notebook computers

PQRS7

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, and they are finally starting to get cheaper.

Core 2 Duo U7500 2x 1.06GHz ULV • 1024MB • 80GB • DVD+/-RW DL

one with those specs only costs 1700 euros now, as opposed to almost 3000 when the first series of TX notebooks came out with single core 900 mhz, 512mb, 30gb, and only a CD Burner/DVD reader. But if I wanted an ultraportable right now I'd get the Toshiba R500. 12.1", 0.98Kg (less than the sony actually, because the toshiba is thinner), builtin DVD Burner, LED Backlit screen, and in some fucking miracle of engineering they managed to squeeze a 2.5" hard drive in there so you can get up to 160GB.

but i already have an ultraportable and i'm encoding lots of DVDs and working with pictures from my 30D recently and it's a fucking pain, so I want something faster.

I haven't bought anything yet.

and I'm glad I haven't.

I've only realized now that having an ultra-portable is extremely crucial, and that there's no way I could buy anything even slightly large/heavy.

I'm hearing that Apple is expected to release a 'thin book'. Any information on this? It sounds like something which might fit my needs.

and please, more suggestions for specific models.

X-series are extremely portable. I think mine weights like 3 pounds with the extended battery.

There's a 20% off coupon code for the Thinkpad X-series right now (USPANNIV2628). It's a pretty sweet deal.

Review: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-x61s/4505-3121_7-32465540.html?tag=prod.txt.1

• 2 months later...

ya.. lets hope its not plastic...

the macbook i have.. well.. compared to my old 12inch samsung which is considered portable at the time(heats up faster than a car)... is much better, but it seems after 5-10 mins of using it, it starts getting a bit warm...

i heard that the macbook air wont have a video card, but being that thin, it seems as if it will be heating up pretty quickly unless it have some nextlevel cooling shit happening

I dont think I'll miss those things

but what I don't like is how there's only 1 usb port

that's really bad because I need to plug in my mouse, the usb network adaptor, and usb drives.

and I dont want to carry a usb hub

I also don't like how there's barely any styling. It's like their whole design mantra is to make everything as simple as possible. It seems like they are floating away from the whole Dieter Rams Functionalism idea and moving closer towards profit-maximizing designs.

the macbook air doesnt look quite as nice as the mock up imo

$1800

design_displayair20080115.jpg

i really wish apple made it smaller and got rid of those thick borders around the screen. but i guess then they wouldnt have been able to fit in a full sized keyboard

im still deciding whether or not ill be buying it. my main concern is how hot this thing is gonna get

The Macbook Air is very slick, 3 pounds in total, crisp 13" screen. Honestly that's about it. I'm pretty dissapointed in it actually. 1.4 GHz? Well, that's not horrible for it's size, but frankly it's lacking the outputs I enjoy with Macbook Pro. USB Ports, DVI Port, CD/DVD Drive, etc. This really seems more efficent to anyone looking for casual use; e-mailing, AIM, something more family oriented almost.