england :: london :: general

RobbertJan

i am possibly going back to the uk (salisbury in wiltshire) in a week or so to say my goodbyes to my sick grandma. is there anything even remotely interesting to check out around/near there or within an hour bus/train? i haven't been back to england since i left in 1995 and probably won't be in the mood to go and 'enjoy' london. :(

Edited by conqueror

i am possibly going back to the uk (salisbury in wiltshire) in a week or so to say my goodbyes to my sick grandma. is there anything even remotely interesting to check out around/near there or within an hour bus/train? i haven't been back to england since i left in 1995 and probably won't be in the mood to go and 'enjoy' london. :(

I'm really sorry to hear that … but if you want to know form London Waterloo, you  have a train every 30 minutes to Salisbury for around £40 return (off-peak), if you give me your date and stuff I can even give you, your journey! 

Or from Victoria you'll have to stop at Clapham or Woking! 

any of you guys have an absolute favorite italian restaurant in London?  Specifically looking for the best pasta the city has to offer

Tough one... I rarely eat pasta when I'm out as I like making it, and there are loads of good places to buy it. Olga Stores in Islington, Gallo Nero II in Stoke Newington, or even the supermarket these days.

Pizza is another story. There have been loads of great places opening lately.

Franco Manca in Brixton and Balham, Saporitalia on Portobello Road, Santore on Exmouth Market, Pizza East in Shoreditch and Kentish Town, and Voodoo Ray in Dalston.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone have any comments on these restaurants? 

casse croute

moro

sushi tetsu

honey and co.

rochelle canteen

Casse Croute - went for my birthday. Massively disappointing. Baffled by the glowing reviews it got. Yeah, it IS like somewhere you stumble across in France, except its always rammed, you've waited 4 weeks for a table, and get kicked out after 90 minutes. Food was super basic - just didn't feel like a treat at all. Maybe one for the purists, i dunno.

Moro - consistently excellent since I can remember. Always great. Love going out on Exmouth Market. Morito is also very good, a few doors down.

Rochelle Canteen - a friend of mine raves about it, but I'm yet to go.

Sushi Tetsu - been meaning to go for ages! Meant to be great. Great location too. Go for drinks after in the Jerusalem Tavern.

Casse Croute - went for my birthday. Massively disappointing. Baffled by the glowing reviews it got. Yeah, it IS like somewhere you stumble across in France, except its always rammed, you've waited 4 weeks for a table, and get kicked out after 90 minutes. Food was super basic - just didn't feel like a treat at all. Maybe one for the purists, i dunno.

Moro - consistently excellent since I can remember. Always great. Love going out on Exmouth Market. Morito is also very good, a few doors down.

Rochelle Canteen - a friend of mine raves about it, but I'm yet to go.

Sushi Tetsu - been meaning to go for ages! Meant to be great. Great location too. Go for drinks after in the Jerusalem Tavern.

appreciate the comments. a friend wants to go to casse croute so i figure id take him there my first night in town. 

meaning to check out jerusalem for awhile so ill stop by while im there. 

also, any comments on terroirs near the strand or bull and last up north?

there's a folk sample sale the first day i arrive...any other good sales going on this or next week?

^^ Terroirs on the Strand is nice. It's been a couple of years since I went but would recommend it for a good unpretentious restaurant with an interesting take on wine (all natural and organic or biodynamic). Pricing is reasonable too. Just order plenty of charcuterie and get stuck in!

appreciate the comments. a friend wants to go to casse croute so i figure id take him there my first night in town. 

meaning to check out jerusalem for awhile so ill stop by while im there. 

also, any comments on terroirs near the strand or bull and last up north?

there's a folk sample sale the first day i arrive...any other good sales going on this or next week?

I would definitely go to Terroir rather than Casse Croute. Few beers in The Harp, then wander over the there. Nicer food, and just more fun - basically what Sugar Mountain said! They also own a place called Brawn if you'd rather go east, and Soif if you're south.

Bull and Last is good, not amazing. They do outstanding Scotch Eggs though. I live south now, and don't consider it worth the journey to be honest. It is close to the Southampton Arms though, and that is a fantastic pub. I guess it depends where you live, but if you want somewhere gastropub style for a proper sit down dinner I would go to Great Queen Street or Hope and Anchor for a similar meal for a similar price that is streets ahead (IMO). 

Sample sales - Present are doing one. They're often a complete bun fight though and you'll find yourself queuing for ages, so be warned!

https://twitter.com/PresentLondon/status/405769486055133185/photo/1/large

Have a good one.

argh...im flying back to nyc on the 7th...cant make it. but ive been to present...solid shop. 

ive been to great queen street and anchor and hope (the latter more than 5x) so was trying to find something new but the location is a bit far out of the way for only a decent meal. 

think i might just go back for sentimental purposes. 

how's canton arms? thats in lambeth no?

argh...im flying back to nyc on the 7th...cant make it. but ive been to present...solid shop. 

ive been to great queen street and anchor and hope (the latter more than 5x) so was trying to find something new but the location is a bit far out of the way for only a decent meal. 

think i might just go back for sentimental purposes. 

how's canton arms? thats in lambeth no?

Ah right, wasn't sure if you knew the city but you clearly do. 

I've not been to Canton Arms. You can't book, and thats one of the things I hate about Anchor and Hope. Yeah, its near Stockwell and there isn't loads else round there should you encounter a massive queue. They also have a place in Oxford called the Magdalen Arms and it's dope.

I'm trying to curb my dining out at the moment, but did go to Little Social last Saturday and it was really good. 

http://www.littlesocial.co.uk/

wow...casse croute kind of sucks. i mean, its not bad...just pretty boring. wine list is crap as well. dessert was good but if the best course was dessert, thats a bad sign. 

had some drinks after at the garrison...pretty lively for a neighborhood spot. 

had lunch at st john bread and wine. i dont like st john at all but bread and wine is good for the money. though, you have to order well. 

that folk sale was just horrible. i have to remember that folk stuff is crap these days. real cheap material and not my style. 

went cycling in kent today. gonna go to some shops on monday. any recommendations? gonna stop by albam, present, good hood? anthem?

wow...casse croute kind of sucks. i mean, its not bad...just pretty boring. wine list is crap as well. dessert was good but if the best course was dessert, thats a bad sign. 

had some drinks after at the garrison...pretty lively for a neighborhood spot. 

had lunch at st john bread and wine. i dont like st john at all but bread and wine is good for the money. though, you have to order well. 

that folk sale was just horrible. i have to remember that folk stuff is crap these days. real cheap material and not my style. 

went cycling in kent today. gonna go to some shops on monday. any recommendations? gonna stop by albam, present, good hood? anthem?

Haha. Well, don't say I didn't warn you! I really don't get the hype for that place at all. The Garrison is good though.

I like St John Bread and Wine too. I went for a friends birthday and we had the whole roast pig. Really good.

Sorry to hear about the Folk sale. I've also noticed a drop in quality there.

Shops wise, I usually go...

Shoreditch/Liverpool St - Present, Goodhood, APC, Son of a Stag, Albam. Not been to Anthem yet.

Lamb's Conduit St (Holborn) - Oliver Spencer, that new J-Crew place (probably not a big deal for you though)

West - Dover Street Market, Liberty, Trunk, Garbstore.

you seem to be my new best friend...we agree on everything. 

yeah, in nyc, people are enamored with little hole in the wall places that they tend to not realize the food isnt very good. i figure its the same with casse croute. 

did another ridiculous cycling ride...yorks hill near sevenroad...just plain rough. 

having dinner tonight at moro and stopping in jerusalem for a pint. 

pm me if you want to get lunch friday at rochelle canteen. i think my friend cant make it.

Anyone know when the Liberty sale starts? (and how to get early access, members card?)

/when do all the sales in central start kicking off

good question.

On shops, although its a while out its important you go to LNCC.

if you also go to the rick owns and yamamoto and YSL stores in mayfair whilst your at DSM is well worth your time. Rick Owens london from what i've seen, is the best RO shop! haven't been to paris but have in most other major cities.. Liberty is also a must

you seem to be my new best friend...we agree on everything. 

yeah, in nyc, people are enamored with little hole in the wall places that they tend to not realize the food isnt very good. i figure its the same with casse croute. 

did another ridiculous cycling ride...yorks hill near sevenroad...just plain rough. 

having dinner tonight at moro and stopping in jerusalem for a pint. 

pm me if you want to get lunch friday at rochelle canteen. i think my friend cant make it.

Not in London on Friday I'm afraid. Let me know what it's like in there though!

Enjoy Moro. Always great in there.

ok...a few days later. 

moro was very good. i enjoyed my dinner but i couldnt help but feel like it was very overpriced...i know, its london. dessert, once again, was the best course of the night. i liked it...was about 60 pound/person...packed on a monday night. 

was in paris tue-thur but just got back from dinner at honey and co. thought it was excellent. 29 pound/person...food was delicious and it was a nice vibe...small but lively...something i rarely get in london. get the cheesecake for dessert. 

• 1 month later...