak, no wash.

Nope. Just wear them. That's the Reudi way. His denim never touches water.

Great news from you. Actually no PBJ has reached the musuem so far like many other japan raw denim brands.

Keep go wearing them as long as possible and in a few years you can still keep your retired raw denim project alive for ever at the Jeansmuseum.

And yeah with my 3 step wear concept (office-outddor-dirty work) I don't have any big troubles so far with smelly jeans in the first 2 stages. And at the last step I don't care anymore.

Edited by swiss-jeansfreak

Ruedi can't ctand the idea that a pair of jeans/denim get "cut apart", so that's why he won't hem.

Remarkable at this point is, that to become a pair of jeans the denim has to be cut. Right Ruedi? ;)

Oh, I'm gonna try to make it to Zürich soon. I'll text you to be able to visit the museum

I'll would be happy to see you here at the Jeansmuseum soon.

Just let me know ahead.

And about no soak: Since I'm not a stylish man and because I always wear my stuff a little bit oversized I never have a problem with too tight jeans. And I just cuff too long pants twice or triple.

And yeah I know, that soaking and washing helps to reinforce the fabric.

It's just because I don't wanna loose the original raw denim indigo colour.

And with my loose fit I don't have big crotch troubles I think.

But this is just for me and of cours everybody shall use their pants at their best

And thanks for letting me survive here as a unwashed and unsoaked raw denim exception

I'll would be happy to see you here at the Jeansmuseum soon.

Just let me know ahead.

And about no soak: Since I'm not a stylish man and because I always wear my stuff a little bit oversized I never have a problem with too tight jeans. And I just cuff too long pants twice or triple.

And yeah I know, that soaking and washing helps to reinforce the fabric.

It's just because I don't wanna loose the original raw denim indigo colour.

And with my loose fit I don't have big crotch troubles I think.

But this is just for me and of cours everybody shall use their pants at their best

And thanks for letting me survive here as a unwashed and unsoaked raw denim exception

Indigo isn't water-soluble, so doing an initial soak won't take out any indigo. Any indigo you see in the water is just indigo that isn't bound to the cotton anyway. Also, most denim that I've seen appears darker after the initial soak. Either way, you've been doing it that way for so long, no sense in changing now--do what works!

It's not about loosing indigo colour with washing and soaking.

It's because all kind of raw denim fabrics will change their original raw indigo colour and will turn in to a sort of royal blue after first soak/wash.

This happends o all raw denim stuff no matter which brand.

So in fact it's not about the loss of indigo, but the change of the colour.. You can see this difference at the best in a never washed versus a wsshed Nudie Regular Ralf or old Atelier La Durance and other greencast type brands. Check out for sample the ALD pants from Sufu member grenneye, who has washed his pants after a long time and they look completely different now then before. All the shiny greenish part has gone (and of course all the dirt as well)

I just love the shiny greyish/greenish fadings in a heavy worn in pants. And for that I even risk to get some cracks at the honeycombs area and also having jeans who are not very clean at the end. That's why I have to downgrade them at the end

It's not about loosing indigo colour with washing and soaking.

It's because all kind of raw denim fabrics will change their original raw indigo colour and will turn in to a sort of royal blue after first soak/wash.

This happends o all raw denim stuff no matter which brand.

So in fact it's not about the loss of indigo, but the change of the colour.. You can see this difference at the best in a never washed versus a wsshed Nudie Regular Ralf or old Atelier La Durance and other greencast type brands. Check out for sample the ALD pants from Sufu member grenneye, who has washed his pants after a long time and they look completely different now then before. All the shiny greenish part has gone (and of course all the dirt as well)

I just love the shiny greyish/greenish fadings in a heavy worn in pants. And for that I even risk to get some cracks at the honeycombs area and also having jeans who are not very clean at the end. That's why I have to downgrade them at the end

I love grayish/greenish fades, too. Was hoping I could get that with the 2109 or 3109, but I definitely want to soak.

On Strike Gold jeans it's much more difficult to get the shiny greenish colour because they are on the greycast side not on the greencast side

Got my Strike Gold hoodie a few days ago from Self Edge, tried it on, washed it, and waited for it to dry. Looks like it shrank pretty much spot-on with what SE indicated. Awesome sweatshirt for sure!

What size did ya buy?

My advice: always go by measurements, not tagged size. Self Edge's site makes things really easy for you and there should be very little guess work involved.

The SG sweats to shrink up a bit when washed but with a couple of wears, they stretch out again in my experience (though not quite to pre-wash size).

update on my end...

a little over the 3 month mark at this point on my 1109's with pretty much daily wear...and in a weld/machine shop environment 6-7 days a week so they are fading fast and with an amazing amount of deep blue tones coming through and some really nice lines starting.

no wash yet but 3 hot soaks to get the shrinkage and work stink out.

to the guys wondering if they are too big, just soak them again..mine continued to shrink through all 3 soaks and where i thought they were a little big at first as well, they now fit beyond perfect. May do a little hem on the inseam next time i make it into SENY but otherwise couldn't be any happier with an extremely tough pair of perfect fitting jeans.

Yup, next season we'll have the SG hoodies in even more colors and only the blank versions.

Awesome! So that's in the fall? Will it be the same colors as the graphic versions, or will it be different? I was hoping for a darker green or red.

We won't know the colors till May.

Yup, next season we'll have the SG hoodies in even more colors and only the blank versions.

Any reason for just the blank ones? I don't mind the others I guess is all.

Any reason for just the blank ones? I don't mind the others I guess is all.

We feel that if a garment is at this quality level you'd either want it blank or have graphics which do the garment justice.