japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Yeah, while Japanese won't outrightly admit it, they have a slight superiority complex towards Chinese/South-east Asians and an inferiority complex with the west. So it'll be impossible for a chinese guy to break in, especially if you don't speak the language. Although there is that one グラビアIdol who broke in from Taiwan. But she's a slut, haha.

Im pretty sure both Tokyo and HK are bad places to start modeling if you want to work much. There's good agencies in Tokyo, but they'll have to fancy contract models and won't really push any guys that are already there because there's no pressure for them to do so. If you're just a skinny white kid you'll work a here and there and it's somewhat fun, but there isn't a lot of chance you'll land on anything big. It also depends on your age and other stuff.

But as herp said, if you're asian but not half or japanese then you're pretty much out of luck.

Is modeling in jpland still mostly contract based? Most of the models I know that go to Japan are usually hard up for money (or having a hard time booking jobs in the states), so he/she will enter into say a 2 month contract for 25k. Which sounds good, however while you're there, the agency can decide to make you work 4-5 days a week, for 10 hours a day with horrible working conditions, sometimes without any additional compensation. Also, if you don't speak the language, you generally are not treated very well.

Moreover, depending on how serious of a model you want to be and the jobs you do in jp, a lot of the pictures you take will be of no use for your book, so basically you'll be working for moniez but not really advancing your career much. That is, if you plan on working in New York or London.

Also, you have to learn these standard japanese poses, but maybe these days the industry has gotten away from that. Any info or confirmation on the above would be appreciated.

Arigato.

They are all half-Japanese, no? At least all the men's non-no guys are half-Japanese / half-something else...you definitely can't have slanty eyes to get into Men's non-no, etc. magazines anymore...

i've know that half nonjap blacks (and 100% blacks) have done various modelling jobs, but usually for the more high profile jobs/publications you've gotta be half black half jap.

its good to have jap-blood...

Is modeling in jpland still mostly contract based? Most of the models I know that go to Japan are usually hard up for money (or having a hard time booking jobs in the states), so he/she will enter into say a 2 month contract for 25k. Which sounds good, however while you're there, the agency can decide to make you work 4-5 days a week, for 10 hours a day with horrible working conditions, sometimes without any additional compensation. Also, if you don't speak the language, you generally are not treated very well.

Moreover, depending on how serious of a model you want to be and the jobs you do in jp, a lot of the pictures you take will be of no use for your book, so basically you'll be working for moniez but not really advancing your career much. That is, if you plan on working in New York or London.

Also, you have to learn these standard japanese poses, but maybe these days the industry has gotten away from that. Any info or confirmation on the above would be appreciated.

Arigato.

It depends what kind of work you want to do. I started by doing jobs for a friend who was doing press work with some compagnies which led to doing easy mag jobs and eventually some other model brought me to his agency. With an agency it's just a matter of going to castings and having a good book. Japanese work will usually not be used in books in europe from what I heard and if you have good pictures from europe it's a huge bonus in Japan.

I don't know about not being treated well. Ive never heard of that to be honnest, contract guys get by pretty well unless they don't meet the minimum job requirement. I was a good agency with lots of guys who did big campains (ysl, prada, etc) and they'd get a lot of good work.

It really isn't as great when you're actually living there because the agencies have no reason to try to book you so much because you don't have a contract like outside guys and you'll always be around anyway. The jobs paid more through my agency for me though so it made up for it.

Overall, I'd say it was pretty boring actually... but I wasn't that great either haha.

so rajio's kaneshiro takeshi comment was spot on.

anyway kaneshiro looks better than her. no homo.

the question is: who's japanese is shittier (although kaneshiro got pretty good...)?

how is leah dizon's japanese?

i assume it ain't too good, cause she usually has a translator present. i can't say that i've heard too much of her jap, besides random (and rehearsed) phrases from commercials...

at least she looks better than that half taiwan bitch above.

i think if you get a surgery here, add some botox there, colored contacts and a good hair dye job. You could be like a mixed and land a job in japan. Do show us how it goes!

^seiji were u/are u a model? if so, what mags/campaigns were you featured in?

no i've never be a model in Japan because i never stayed there more than one or two months but i still get proposals to become a model when i am walking in the streets or in depato. They are called walking advisor. I will call them if i have the opportunity to go to Japan with a university exchange and do this as an arbeito. I think the criteria are not very high because in France it has never happened for me. Another thing, you must be very tight and over 175cm to become a model in Japan. The guy i met who features for nonno is 185cm for 62kgs. nearly an angaals =].

brissyboy: i think it will be difficult to become a model in Japan if you don't master the language. Anyway it is difficult to make a living with this job in Japan and there are few evolutions if you work for a small agencies (most agencies are small). if you really want to make a career as a model you should try western companies which are seeking typical asian (chinese) looking models and maybe you would be sent in Japan after. I know a girl who worked for marie claire japan sent from France so it is possible. Have a look to some issey miyake or yohji's fashion show and check if you have this profile.

Im gonna make reservations for the brodown dinner this Saturday and need preferences on cuisine and price range. Send me a pm with what you are feeling. Otherwise, I'm gonna go ghetto Jonathan's (j/k). Probably cheap izakaiya but maybe you guys are up for some balla status Midtown Kafka or 57 ish. If you have recommendations, eating restrictions, let me know! Oh, feel free to bring your gfs, yari-tomo, mistresses too.

http://www.rasinban-za.com/tomoru.html <-- This place is actually pretty decent (did a gocon here)

http://www.kafka-d.jp/

http://www.fiftyseven.co.jp/

This is true, alot of ppl offering you castings and stuff, never happened in my own country, but in Tokyo almost daily (Shibuya,Harajuku etc.). They wont pay you that much I guess, someone offered 20 000 yen for magshoot.

People approaching you in the street are usually just from cheap mags or stuff like that. If you plan on actually working, it's best not to do any of that and go straight to an agency. Agencies aren't as receptive if you've already done shit work.

Im gonna make reservations for the brodown dinner this Saturday and need preferences on cuisine and price range. Send me a pm with what you are feeling. Otherwise, I'm gonna go ghetto Jonathan's (j/k). Probably cheap izakaiya but maybe you guys are up for some balla status Midtown Kafka or 57 ish. If you have recommendations, eating restrictions, let me know! Oh, feel free to bring your gfs, yari-tomo, mistresses too.

http://www.rasinban-za.com/tomoru.html <-- This place is actually pretty decent (did a gocon here)

http://www.kafka-d.jp/

http://www.fiftyseven.co.jp/

so how was it? who showed up? any good stories? any bitches?

thanks.