to all studio d'artisan fans( hate to bring this to you)

edmond

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the link:

SD-103 SD-003

SD-101 SD-001

SD-105

SD-201 SD-202 SD-203 SD-203R

SD-301 SD-302 SD-303

SD-D1002

SD-D01 SD-D02

DP-292

Ah, you misread.

SAMURAI cut, not Studio-D'artisan cut.

To me, SAMURAI cuts aren't very repro-like... it's the details they add to it.

I am also very curious how Levi's could win a legal battle over the cut of their jeans. Intellectual property law normally requires proof of a very specific infringement (i.e. a red tab between the two pockets...) to keep trademarks from being overly broad. To say that a pair of jeans is 'modeled' after their original design is ludicrous when all jeans are modeled after their design. Lacoste could not keep RL from making the polo shirt. Barring the use of actual Livis branding it is a different product.

I think part of the problem here is that the Japanese companies might not have put together a joint legal front. I don't know how they have gone about doing this but Levis seems to be demanding far more than they are entitled to. As mentioned above, corporations are notorious for sending out compliance letters for things they have no right to ask, just hoping that they won't be questioned. A take-down letter for a website is one thing, but the livlihood of a revered denim company is quite another.

FIGHT DAMNIT!

You're right that they probably don't have trademarks for the shape/cut of the jeans...but in my experience, demand letters ask for several things, even if they have no protection for them. They only have a few things to rely on for brand image, and it looks like they're deathly protecting the little that they have.

PS - the reason why people jump on the bash-edmond-bandwagon is because he's so fucking nice and puts up with everyone's bullshit attitudes. Frankly, if I received the flack that Edmond does, all of my posts would start with FUCK YOU...but then again that's probably why I don't get that flack. Stand your ground Ed. ;)

i will mate .. i will stand my ground i may not be perfect but i try to endure everyones hate here anyways one thing that makes me endure all those hate is beacuse of these japanese repro denim... thats all and people like you gimme and beatle.

maybe you should buy the store.

dont worry poly ive talked to take5 on bringing his stuff here to manila and ill be opening up a store here.. dont worry time will tell..

Okay...enough ragging on Edmond.

Fact:

-SDA is cutting lots of models

-SDA fans will cry

-Edmond will buy more jeans

Thread over.

hey not more just a couple of more and MORE to sell here.. haha

I am also very curious how Levi's could win a legal battle over the cut of their jeans. Intellectual property law normally requires proof of a very specific infringement (i.e. a red tab between the two pockets...) to keep trademarks from being overly broad. To say that a pair of jeans is 'modeled' after their original design is ludicrous when all jeans are modeled after their design. Lacoste could not keep RL from making the polo shirt. Barring the use of actual Livis branding it is a different product.

I think part of the problem here is that the Japanese companies might not have put together a joint legal front. I don't know how they have gone about doing this but Levis seems to be demanding far more than they are entitled to. As mentioned above, corporations are notorious for sending out compliance letters for things they have no right to ask, just hoping that they won't be questioned. A take-down letter for a website is one thing, but the livlihood of a revered denim company is quite another.

FIGHT DAMNIT!

The following is just my understanding, I don't follow this religiously and I am NOT a lawyer.

Clothing and the fashion industry are often cited as a successful business model that functions on innovation and doesn't provide IP protections (beyond trademarks such as the adidas 3 stripes, levis arcuates, nike swoosh, etc). General looks, themes, cuts, garment shapes can't be protected. I kind of wonder if these changes are something other than Levi's throwing its weight around. Does anyone know the reason behind the changes?

not so much that, but it's everyone complaining about Levis again. how many people honestly own a pair of SDAs to begin with?

I'm gonna agree with Poly and say that this thread sucks because the levi's issue has been beaten to death. Use one of the 5000 levi's lawsuit threads if you want to bump the subject. Unless anyone else here is a trademark agent or IP lawyer, we have nothing left to discuss.

And I own a pair of SDA's btw. ;)

^^ lol ^^

but ey whomever thought I was trying to be mean to edmond I wasn't .. I was willing to give a hug and be the shoulder to cry on ..

just not for more than 30 seconds or so ..

that is all

I wouldn't worry about it too much for now. I believe SDA's 07 winter collection will be delivered as planned, as Take 5 had pictures of it on their website, and I don't see them suddenly calling back all of their production.This might not affect their line before next year, so no need to freak out and rush on Rakuten, I'm confident their current line will still be available for a few more months.

Thread has exploded..

Still - I have word on the fact that Levi's is trying to prohibit / and already is doing so / some Japanese companies from making repro cuts.

How they are doing it ? I have no idea , since I don't think that they have a patent on any of their cuts...

Fact is , that they have way more financial background than any small Japanese brand - and that's probably scary enough for most of them.

What I hate most about this is that it's a "lawsuit" that will change "fashion" or what styles are out there...

It's no change caused by demand of public taste - it's forced change by a single company that wants to run the market.

Honestly - I think Levi's should have tried to work out some kind of positive coop - instead of just trying to crush them...

Really - I am missing style in this whole operation..and that alone seals it for me - I am not buying their stuff..

LOL - big threat , I know...Beats got the big bucks and I am gonna ruin those bastards...I'll suck them dry..

levis is trying to crack down on companies producing denim

jeans with the classic 5 pocket layout. The Japanese brands are a main focus

right now but I don't think they're alone in this. They seem to be an easy

target because they're small companies and they're using blatant Levi-esque

details.

Levi's does feel that they hold claim to the modern 5 pocket jean layout and

although its not trademarked they are doing what they can to persuade others to

cease producing them....

so... looks like some interesting things ahead