The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

I've been working a glorified data entry job in suburban hell Houston for the past two years because I did poorly in undergrad and didn't intern in the field I was interested in

but I did well enough on my GRE to get into a good grad school, so I'm saving money until my classes begin in August. I have something to look forward to, but the interim is such a fucking slog

working this summer at upenn at an interesting job with good people. God is good

and this fall, transferring to Boston University to study psych. can't wait to get back to school.

yeah i completely agree with this. i dont understand what the big rush is, people seem to want to have stability by the time they're 30 but it usually means over extending yourself, having debt through middle age and probably a growing sense of boredom as well later on in life. I don't even want my feet to touch the ground until i'm at least 30!

I think the idea that everything we need to archive needs to happen now (as young as possible), and as fast as possible, is based on TV and Movies having a one or two hour arc to the story.

I am not speaking for all of you, but a HUGE portion of what i have learned about the world, and developed personality wise, has been learned though books, movies and TV. When you watch a movie, there is a beginning, a middle, and a end, and life is obviously somewhat more ambiguous about these three stages. Whatever task your looking at achieving, the time line is real, and the resolutions are not as immediate. To some degree, on a unconscious level, we have been trained to expect clear results, quick ones, with a emotional commercial break thrown in the mix for good measure. Our expectations are out of wack based on the two hour romance, the 182 page spy novel, the underdog winning against all odds in a half hour. (At least for those of us raised by TV and Media).

I am not trying to get all deep here, but i think that people want the end results, and good things in life, without putting in the effort to achieve them. Person X wants to be a famous rapper, but he never puts down lyrics. Person Y says he is a DJ and knows more about the music than anyone, but never makes tapes and does not spin at clubs or bars. People are addicted to the idea of rewards, but seemingly few actually enjoy the process that would take them there.

Do what you want, what makes you happy, fuck age, fuck people that tell you different.

Fuck em if they cant take a joke.

Woo, finally living in my city apartment for 2 months, after renting it out for about 10 months.

Feels good to be out of the parents house.

I've been working a glorified data entry job in suburban hell Houston for the past two years because I did poorly in undergrad and didn't intern in the field I was interested in

but I did well enough on my GRE to get into a good grad school, so I'm saving money until my classes begin in August. I have something to look forward to, but the interim is such a fucking slog

Interesting. Sort of like my plan except I am above a 3.5 undergrad currently minus the intern. Grad school in 2 years or less post-graduation.

'data entry job in suburban hell Houston' in 1. ha ha

Summer just started for me last week- I just finished up my junior year of college at University of Oregon (business major).

Since January I've been trying to get a summer internship in portland, had a few interviews and nothing panned out so i put it on the back burner.

Now school's out for 3 months, I'm at home, with no internship, and no job. I think i'm fucked. Been applying to places everywhere trying to get anything, but no one is hiring. I'm going to be miserable if I have to spend the whole summer moping around the house with no job + no $$$. am i fucked?

Work, find any job possible and excel.

No intern? Research for your school i.e. senior thesis, talk to professors

just my two cents, finished my 3rd year as well in undergrad and now taking summer classes + part time job on campus ...

Growing up, I saw my dad pulling more money than I will probably ever make and being absolutely miserable in his life. He was depressed and drinking and felt he should be making twice what he was making as his boss, the owner of the company, was easily making a few million a year. I promised myself I would never be miserable like him.

My dream growing up was to have a beautiful wife, an amazing family, a huge house and an expensive car. I have an obsession with spending money to fill the empty spaces inside me from my shitty childhood.

Here I am, in my mid-20's staying afloat in a foreign country wearing expensive denimz and watchez but I am not happy.

I am thinking of throwing it all away and become a ski bum. Ive played around with the idea since high school. I went to college and was distracted from that idea. But I am seriously pondering the idea now. Its one of the few places I feel comfortable and happy. With friends on a bluebird powder day in the back country never gets old. Ill spend the summers running rivers, surfing and mountain biking. This is not into the wild bullshit either. Im not gonna be a fucking tramp and live a fuck up life. Im gonna do what makes me happy in life.

I am getting so close to the point of throwing all I have worked for away. I will probably never have a beautiful wife and a fast car if I do it. Im tired of not being happy and trying to make myself happy by being ultra materialistic.

Just me and my jawnz starting life over in pursuit of being happy.

Cop some expensive dry denim and restart your life. Come back and post in a few years with the fades. (5)

Accountant (Assistant Controller)

Consultant

Originally went to school for my CA designation but decided it wasn't for me and a CMA would be more suited, so that's what I'm studying for.

MBA in a couple of years.

The greatest part about the Consulting Business is that its BOOMING right now (we consult business on getting gov't grants, so in a time of economic slowdown, everybody wants free money), so that keeps me nice and happy.

Wow all these business majorssss... BS in Bus. Admin. concentrating in Financial Economics, but looking to go to law school and possibly take on a joint business-law degree. I really want to work as a consultant dealing with finance and legality etc etc.

feels like all i'm doing is working and planning for future studies. I really need to live out my life, it's summer for gods sake, need to get out and chill with my friends, party as much as i can. Travel, road trips whatever is fun i need to do. I've already applied for a university but now i really don't want to be excepted. I have to travel the world first, maybe stay a year or two in a new country, work there and meet new friends. Don't want to stay in this boring shithole of Gothenburg.

I have thought about moving to Norway for a year as a first step in my world wide travelling, there i can make a great amount of money which i will use to see the world.

need to find a descent girl too

• 5 months later...

Sheeeit, you gotta find your passion dawg. Your avatar is epic by the way. I can't stop watching it.

I got lucky and got a job 2 weeks before I graduated (not relevant to my BS/BA in Bio/Music though) working at a brewery. For the past 7 months I have been working in the tasting room, pouring and discussing beer.

I am also about to pick up a part time job packaging in the brewery, which is the starting position for working up to actually making the beer.

Eventually when I have more experience I want to move down to the Bay Area/Sonoma and work at a more exciting brewery or beer related establishment. Not really in a rush, cause right now I love my job and make enough to support my beer/jawn habit. Do miss living in the Bay though.

I'm kind of embarrassed to tell my family and friends that I am not going back to college for the time being. I feel like everyone holds the expectation of me to get a degree, but I simply have other priorities in life I need to attend to.

I'm 100% decided that I'm going to be a professional musician, and the past 1 1/2 years in school have been driving me crazy since I had no time to make music/play shows etc.. As my interest in school rapidly declined, and I found myself blowing off assignments more and more to make music, I decided this lifestyle was killing me, and I needed drastic change.

So now, going into the new year, I have a steady, ridiculously enjoyable job at a record store, and more importantly -- time to practice/produce. I expect big things for myself in 2010.

Cyberpunk, that would be an honor, haha. Definitely one of the oldest most respected craft brewers. Their steam beer is the only one that is kind of different. When the German immigrants tried to make beer in San Francisco, the cost of keeping the lagering beer cool enough was too high, so they fermented their lagers at ale temperatures. That's their homage to Bay Area beer history, and the roots of the original Anchor brewing.

Gramps: dooo it.

Destructodisk: School also got in the way of me writing and playing gigs. Shit sucks. Good luck getting back to what you want to do!

Guest on-display

destructo I respect what your doing. I'm in college too but I hate my major, I have no idea what I'm going to change it to when I transfer. I'd give everything to find what I'd enjoy doing in life and just have the balls to do it.

Cyberpunk, that would be an honor, haha. Definitely one of the oldest most respected craft brewers. Their steam beer is the only one that is kind of different. When the German immigrants tried to make beer in San Francisco, the cost of keeping the lagering beer cool enough was too high, so they fermented their lagers at ale temperatures. That's their homage to Bay Area beer history, and the roots of the original Anchor brewing.

Gramps: dooo it.

Haha, I've never tried Steam Anchor but a friend of mine bought a pack a while ago, and while he was reading the label about it's primitive brewing methods he sort of muttered to himself: 'This beer tells you it's ghetto.

I used to have an issue with the idea that I was pursuing a discipline that would keep me in the University environment my whole life, but now I am at peace with it. I read a quote about Schiller once where they said for him "life and library" were one and the same. Doesn't sound so bad to me.

sweet! now u can invite your cosplay friends home without ur parents thinking you're a faggot

was worth coming in this thread for this gem.

Im not really doing anything with my life. on that more that four year plan for political science. hopefully grad school after that because you cant really do shit with a poly sci undergrad.

but right now I am about to go smoke a cigarette.

I used to have an issue with the idea that I was pursuing a discipline that would keep me in the University environment my whole life, but now I am at peace with it. I read a quote about Schiller once where they said for him "life and library" were one and the same. Doesn't sound so bad to me.

Professor Tom Hanks up in diz houz.

Just graduated and I'm moving a thousand miles away to chase the Vegas dream in Asia.

wtf?

just curious, but please elaborate.

also, i might as well add to this thread. going to law school in august, most likely in california. hopefully will have a job at the end of the tunnel and possibly work at a law firm in the u.s. or japan. pretty boring, but jawnz budget should be on point.