Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

0db9129c.jpg?t=1235363705

6758624e.jpg

A friend and I have been working on a little denim project for a while now. We've received the first 7 samples (4 mens cuts, 3 womens).. Quite happy with the mens fit, the womens are in for major alterations though.. Patterns have been fixed and we should have the 2nd samples back soon!

• 2 weeks later...

yeah...a good way to start once you learn to sew, is altering/dissasembling clothes you already have...it will give you the basic understanding of how most things work.

having a vivid imagination helps too...well that and paired with a healthy obsession for clothing, haha

Thanks for the advice. I'm enrolling into a sewing class now might need to get a sewing machine because the one my mom has is ghetto as hell.

hah yeah i do tend to obsess over that stuff. like sitting in class and examining the construction of something I'm waring instead of doing something more productive like taking notes or daydreaming about the girl who sits in front of me.

define cool

most of the patterns for men are from the 80's or earlier, it's pretty hard to just snag some pattern of ebay and be happy with it, you probably have to do alterations to pretty much any pattern you get.

it's probably easier to get a pair of decent men's short a tear them apart and try to copy them right off and then add/remove pockets or whatever you want to do

that's what I think anyway

thanks for the reply. by cool I mean better than all the shit patterns i've come across my self. I need to cop shorts first....

Another option I recommend is to ballpark the pattern with a cheap fabric (if what you're going to be using is more costlier) and pin/whipstich it together, make alterations, then use that as your pattern for the end garment.

Here are some items I made over the summer here in Oz (Australia)

ready for winter

Hooded Coat

100% Cotton Drill

Hooded, Slightly A-Line, Front Pockets, 'Trench' style vent on the back

2bof1j.jpg

a449c.jpg

Sleeveless Tee

100% Viscose Jersey

Simple pleat on the front, Twisted side seam

725ev9.jpg

noujdk.jpg

Sleeveless Tee with attached scarf/cape/hood