to all studio d'artisan fans( hate to bring this to you)

edmond

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well -- check the no more Warehouse thread

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=34424

As of right now - with the information that I was given - this is the 4th Japanese company that has to give up Repro cuts - Levi's Repro cuts..

The whole law suit thing is going way beyond getting rid of arcs and Tabs...

Well -- check the no more Warehouse thread

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=34424

As of right now - with the information that I was given - this is the 4th Japanese company that has to give up Repro cuts - Levi's Repro cuts..

The whole law suit thing is going way beyond getting rid of arcs and Tabs...

Four? That's WH, Sam and SDA. Who's number 4 (don't tell me it's SC)?

production of anything that has the patented tab and arcuate stitching.

this guy's going to be a perma-noob or something.

do people rip edmond so much because:

1: he has an extensive collection( full of shit everyone else wants, but cant aquire)

2: he asks questions many probably are scared to ask,or

3:it's the "cool" thing to do, and an easy way to feign authentic knowledge? :confused:

well folks, buy up while you can. this is looking like the beginning of the end for the repro. you have been warned.

How inventive could it be..this is a desaster / if Japanese denim companies are not making any ANY ANY traditional or regular or repro or 47 or 66 or 45 or whatever anymore - what's left ??

GAP or BlueBlood or H&M style Jeans ???

IT'S RUDICULOUS

To be honest I really dont like this change because then the forms of the products of each brand all have to be re-evaluated for another purchase - and this takes time. However, I think in some ways this is going to be very interesting and exciting. I doubt that SDA or whoever else is going to totally change their general sillouette, I bet they would keep more or less the same profile but rather than be designed as "47 501s" they would be designed as "low rise straight leg" or "high rise with slight taper" or something that ultimately is not a million miles away from the old 40s 50s levi aesthetic that all these Amerkaji brands work from. Yknow? So personally im not going to panic buy, as i imagine Ill still be able to get a very similar jean after the changes, albeit not a strict repro in regards to details etc etc..

I dont think they will change too much, they will still keep the amerkaji look, with "vintage" cut jeans and western shirts etc...

P.s. - Has no one bought the full count 15th anniverary jeans? Is anyone tempted by eternals new 48000 yen jean?

Full Count - http://world.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fitem.rakuten.co.jp%2fbears%2ffullcount-1101-15%2f

I know their sold out as of which there is no stock but you can find em elsewhere with yellow buttons.....

I posted pics of eternals jean in the eternal ( heh! ) thread..

Hmm - it all depends on how far the Levi's ..ers are taking this..Maybe the Japanes companies will have to send sample cuts for measurement references...

Sounds like a long shot - but forcing (so far 4) pretty big denim companies to get rid of Arcs, Tab AND Repro style cuts would've sounded like a long shot , too...

In the end - looks to me like the big fish is not getting enough minnos these days...

Hmm - it all depends on how far the Levi's ..ers are taking this..Maybe the Japanes companies will have to send sample cuts for measurement references...

It was my understanding that Levi's had a registered trademark on the arcs and tabs. I didn't think they had any ownership of the shape. Is this wrong?

I don't think that Levi's can get an injunction to stop these brands from continuing to use the silhouettes they're using for 2 reasons:

1. Though they describe their cuts and "47" and "66" etc., the silhouettes they're currently using I'm sure are slightly different from Levi's silhouettes from that era. For example, the SD-103 may be 47 or 66 inspired, but certainly looks different than say the LVC 47 or LVC 66

2. I'm not sure legally whether Levi's can stop other brands from making jeans with the same silhouettes. If they could, wouldn't Dior be able to stop Self Edge and Iron Heart from making their SExIH jeans with the "21 cm cut"? And Denime still calls their products 505, WWII, etc. so I'm sure the silhouette isn't the issue.

I think the Japanese companies are realising that if the arcuates and red tabs are being taken away from them, it's probably time to rethink their business plans. ie. if true reproductions can't be done anymore, then it's probably best to go in a different direction.

It was my understanding that Levi's had a registered trademark on the arcs and tabs. I didn't think they had any ownership of the shape. Is this wrong?

You're right that they probably don't have trademarks for the shape/cut of the jeans...but in my experience, demand letters ask for several things, even if they have no protection for them. They only have a few things to rely on for brand image, and it looks like they're deathly protecting the little that they have.

PS - the reason why people jump on the bash-edmond-bandwagon is because he's so fucking nice and puts up with everyone's bullshit attitudes. Frankly, if I received the flack that Edmond does, all of my posts would start with FUCK YOU...but then again that's probably why I don't get that flack. Stand your ground Ed. ;)

this news is not the end of the world..

Even if SDA changes all of their cuts and arcs/patches all together, their stuff with the arcs and patches will be available on rakuten for a while - look at sugarcane/flathead you can still get the arcs if you wanted

And SDA always finds a way to make people love their quirky designs, I love everything they put out (have you seen the SDA socks with the piggies?) I'm sure whatever they come up with will be a success..