Dubbleworks Denim Contest

cheep

which one do you want on the final contest jeans?  

296 members have voted

1. 1. which one do you want on the final contest jeans?

• patch 1
    • patch 2
    • patch 3
    • patch 4

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Quick, somebody name a brand/trademark whose owners let other people use it for the "valuable free publicity."

Anyone ever heard a rap song. I think Old E, lamborghinis, louis vuitton, etc. are all getting free publicity although, as of late rappers are getting paid to put that crap in their videos. Or how about free product placement in movies.

looks like patch #1 is gonna win... im gonna submit it to gordon and WH and get the production on these started. these will be made to order, so if you want a pair you need to pre order them. ill give details on that once gordon lets me know what he wants to do.

Anyone ever heard a rap song. I think Old E, lamborghinis, louis vuitton, etc. are all getting free publicity although, as of late rappers are getting paid to put that crap in their videos. Or how about free product placement in movies.

In the first case, I am sure Wayne would not object if you name-checked superfuture in your recordings.

Product placement in movies is usually (always?) paid for by the companies whose product is being promoted; it is just another form of advertising. The analogy would be if Wayne/superfuture approached a denim company and offered them money to put the superfuture logo on a patch/stitching/rivet/what have you.

In neither case is the trademark holder allowing free use of their identifying logo or trademark; I am pretty sure you are not going to find a case where this happened without legal repercussions, unless you are talking about a student film or something similar, with extremely low visibility.

People really need to look at superfuture's position this way:

What if some douchebag who starts a T-shirt company (just like everyone & their brother has now) called "Oliver Prints" & they specialize in making every assortment of All-Over Prints-polka dots, guns, fake LV prints, or the ever popular skull. Then they become a member of the boards here & decide to throw some shitty T-shirt together & slap "superfuture" on it just because they're a member. Then when it's on Hypebeast because it's a collab with superfuture, everybody here who doesn't like that type of clothing gets pissed & stops coming here because they think superfuture's lost its fashion credibility.

It's not good projects like this that they are trying to avoid. The owners specifically said that if we wanted to put a proposal together they would look at it. They just need to keep the rif-raf away.

People really need to look at superfuture's position this way:

What if some douchebag who starts a T-shirt company (just like everyone & their brother has now) called "Oliver Prints" & they specialize in making every assortment of All-Over Prints-polka dots, guns, fake LV prints, or the ever popular skull. Then they become a member of the boards here & decide to throw some shitty T-shirt together & slap "superfuture" on it just because they're a member. Then when it's on Hypebeast because it's a collab with superfuture, everybody here who doesn't like that type of clothing gets pissed & stops coming here because they think superfuture's lost its fashion credibility.

It's not good projects like this that they are trying to avoid. The owners specifically said that if we wanted to put a proposal together they would look at it. They just need to keep the rif-raf away.

Superfuture has got some fashion credibility? :)

\

In neither case is the trademark holder allowing free use of their identifying logo or trademark; I am pretty sure you are not going to find a case where this happened without legal repercussions, unless you are talking about a student film or something similar, with extremely low visibility.

For whatever it's worth, I work at an ad agency where we and our [Fortune 500] clients would absolutely allow people to take some form of ownership of the brand like this. You can't put a price on people championing/supporting your brand, and the last thing we'd want to do is get in the way of people doing that. Especially if it's clear that they doing so in a way that is fairly consistent with the brand, as this is.

Carry on with more relevant issues...

It comes down to intent.

In this case, a group of denim trendsetters are pledging their allegiance to

a brand (SuperFuture) on a gorgeous pair of jeans that are, in a way, representative of the discussion on this board (raw, Japanese, artisinal, etc.)

It would be an entirely different story if SuperFuture were a clothing company, and their name was being put onto a product that wasn't theirs. Especially for the purpose of cutting cost. That would be akin to your Nike example.

Anyhow, this discussion is not meant to change Wayne or anybody else's mind. Just throwing in the two cents of an ad man. We should probably take this discussion elsewhere than the Dubbleworks thread if anybody wants to continue....

congrats to the horny monkey..

im kinda broke right now, but i really dont want to mis out a chance on get these jeans as a longtime sufu member.

cheep any idea if we'll have to pay the full price up front, or if we pay a "deposit"

It comes down to intent.

In this case, a group of denim trendsetters are pledging their allegiance to

a brand (SuperFuture) on a gorgeous pair of jeans that are, in a way, representative of the discussion on this board (raw, Japanese, artisinal, etc.)

It would be an entirely different story if SuperFuture were a clothing company, and their name was being put onto a product that wasn't theirs. Especially for the purpose of cutting cost. That would be akin to your Nike example.

Anyhow, this discussion is not meant to change Wayne or anybody else's mind. Just throwing in the two cents of an ad man. We should probably take this discussion elsewhere than the Dubbleworks thread if anybody wants to continue....

Wayne didn't say that he wasn't open to collaborations. All he said was that for any collaboration, a detailed proposal outlining the legal ramifications needed to be sent to him. Is that really too much to ask? I don't get why people are still having issues with this.

Hello, Mr Van Gough, you are my inspiration, I've read all your techniques and painted this piece. Thank you for all your past work, I would not have been able to do it without you. I went ahead and put your name on the painting next to mine, you don't mind do you...you don't mind.

Drop it.

I voted for #1, but nevertheless I think having superfuture or sufu on the patch is tacky. I just don't like when companies get all greedy and copyright happy, a la Levis.

I just don't like when companies get all greedy and copyright happy, a la Levis.

Sufu being greedy/copyright happy?

They choose what they want their name on. And if they choose 'nothing' then it's their choice. They have their own idea of how they want to promote themselves, or not promote themselves.

It's called protecting the brand

I know that they have that choice and I am not saying that they are greedy/copyright happy. I just don't like that aspect of a lot of companies. I am also the type that when companies get that way, it makes me want to defile their name. Maybe the tag should have Superfuture in big capital letters with me taking a dump on it....

Maybe the tag should have Superfuture in big capital letters with me taking a dump on it....

maybe.

maybe don't be a goddamn vulgar snot.

It's not so hard to sew a blank patch on you guys...

Just saying.

the patch is there for a reason; a blank patch would say a lot about a lot of things these jeans aren't saying. ideally, in good taste, it would and could have "SuFu" somewhere on it, "Warehouse" and "BiG". cheep and Warehouse should have full artistic control.