notebook computers

PQRS7

I'm looking for a notebook, but I'm undecided on what I'm going to buy.

I want something which is lightweight, thin and wieldly. Also, it should be constructed nicely with good materials, and well-designed. Good/interesting industrial design is very important to me. I will be using it mostly for casual word processing and internet activities, so I am not too concerned about performance. I'm more interested in good form.

I'll be buying another machine for more serious work later next year. Right now I'm just looking for an ultraportable to use when I don't feel like carrying too much.

Apart from what I've described, I would prefer it to be something unique and visually fascinating.

Here is something which I have been looking at: Sony Vaio x505

111086591d8aa0e6afovk7.jpg

Sony's industrial design has always been one of my favourites. This notebook is extremely thin and light, and made from carbon fibre with a magnesium alloy frame for rigidity. I've been eyeing this model since it came out in 2004. It has a 1024x768 LCD, 1.8" hard drive, no optical drive, no fan, and a mobo the size of a minidisc. Though this is the most portable machine, it's also the most compromized. Still, if I found one of these, selling for the right price, I would consider buying one.

Then, there's this other one here: Panasonic Toughbook W5

376894106f57b4e9941ozy4.jpg

(picture is not of the model I'm considering, but close enough)

I like this because it's thin and lighweight without any drawbacks. The body is constructed with aluminum, making it light and durable. And it's pretty damn light at 2.7lbs considering it has an (up to) 11h battery life. more info here

And of course, we have to look at this one: Apple McBook Pro

125068856fed33a55efbnu2.jpg

I'm not too keen on buying an Apple machine. They seem too diminuitive, are too common and are priced higher than what I'd like to pay. However, I like the aesthetic of the MacBook Pro, especially when closed. The nifty details like the illuminated keyboard and the magnetic electrical cord are nice additions. If I get one of these, I'd be throwing away my strategy of having one lightweight and one powerful machine, but I think that it's worth being considered.

• Are there any other laptops which I should consider?

I still haven't looked through every option, so all suggestions are welcome. Also, if you have something to share about the Vaio or the ToughBook, please do so.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i sold laptops before.. and i also owned some super small ones.. w/out the optical drive.. i s not so great... i 1st thought i probably didnt need much use for it.. but in the end.. that wasnt true..

if ur looking for work use laptop and is durable.. go for IBM x60(12.1inch, 3.5pounds, 6-7hrs battery life(extended battery), 3 yrs warrenty).... or x61..

toughbooks r good stuff... but their price i believe r quite high...

apple r not for u if ur looking for something lightweight... but if ur gonna bring it in and out alot... i dun think u would like the 6-7 pounds of macbook pro

what do u do for work??

personally i think "looks" should come last. I ditto the T60 , or any IBM thinkpad.. sony is way overpriced... IBM thinkpad offers the same magnesium roll cage, finger security , a great backup/restore program and is lightweight and durable.

I currently use a samsung R20. it was cheap for a new laptop at under 800 CDN, + is great for daily campus use.

Dell D620 or D630. These are really nice for the price. I've dealt with hundreds of these for federal investigators, not one has come back with a hardware issue (except the occasional spill or cracked screen from a user fuck up). The thinkpads we recieved for a pilot group were awful. Tons of preloaded shit software and an extra partition that was almost impossible to format.

Did anyone even read the first post? The guy wants an ultraportable. No Mac is ultraportable.

The Panasonic is a great computer.

Other notebooks you should look at:

Toshiba r500 - $2000-2500, 1.2Kg, 12", internal DVD burner

23615.jpg

Sony TZ - $2500-3000, 1.3Kg, 11", internal DVD burner

sonytz2.JPG

Samsung Q30/Dell X1 (same computer) - $2000, 1Kg, 12", no internal DVD burner, but builtin SD/MS/CF reader

productpicturea.jpg

CIMG7786.JPG

The Q30 comes in red, pink, or silver. The X1 comes in the dell color scheme.

The Samsung Q40 has officially been released but is hard as hell to find. Really it's just a faster machine though, you can upgrade everything except for the CPU in a Q30 to Q40 spec.

Of course the price/performance ratio for all of these is dreadful, but that's the price of getting an ultraportable.

Did anyone even read the first post? The guy wants an ultraportable. No Mac is ultraportable.

No, but I read the part where he said he could sacrifice ultra-portability for a macbook.

• 2 weeks later...

Upping this because I have a question regarding buying a new Mac Book via third party.

Basically a friend of a friend got an "extra" MacBook shipped to him. His invoice says "Qty 1" and he was charged for one but he received two. I'm going to buy the other one. Hasn't even been out of the box.

My question is can I take it to an Apple store and register it? I won't have a receipt or anything but I figure they can look up the serial number. Also, the warranty is still good as long as it's been under a year, right?

Any help / info is greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

I love Mac OSX and use it for home and office. But I will never brandish a Macbook in public. I know I'm probably thinking too much into this, but brand consciousness makes me unable to display an Apple product because I despise the public image of the company. I'm almost considering selling my ipod and getting a Zune too.

Yeah thanks Steve Jobs for making decent products with the absolute worst brand connotations and most despicably rabid fanbase in all of corporate America.

I really want a MacBook Pro right now, but just the thought that Apple releases something completely superior a month later is fucking with my mind. After all, the MacBook Pro hasn't really changed (except for specs) since it was first released.

What do you guys think, when is an actual redesign coming out? Is it worth waiting for?

What do you guys think, when is an actual redesign coming out? Is it worth waiting for?

From one of the fanboy rumor mills:

http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-to-release-new-aluminum-macbooks-7456543

It's speculated that the touchpad have iphone functionality.. zooming, etc. It will be awhile before all this happens IMO.. probably announced at the big mac convention next year, whenever that is