notebook computers

PQRS7

Definitely an anticipated product and hyped up, but in my opinion it lived up. I do agree that heat will be an issue, as well as the fact the battery is not user-removable and questionable styling. I think the direction they are going with thinner and lighter is an improvement; ditching the optical drive is definitely practical and where laptops should be heading (ultraportables, at least).

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was great until I saw only 1 usb port, no removable battery, and no ethernet ports.

I think the whole point of not including ethernet ports is that is is the MacBook "Air" = completely wireless internet connection. I'm kind of wondering how expensive the battery would be to replace and whether or not that would be an Apple Care covered repair.

Sans the questionable non-replaceable battery, MBA is a road warrior. If you use more than 1 usb port on the road you should probably just haul your entire office with you. ;)

Kidding, of course.

The Macbook Air is very slick, 3 pounds in total, crisp 13" screen. Honestly that's about it. I'm pretty dissapointed in it actually. 1.4 GHz? Well, that's not horrible for it's size, but frankly it's lacking the outputs I enjoy with Macbook Pro. USB Ports, DVI Port, CD/DVD Drive, etc. This really seems more efficent to anyone looking for casual use; e-mailing, AIM, something more family oriented almost.

Another example of insanely high expectations for a product aimed toward a different demographic. If you need output like a MBP, get an MBP. Ain't nobody CS3'ing with their MacBook Air on battery.

If it makes any difference it's 1.6ghz and optional 1.8ghz..

Though, people will have to acknowledge most of the buyers for ultraportables aren't the right audience anyway. A lot of it is the bleeding tech folks who love smaller/slimmer gadgets.

the styling on this thing is really bugging me. what upsets me most are

1) The thick bezel on the screen

2) The rounded off edges...i really think it was just so apple could say it's .16 inches thick

3) The connectivity latch..kinda tacky i think

4) Black Keyboard

All these minor styling disappointments along with the lack of an ethernet port (my school has shitty wifi) are giving me second thoughts on buying this thing. i've been waiting like 6 months for this thing..and now i dont know if i want to go through with this.

I think the whole point of not including ethernet ports is that is is the MacBook "Air" = completely wireless internet connection. I'm kind of wondering how expensive the battery would be to replace and whether or not that would be an Apple Care covered repair.

Most warranties on laptops don't cover the battery. With the growing acceptance of macs in the large corp environment, the could have at least had an ethernet port instead of a usb dongle.

There are USB Ethernet adapters, like the one Apple is releasing, but for the MacBook Air not to have an Ethernet port in the first place is upsetting. Most people are going to have to use some USB hub to accommodate all their USB needs...

Thoughts when they are going to give the MBP and MB a new design?

alright i got hyped as soon as i saw pics of the macbook air but one thing has me confused

THERES NO CD/DVD DRIVES RIGHT?

Right. Not in the MacBook Air, but there is a peripheral called the Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive (USB connectivity of course) that Apple is selling.

I thought it was great until I saw only 1 usb port, no removable battery, and no ethernet ports.

yeah, the one usb port is one of my major complaints

but why does it matter if the battery is removable?

I've never in my life had to replace a laptop battery

and for most consumers, it's 6 years (tops) before they retire to the closet

and as for the ethernet port, it's not really necessary when you can just use a usb dongle.

Sans the questionable non-replaceable battery, MBA is a road warrior. If you use more than 1 usb port on the road you should probably just haul your entire office with you. ;)

Kidding, of course.

the thing is that it wouldn't have been a big deal for them to just add one more usb port

but because they didn't, it will cause a lot of inconvenience

alright i got hyped as soon as i saw pics of the macbook air but one thing has me confused

there's no optical drive built in

you could use a usb drive though

this is a good thing with the new formats coming in and all that

im not too impressed with the mba...

its a pretty interesting and definitely gadget, but for the first time im really not impressed with a new apple product, and i cant really tell how well this thing is going to sell.

its definitely a niche product, but maybe its too niche?

id still like to play with it though.

I know, I do Flash websites with a company, and I was hoping it would just be a more slimmer Macbook Pro, with the same power and outputs. Sadly though it seems more for a casual/school use rather than business. I'm sure it's great to bring to class though.

It definitely is trying to capture the idea of ultraportable while promoting the idea of being completely wireless.

As for the MBP comment, they wouldn't dare cannibalize their pro sales.

i will wait for multi-touch get to the macbook pro

So, you're going to spend $2000+ just for some multi-touch gestures? Third party firmware is all over that in a few months.

Yes, you're right.

Thoughts when they are going to give the MBP and MB a new design?

They just finished a year's cycle of branding with the new Intel chips and consolidating their computer lines... MB is recent, and the MBP is here to stay.

im not too impressed with the mba...

its a pretty interesting and definitely gadget, but for the first time im really not impressed with a new apple product, and i cant really tell how well this thing is going to sell.

its definitely a niche product, but maybe its too niche?

id still like to play with it though.

Yeah it might be too niche, but I'm annoyed at all the critiques from the pro perspective. It's not just an ultraportable laptop... it's supposed to be pushing the idea of going completely wireless... with integrated Apple services. It makes sense... but it probably won't do as well as other products. A lot of it might hinge on the success of the complimentary software and services that would make it worthwhile to say goodbye to the wires.

yeah, the one usb port is one of my major complaints

but why does it matter if the battery is removable?

I've never in my life had to replace a laptop battery

and for most consumers, it's 6 years (tops) before they retire to the closet

and as for the ethernet port, it's not really necessary when you can just use a usb dongle.

I've replaced my battery twice on my 12inch pb because of battery recalls. My company had to replace over 60 of them last year because of recalls.

the usb connectivity will be a pain in the ass as well, the wireless internet at my dorm sucks so ill need an ethernet connection for sure..

Save some money and get a MacBook. Is there any reason why you desperately need your laptop to be ultra portable?

You're at a dorm, not jetsetting. Get yourself a cheaper and more useful alternative. The Air obviously isn't for the dormitory lurker.

haha I wish. I had to work so I didn't even see the keynote. I had most of the info few days ago and I'm getting too old to get excited by apple's hype.

Back to the Air, it doesn't bother me that it doesn't have a cd drive. I can't imagine that someone would buy it as their only computer. Most of the stuff was fairly predictable but this number was a little surprise

ssdfj0.jpg

The Air seems silly to me.

They're going to be hitting a very small market with this product.

Why not use the developmental $$$ elsewhere?

Not getting much of the overall marketshare here.

The people I can see going for this are jouralists and extremely heavy travelers.

Of course, by targeting jouralists, Apple gets media and press coverage, blah.

Usually I'm all over the latest innovation or release, but this one is just disappointing.

yeah i agree... 1G for SSD is crazy shit.

I fairly recently bought a MB as my coffee table computer. If I had the option I would have bought the air so my living room looks nicer and I seem more on trend amongst my friends... thats it.

Anyone who is considering getting this as their main computer you are an idiot. If it's your second computer it's a great idea in my opinion.

The Air seems silly to me.

They're going to be hitting a very small market with this product.

You would be surprised. I work in IT and I'm getting 3 of those for my clients. Neither of them are heavy travelers but they want something light when they leave town. I'm sure I'll have around 10 orders by the weekend. People said the same thing about the iPhone, it's too expensive and almost nobody will buy it and now we've seen the numbers...