The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

right now i'm working in a call center selling software and books. this job sucks but the pay is quite good.

until late october of this year i was supposed to become an air traffic controller, passed all the tests but later got attested with a green vision disorder (dunno how to translate that shit. i need a little more green than "normal" people).

don't really know what to do now but i think i will start studying international business administration in april, continue learning japanese and maybe french or some other language.

I'm going to graduate this year from UCLA with a Design Media Arts degree and then find a job as a graphic designer, although i'm not sure what kind of design. Most likely branding.

In the future I'm gonna start my own design studio. I've been told to just start it right out of school, but I feel like i don't know how to run a company yet, so i'd rather start from the bottom

On the side, I also run The Pack Hold, which will hopefully turn into something worthwhile.

Starting nursing school next month, though I dont want to...I really cant think of anything else to do, and I want to have a job when I graduate, knowing that what id really like to do is useless (English.)

Whatever, I'm doing psychiatric nursing, and it does interest me in a way. Was thinking about pursuing becoming a psychiatrist after, dunno if i could do med school, then residency all that...

Someone have experiece in the medical field, residency? how is it?

yo gramps i feel you on that schiller tip. just finished all my applications for history PhD programs - hoping to snag fellowship but endowments are in a bad way recently. the academic lifestyle is crazy appealing to me - both my parents are profs and they work like 3 times a week combined.

anyone else in/about to be in that ivory tower?

sorta same situation as destructo (word to kyles): have yet to tell my father I'm not going back next semester, and that this is extending into an entire year off. my head's just not in it, and i really regret not taking a year off between high school and uni. i had just turned 18 and wasted a few years in a course i hated, switch schools and programs, but was just spreading myself too thin with work and school. i think if i ever do decide to have kids, i'm definitely not doing what my parents did and not put a penny into savings for them. yeah i learn the value of putting myself through school, but they don't understand the stress that also brings (since neither of them ever did anything post high school).

i have an idea of what i want to do; or at least, what i'm passionate about and enjoy doing to the point i could happily make a life out of it, even if it's not the highest-paying job out there. i just have to figure out how to go about getting to that goal. i also want to to be able to get back into school in september without the stress of working four days a week.

at least moving back home was done at the right time; my dad and his new wife got a new house but still need to sell his old one, so i've at least got that to myself for the time being.

wtf i will be doing:

- finance major (make good money, yah?)

- graduate college

- get goood job

- make duh lotta money ($$)

- give back to parents

- marry vietnamese girl who cook good

all said by ohsnap's parents

(6stepstolivinglifeastoldbyasianimmigrants)

fml

^ this is the self-deprecating 'WTF are you doing' thread, not the resume networking thread.

I am making jawnz and asking the lord to give me the strenth everyday; someday in the near future, if I make some money, I hope to open a bar and grill where I can make the jawnz and drink my beer for free.

currently filling a full time barista spot, pay is decent, people are amazing...for the first time in a while I'm actually enjoying what I do on the daily. Graduated from the graphic design program at the local university, but have yet to take that beyond attaining some freelance clients and working on the rebrand for the coffee shop I'm currently employed at.

girl (of 5 years) and I just recently (5 months ago) moved into a nice place, planning on going to Germany next year...can't complain.

Starting nursing school next month, though I dont want to...I really cant think of anything else to do, and I want to have a job when I graduate, knowing that what id really like to do is useless (English.)

i'm in the same position. my dad has all these possible careers for me to pursue but i just want to major in english. still kinda thinking of doing linguistics but idk. i just need to transfer to a university already.

it's pretty hot so i sit around the house in my underpants a lot. drink a lot of beer. i tried exercising the other day and could only do like 10 push ups. about to pick up some freelance work as a director's assistant. waiting to hear back about a program assistant position with a television show.

basically, waiting around sweating, drunk, in my underpants. should probably do something more constructive but cbf.

anything art-related = no no to asian parents

good money to them = doctor/lawyer/businessman/tool

honestly, they're like most parents. it pains them to say to friends "oh, my son. he's the painter." [/asian accent]

im doing exact same as you cept the last step... im a player playin the bass on that too short tip

can i make good money with out getting my mba?

I'm in my fifth year of the university of Toronto. Doing a major in sociology, and picking up a minor in film and philosophy. My depression and ADHD combined caused me to fail a bunch of courses in the past, so I was on academic probation this semester. Luckily it went better so I can stay in school for at least another year in a half, after which I am going to go to Vancouver film school for screenwriting, I think. After that, hopefully I'll be able to sell a feature to a studio for big money, and then move onto directing.

I also work as a bus boy at one of the busiest restaurants in Toronto, where I make pretty decent money.

I feel so behind in life that I have trouble finding joy in my everyday experiences. It kind of sucks.

trying to balance school, work and an internship. working on 3 completely different portfolios for school. literally have no time anymore. hopefully i get into 1 of the 3 i'm applying to and some of this work pays off.

working retail right now trying to get paid as a production assistant so it'll free up some of my time to work on other projects

I don't know what I want to do with my life. There's things I'm interested in studying, just don't know how applicable they are. Maybe be a professor? I don't know. Trying to get into a spanish immersion program for this summer, maybe go abroad if I do get in. If I get in considering taking a year off from going to college to maybe do senior year of highschool in some spanish speaking country. I'd just have to pass since I already would have graduated. All I know for sure is that eventually I want to be a shopkeeper. That's what I want to do. I want to own my own store, be self employed and spend my days working in it. Before that, I don't know, hopefully something where I can make enough money to support my habits. If weed is legalized open up a dispensary.

this "working in a cubicle for the rest of my life" mentality that you guys have isn't as bad as it seems. it might not be the highlight of your day but it could be a way to finance your passions. ie. clothing, literature, language, family or traveling. being a starving artist is fun until your old, poor and don't have a 401 or investments to rely on. if anything you can take the money you've saved and open up a shop, or a restaurant or something.

Most of the people I know who work cubicle jobs, without having to have put up a fight to stay afloat, are not at the point where they can afford to quit their jobs when they want to and start something new. There might job security, a health care program, and some retirement socked away, but they aren't taking risks and therefore aren't making too much back.

I have a couple banker friends who made enough money and got out, but the people I went to school with through the years, by far and large, are all depressing as fuck, and their highlights in life are getting married to other ugly losers and living in what barely passes for mediocrity, sometimes having ugly children, sometimes going out for wings on Tuesdays and 'getting rowdy' on 3 Bud Lights. Professional football/basketball on TV and the occasional parking lot tailgate party is the only buffer between them and suicide, it appears.

i'm going collect a lot of hundreds, fill a room with 'em, and swim in those shits. when i get exhausted, i'm going to do lines of coke through each of thoes bills. when i'm bored with coke, i'm going to bang bitches on my piles of money, and when they scream, muffle it with some hundreds.

but the people I went to school with through the years, by far and large, are all depressing as fuck, and their highlights in life are getting married to other ugly losers and living in what barely passes for mediocrity, sometimes having ugly children, sometimes going out for wings on Tuesdays and 'getting rowdy' on 3 Bud Lights. Professional football/basketball on TV and the occasional parking lot tailgate party is the only buffer between them and suicide, it appears.

but you see whats mediocre to you could be fulfilling to them. you see them as being trapped in depressing lives but they see financial security and well raised children.

amardeep: as much as people say you can get away with design jobs without formal education it's much better if you have some type of education. for me I just plan to attend a good design school for a few years and use there name to acquire as many internships under my belt before i drop out.

1) you have a reputable school on your resume

2) your school debt isn't as high

3) you would've made alot of contacts with future peers in your industry