Five Favourite Cars

rome1

How much money do you have, in liquid assets?

If you don't have at least $10k to throw at repair bills, don't do it. German cars are huge PITAs to fix. My buddy has an 88 M3 and he has never had a trouble-free moment.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i did some research and read about the e30 325is being one of the most reliable out of the generations. dont know if these are just biased statements but i dont have much in liquid assets. btw i want the 325i, not the m3 which i have heard has significantly more problems.

mclaren-f1-lm.gif

McLaren F1 LM

I admit there are supercars now that can out perform it (Caparo T1 for instance) but I have been in love with this car since I was a kid. With only 5 ever made, they are literally priceless. McLaren is the only constructor ever to win Le Mans (1995) in its debut season and they did it with this car. The standard F1 remains the fastest naturally aspirated production car to this day, 16 years after its 1993 release, and the 4th fastest production car of all time. The F1 is perhaps the greatest achievement in automotive history, and the F1 LM is its high performance variant (I believe it is the first road car to accelerate to 60mph in under 3 seconds).

Speaking of 2JZs, I saw this old (50s) white dude in a "tuned" MKIV non-turbo targa

Blank-Facepalm.gif

Also saw a sweet old lady driving a BMW Z1 yesterday, that was way more cool.

yea its definatly an advantage to have good aftermarket support. the cabrios are nice looking but having owned a 1996 miata, i know how prone old convertibles are to leaks and lack of noise insulation and dont want to deal with the hastles. still trying to find a nice hardtop coupe. ill probably aim towards getting mine to look something like this.

Flori2.jpg?t=1243285106

mclaren-f1-lm.gif

McLaren F1 LM

I admit there are supercars now that can out perform it (Caparo T1 for instance) but I have been in love with this car since I was a kid. With only 5 ever made, they are literally priceless. McLaren is the only constructor ever to win Le Mans (1995) in its debut season and they did it with this car. The standard F1 remains the fastest naturally aspirated production car to this day, 16 years after its 1993 release, and the 4th fastest production car of all time. The F1 is perhaps the greatest achievement in automotive history, and the F1 LM is its high performance variant (I believe it is the first road car to accelerate to 60mph in under 3 seconds).

I don't think you can really compare the caparo to the mclaren.

It's kind of a no-brainer to make an incredibly light, F1-like chassis and drop a high-performance engine into it but IMO, it takes a lot more effort to make the car beautiful and then make it a world class high performing vehicle. The caparo bursts into flames when driven hard!

BTW, have anyo f you seen the BATs? more bertone ftw

1955alfaromeobertonebatp.jpg

Feelin the Hermes grilling, gonna add that to my Civic.

Evilcrrayon, you are the Realmyth of cars.

Don't know who Realmyth is but I like random cars. If you didn't know what I posted before, Alpina B7

nsx2.jpg

nsx1.jpg

nsx3.jpg

nsx6.jpg

Gotta have love for the NSX. JGTC-inspired widebody kit with taitec exhaust and route ks wing. I love the interior though with the push button start, kill switches, and especially that SARD gauge.

pic0003.jpg

pic0001.jpg

Route KS' own NSX in holland.

The NSX is one of those cars that doesn't really need any work done to the engine to be amazing. It is perfect out of the box but if you add a simple intake and an exhaust, it becomes beautiful.

Alpinas are too easy to fake, they're just wheels and a lip plus some seat ribbons if you're into that shit. Nobody in developed countries should really think that highly of BMW's anymore.

I'll forego a favorite car in history to bring you a favorite current/recent car by country:

USA:

Dodge Challenger SRT8, good road presence, nice styling, good potential.

Japan:

Not lots to excite you since the sports car game died, i guess the GT-R is a default

Gemrany:

Carrera GT, by default. Germany may never bring something like that to the table ever again.

France:

Veyron, same story as the C-GT

italy:

Quattroporte refresh, Sport GT-S. Best 4-door car on the market; last of the Ferrari-make Masers, 4 doors, Pininfarina body, hard to fuck with

England:

Aston V12 Vantage, the vents and extra shit is just right on this car, the DBS looks ricey with the lower intakes

Honorable mention, Korea and the Hyundai Genesis sedan, this is what I see all day. It's not a terribly bad car, fundamentally. Styling wise, it's the first Korean car to not make me sick, mechanically, it's all there.

real talk, those are some nice cars but i could never see myself driving one. i like 7-series BMW for the whole VIP thing and it's just comfortable and a pleasure to drive.

you're right about japan out of the sports car game though. it's just the evo and sti and only because of the demand for 4wd turbos. if it wasn't for the evo, i doubt mitsubishi would still be selling cars.

and i figured that i my two dream cars to have would be a BMW 7series or m5 and then a porsche 911 gt3 as my weekend ride. I could just go down the center and go with the porsche 911 turbo though. ultimate dd.

i guess i just don't like anything... too flashy? or exotic brands.

ferrari pretty much continues to make maseratis.. and regarding the veyron, i don't feel it at all. it's a car in a class of its own, engineering-wise, but I don't see anything groundbreaking regarding it's aesthetic. Considering the concept was created for a 550 hp engine, and later upgraded to the 1000hp, it wasn't about making a non-fussy shape to make sure the big engine (and 13 radiators) was going to fit. it also has a vomitacious exclusivity to price ratio... the base model costs around 1.3 million euros, and they continue to spew out "special editions" of it as well as the targa. I would be livid if I bought the V thinking they would actually keep their initial promise of a limited run of 300.

If i wanted a mad exclusive high performance car without recurring to one-offs I would get myself a zonda.