The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

So i did a tea wash! Denim purists may cringe but I was getting bored with the NS, and wanted something a bit dirty looking.

Careful there, have you any knowledge what amino acid theanine or those nasty polyphenolic antioxidant catechins (tannins) can do to the delicate cotton fibers of sacred denim?!?

Truthfully, they came up nice! :)

Careful there, have you any knowledge what amino acid theanine or those nasty polyphenolic antioxidant catechins (tannins) can do to the delicate cotton fibers of sacred denim?!?

Truthfully, they came up nice! :)

I agree, they look great. Just like some CKs I bought in 2003 when brown/green tinted denim was hot. I've also still got some Levi's Austin bootcuts from the same year which have a strong yellow tint across the entire jean. I don't wear either anymore. You can see the Levi's here at the right circa March 2003 with the CKs directly underneath (don't flame me for the A&F stuff, it was a long time ago!).

P3030323.jpg

B.

Thanks for all the comments guys-

Shorty long- I know, they actually had brown marks around sides from where my satchel had rubbed in the rain a thousand times, and yellowish parts around my ankles from walking- but not much on the thighs, as I work in an office... - But I have so many synth indigo X bleached weft jeans I was getting sick of that same bluey hue.

Id be interested in persimmon juice dyeing... maybe for my PBJs when I fade em a bit more.

skull jeans by an alchemist 5010XX 6x6 "SJC" -- skull jeans contest.

one year of wear as of september 1st, 2008; 5 washes, one ocean wash, at least four or five fuck you's from the rain gods.

frontbn7.jpg

the rest of the pictures i took for the end of the skull contest can be found at the blog in my sig if you are interested (just click on the patch.) they are high resolution so i didn't post them here, didn't want to break tables.

viv-

how exactly did you wash with the tea? did you stick teabags into your washing machine? I'm interested from a logisitics standpoint... not sure I would do it myself, but the results are nice.

If he did thats hardcore, I would just throw them in a really hot bath with some soap.

Well- it wasnt really a wash- just a soak n rinse.

In a clean sink. - - tea would stain the bath!

I just put loads of tea bag in :-)

I think they look great. And you can walk around with that dirty look, but still actually be wearing something clean...

what's cleaner, tea or sweat? debatable...

looks cool though.

When I get bored I take pictures of old denim. Here's a pair that I've posted at least 5 times before (and little has changed since then...) Levi's Premium 519, 2+ years worn for only about 13 months on and off, first wash after 7 months, countless washes after that. Second pic is most representative of actual color although flash makes them a bit more contrasty...

img3462qi6.jpg

img3461ei0.jpg

img3463dv8.jpg

Id be interested in persimmon juice dyeing... maybe for my PBJs when I fade em a bit more.

Seemed interesting to me too, my mom has a couple persimmon trees so I thought it wouldn't be difficult for me to harvest the fruit, until I read that you have to ferment the juice 2-3 years before it gets the right color for dyeing. But after I'm done with my contest jeans, I might play around with some kakishibu (persimmon juice dye)

I rotate these with some black cheap mondays, so they haven't been worn very hard.

1 soak at 4 months, 2 washes since then. They're still very dark, although sime nice mid-blue is coming through. I think they need/deserve more dedication than I'm giving them :(

Photos taken in the harsh Australian sunlight with a Canon Ixus, contrast adjusted slightly in iPhoto to show truest representation of colour possible. Cheers.

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

Whodinihimself posted up his 606s recently (which were fucking dope). These are their counterparts. Released in Japan in Winter 2005.

I wore these solidly for about 1.5 years, they're pretty much retired now as the crotch is about to blow out and I'm too lazy to get them repaired... Photos = same deal as the Momotaros above. Cheers

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg