The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

• 4 months later...
Guest sousvide
want to get the fuck out of here. how can travel with no money? sell all my shit?

ya sell your shit, buy a flight, join couch surfing. I did that! now I'm home and broke.

Guest sousvide

maybe y'all can help me out.

im 24, been cooking professionaly for 5 years. I enjoy it for the most part. But I work like 14 hours a day, and I dont really want to spend my whole 20's/ life in a kitchen only. I wanna do more than that. But at the same time, I'm scared to stop cooking cause I've reached a pretty high level.. and it seems like to be decent at anything you have to sacrifice your time.

dude u gotta be fucking kidding me. if your doing what you love/are good at already then trust me ur living ur 20s pretty smooth.

its better than people i know whor spending their whole 20's/life in a perpetual hotbox.

Guest sousvide

dude u gotta be fucking kidding me. if your doing what you love/are good at already then trust me ur living ur 20s pretty smooth.

its better than people i know whor spending their whole 20's/life in a perpetual hotbox.

True.

I guess my biggest issue is to not be so result orriented, and just enjoy the fucking ride.

have your company go bankrupt in the single biggest corporate bankruptcy in history, get fired, try to find a job and fail miserably for a half a year in the worst economic crisis since the great depression, then come back to me and complain you hate your job. Just me, I really really really "enjoyed" the fucking ride.

I think a lot of people put tons of undue pressure on themselves in thier 20's. There's this expectation we've created as a culture that you're supposed to have your shit dialed before 30, own a house, etc, and it's just not really realisitc. I give credit to those that get things going early on, but to me, it just doesn't make sense or seem fair to expect to achieve what my parents achieved in half the timeframe. Not saying to be a fuckup, but realize that this is just the start. Like you said, enjoy the ride.

djrajio- I definitely get where you're coming from. The whole Lehman situation, or pretty much the collapse of most financial institutions, was fucked, but it's not like you're never gonna get to where you were, or achieve more than that. Hopefully this scenario gives everyone a deeper appreciation for when times are good and re-focuses us into a more sustainable way of living. I had friends who were in real estate at the right time a few years back and just made money hand over fist. They would come by my store in cars I could only dream of owning some day and go home to houses that were just ridiculous, but they had absolutely no appreciation for what they had, until it all vanished and reality set in. One of 'em hit me up for a job the other day. Super humbling... I'm sure this doesn't help at all, but people who know how to make money will always make money. I'm sure you'll be fucking bitches and getting money again in no time.

btw- I really want to learn Japanese, but I'm starting from absolutley nothing. Reccomendations? I looked at that Rosetta Stone jawn and it's like $500 for a few discs...

I think a lot of people put tons of undue pressure on themselves in thier 20's. There's this expectation we've created as a culture that you're supposed to have your shit dialed before 30, own a house, etc, and it's just not really realisitc. I give credit to those that get things going early on, but to me, it just doesn't make sense or seem fair to expect to achieve what my parents achieved in half the timeframe. Not saying to be a fuckup, but realize that this is just the start. Like you said, enjoy the ride.

I agree, 30 is too early for most people nowadays, I think it should be bumped to 40 or even 45 depending on your lifestyle, since we're all supposed to statistically live til we're 70 or 80. Retirement ages will probably increase as well sometime, so we can all work until we die to afford our million dollar suburban crackerboxes.

maybe y'all can help me out.

im 24, been cooking professionaly for 5 years. I enjoy it for the most part. But I work like 14 hours a day, and I dont really want to spend my whole 20's/ life in a kitchen only. I wanna do more than that. But at the same time, I'm scared to stop cooking cause I've reached a pretty high level.. and it seems like to be decent at anything you have to sacrifice your time.

sounds like your living comfortably and you want abit of adventure or at least stories to tell. why don't you try moving to another city and starting over from scratch? it gives you the opportunity to prove yourself and if by chance you do succeed in a city like NYC then you would have made a name for yourself. Comeback to your town open up a restaurant and that would be a new challenge for you.

Maybe it's just me but i'm not the type to settle I'm always looking for another step. make 50,000 a year try for a 100,000. make a 100,000 try for a million. can't stop won't stop.

btw- I really want to learn Japanese' date=' but I'm starting from absolutley nothing. Reccomendations? I looked at that Rosetta Stone jawn and it's like $500 for a few discs...[/quote']

I use a mix of rosetta stone and superinternet tv (free download for the trial version) You can watch TV from Japan (and most other countrys for that matter) and after a while you slowly pick up key words and get more familiar with the language (or at least it helps me)...

It's hard to enjoy the ride, as you put it, because every time I feel like I'm doing big things, and take it a little easy on myself, I'll read another story about some kid two years younger than me that is set for life because he came up with some brilliant idea or something in that vein.

yeah i completely agree with this. i dont understand what the big rush is, people seem to want to have stability by the time they're 30 but it usually means over extending yourself, having debt through middle age and probably a growing sense of boredom as well later on in life. I don't even want my feet to touch the ground until i'm at least 30!

be dead by 25

this one isn't working out too well. somehow I'm back in school (political science) and looking towards law school at the moment. fallback is a masters in international relations and then unemployment after that.

hopefully law school pans out, I'd like to sit on a retainer and not work very hard, but I don't think you just get that kind of status out of school.

Went back to school while working full time ( 3 years) for drafting/detailing and architecture.

Been in the field of building since I was a kid and working with my father. I consider myself lucky, I am part of an excellent buissiness, and it involves my fathers legacy which I will be carrying on

I wake up every morning raring to go to work, and even though I have to work my ass off, I leave with a real sense of pride in my designs and effort at the end of the day

I am just happy to be working these days ( considering the economy), let alone being very busy

this one isn't working out too well. somehow I'm back in school (political science) and looking towards law school at the moment. fallback is a masters in international relations and then unemployment after that.

hopefully law school pans out, I'd like to sit on a retainer and not work very hard, but I don't think you just get that kind of status out of school.

Take a trip to New York sometime this summer. We'll get ramen and pho and go karaoke and heckle stranger, which will inevitably lead us to getting into no end of fisticuffs.

btw- I really want to learn Japanese, but I'm starting from absolutley nothing. Reccomendations? I looked at that Rosetta Stone jawn and it's like $500 for a few discs...

if you still need this, pm me. i might could supply you with jap lvls 1, 2, and 3 as long as i remember how to.

August 1st marks the beginning of 6 years of grad school, followed by 4 of postdoc...I cant fucking wait, especially since its in something i love to do, but im worried that im going to come out a boring old curmudgeon. Must find a way to keep the party going.

Growing up, I saw my dad pulling more money than I will probably ever make and being absolutely miserable in his life. He was depressed and drinking and felt he should be making twice what he was making as his boss, the owner of the company, was easily making a few million a year. I promised myself I would never be miserable like him.

My dream growing up was to have a beautiful wife, an amazing family, a huge house and an expensive car. I have an obsession with spending money to fill the empty spaces inside me from my shitty childhood.

Here I am, in my mid-20's staying afloat in a foreign country wearing expensive denimz and watchez but I am not happy.

I am thinking of throwing it all away and become a ski bum. Ive played around with the idea since high school. I went to college and was distracted from that idea. But I am seriously pondering the idea now. Its one of the few places I feel comfortable and happy. With friends on a bluebird powder day in the back country never gets old. Ill spend the summers running rivers, surfing and mountain biking. This is not into the wild bullshit either. Im not gonna be a fucking tramp and live a fuck up life. Im gonna do what makes me happy in life.

I am getting so close to the point of throwing all I have worked for away. I will probably never have a beautiful wife and a fast car if I do it. Im tired of not being happy and trying to make myself happy by being ultra materialistic.

Just me and my jawnz starting life over in pursuit of being happy.

Jack shit. im basically staring at an empty sheet of canvas. my life isnt what i want it to be right now but im too lazy to do anything about it i guess i do whats necessary and enough to get by. im fine where im at but i really wish the people around me would stop bitching

Summer just started for me last week- I just finished up my junior year of college at University of Oregon (business major).

Since January I've been trying to get a summer internship in portland, had a few interviews and nothing panned out so i put it on the back burner.

Now school's out for 3 months, I'm at home, with no internship, and no job. I think i'm fucked. Been applying to places everywhere trying to get anything, but no one is hiring. I'm going to be miserable if I have to spend the whole summer moping around the house with no job + no $$$. am i fucked?