LVC Fall 2007 US Collection

Crackerhead

So electrum, how much do the 1873s run you in Levi's SF?

I paid the tidy sum of $501.oo for the 1873 501. High? You bet, but not bad considering that the many designer Levi wannabe labels sell for anywhere from $200 up in to the $1000 range. These are the real thing, and I feel fortunate that I was able to purchase a limited museum-quality reproduction piece that embodies America's rich heritage -- something that is hard to find today.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my lvc 1873's today. There are good and bad points. First the good: The 1873 style jean is fantastic. The cut, single offset riveted back pocket, crotch rivet, suspender buttons and bone white leather patch make for a very neat pair of jeans. Then there's the color, it's a light yet intense indigo that has a briny seawater look -- the best indigo I've ever seen. Now the bad: These jeans are not what I call rigid. The rigid self-edge STF Levi's I remeber were as stiff as a surfboard and had a lustrous sheen. These have a soft hand and are dull -- what a turn off. There are a couple small snags, one on the back pocket (very noticeable) and one on l. inner leg. A piece of loose thread about an inch long was in the box the jeans came in. I pulled on the thread and it snapped very easily. The cinch buckle appears made of cheap chrome plated stamped metal it makes the whole jean look bad.--bummer. There's no tag on the jean showing the weight of the denim or if indigo is natural -- although it looks natural. In addition, doesn't the care tag suppose to have silver thread indicating authentic Levi garment -- these don't? Maybe I got stuck w/a reject since earlier lvc 1873's I've seen on ebay had much better details than mine.??

Do these jeans live up to the hype and price? Well, if the price was around $150-185, yeah sure, but jeez for $501 I expect something much more authentic a far as quality goes. In fact, I was planning to buy another pair if these met my expectations. Now instead, I'm sending them back for a refund. It's too bad cuz the 1873 is truly a great design. Oh well.

1950 Hi-Rise 501 Jean (Lady Levi's) (Deadstock)

It would be great if these ones were offered in Europe so i could buy them for my woman...

These are actually pretty ugly IMO. Very blue, not black, denim (Sanforized, from Kaihara), with a really tapered 50s-style cut.

Sorry to hear those 1873s weren't much cop, as I'd like a pair of these. Were they rigid? For $501? Jeez. The original repros, while pricey, did have a great finish. If you check out the 501 Visual Guide thread and compare the colours it should be easy to see if they're natural or synthetic indigo. Do you have an online listing for them??

They're not on the Euro LVC site http://eu.levi.com/CollectionsLevisVintageClothingGuys/408100003/Guys-Levi-s--Vintage-Clothing-1940-s-Tee)

THe LVC US site doesn't seem to have any 1873 (or 1863) jeans either.

Edit: (And no, Shovelhead, they're not on aeroleather)

I saw and tried on the 1873's at American Rag. I was very taken with them. They are definitely lighter weight denim, as they should be. The hand was silky, but not in a bad in my opinion. They are definitely a purty color, and I really liked the detail. I agree that the buckle was a weak point, but its easy enough to have it replaced (I know, I know...."but for $501 you shouldn't have to....blah blah blah..) I think they're worth the money if you have it to spend. They are a faithful, well executed, and completely authentic pair of jeans.

If they were a hot chick in my bed, I would not throw them out.

[THe LVC US site doesn't seem to have any 1873 (or 1863) jeans either.

Paul T,

I had 4 different Levi employees tell me that the 1873 isn't offered -- that an 1863 is being produced instead. After over a month of having me jumping through hoops and following dead ends, I finally got a call from the SF store saying that the 1873 is available. I asked the guy about the 1863 and he had no idea what I was talking about. So, apparently the 1863 doesn't exist. I think Levi's marketing deliberately projects an air of confusion to build suspense, hype and exclusiveness for the LVC line. It had me pumped, and when I finally was able to order a pair I thought I was one special dude. When I got my order it ended up being a big let down from my expectations. Anyway, if you want to order a pair it's no big deal just call the Levi SF store @415-501-0100 and they'll help you . Best of luck

Paul T,

I had 4 different Levi employees tell me that the 1873 isn't offered -- that an 1863 is being produced instead. After over a month of having me jumping through hoops and following dead ends, I finally got a call from the SF store saying that the 1873 is available. I asked the guy about the 1863 and he had no idea what I was talking about. So, apparently the 1863 doesn't exist. I think Levi's marketing deliberately projects an air of confusion to build suspense, hype and exclusiveness for the LVC line. It had me pumped, and when I finally was able to order a pair I thought I was one special dude. When I got my order it ended up being a big let down from my expectations. Anyway, if you want to order a pair it's no big deal just call the Levi SF store @415-501-0100 and they'll help you . Best of luck

Whoa....decaf my brother....I think it might have been a typo, I have a hard time swallowing a clandestine LEVIS misinformation campaign.

Scored these from Dejan. Hes da man. 1905 209 coveralls.

IMG_8721.jpg

They're beautiful. Especially the eraly linen tag, I love the victorian/edwardian typography. And the spring clip and detailing (hardware, elastic) is wonderful too, I've seen a slightly similar kids' pair in the LVC achives and was very taken with them. (Edit: but did they really use san-serif type in 1905? I'\d be intrigued to know).

Re 1863: this has to be a simple fuckup. By idiots. For most Levi's employees, 1873 is emblazoned on their hearts, because that's when Levi's was born.

Bill, the 1873 were distressed, right? Natural indigo? Any idea who the laundry was? And are these similar to the Nevada model (pliers pocket, high watch pocket), or are they a 501 design?

That buckle doesn't look like it has one of those stupid cross member things on it that the jeans have. I had to take a wire cutter to my 37s.

No it didn't have it but the prongs were not pointed. I took a file and sharpened them took all of 5 min. I've cut all mine to. My 1886s I put an original turn of the century buckle (not Levis) on.

Paul T,

Well they could be an asian or european offerings. These 1905 209s are a USA made item but not offered here as I understand it. Allot of the raw LVCs are also not offered in the US. Also most of the people that work at Levis store don't have a clue about LVC including some of the store managers. I had one girl that worked at the Michigan Ave Chicago store ask me about who made the jeans I was wearing and I told here they were Levis she looked at the linen waist tag and saw 201 and said oh yeah those are Japanese Levis because they have different #s than we use in here in the US. She said, " We use like 501, 517 and #s like that".I said no these are reproductions of 1920s 201s and here response was "whatever" (didn't believe me) and she didn''t have a clue to what blue line denim was.

Can we all please drop this 1863 business...its embarassing for a group of well educated denim aficianados to be talking about a jean alledgedly made 10 years before the company started making jeans....come on people, it was a typo, the average person working for levi's is not a historian or LVC designer...

Paul: The 1873's I saw were raw. I beleive that they are doing a washed model as well, that will also be considered a Vault peice (and I can't imagine how much money its gonna be, if the raw are $501!). In a conversation I had with the head LVC designer, I beleive the washed model will also have a selvage waistband, while the raw model does not, I think done for sake of available fabric.

They are a Classic Four pocket, high watch pocket, one pocket in back, no tool pockets. Single needle, quarter inch stitching all over. Really really pretty. Similair construction athstetic to the Duckdigger 1900

No it didn't have it but the prongs were not pointed. I took a file and sharpened them took all of 5 min. I've cut all mine to. My 1886s I put an original turn of the century buckle (not Levis) on.

err...newbie question but the cinches on my 33s an 37s just dont hold the denim. I need to cinch do to sizing. Is this the reason you sharpened the prongs?

1933501buckle.jpg

Heres a photo of what I do. Original buckles were sharp and pointed made to pierce the fabric so it will hold. Lynn Downey at Levis told me that LVC had to put the bar on their buckles for federal safety reasons. I took a pair of small snips and shipped the bar and made points. The buckles are less likely to break when you do this.

^^ ive done the same with my 33s and 37s after your advice... works like a charm!

On another note, but might not be US collection... Anyone got the 1900 bunkhouse shirt? I tried it on yesterday and really liked it, but unsure if its worth the price tag.. anyone own it who might be able to give some more impressioins? How does it hold up? quality with wear?

^^ ive done the same with my 33s and 37s after your advice... works like a charm!

On another note, but might not be US collection... Anyone got the 1900 bunkhouse shirt? I tried it on yesterday and really liked it, but unsure if its worth the price tag.. anyone own it who might be able to give some more impressioins? How does it hold up? quality with wear?

I sold one a while back (to small).

Cultizm offers the '47 501 lvc at a reasonable price. I'd like to pick up a pair but cultizm cannot tell me if the indigo is natural or not. I know past production '47's sold in EU used natural but not sure if current run does. I know if I called Levi Strauss to find out I'd get the standard Levi run around. To save me from that hassle, can any of you denim heads here tell me if current '47's US and /or EU production are real indigo? Thanks.