Super Cooking (Recipes, Menus, Food & Wine)

Tyro1

submission time. something i've been wanting to do for a long time, thanks to beef week i have an excuse to try it. first time doing carpaccio...

j8ec7d.jpg

beef carpaccio

inspired by a carpaccio whizkit and i had in antwerp, but with my own variation. served with a garnish of freshly ground ginger, fried shallots, grapes, white pepper, mirin, shoyu, and sesame oil. the original we had was kind of a tataki served with sesame oil, french beans, spring onions and fried garlic.

didn't have a super knife, so had to take a mallet (actually, a jam jar) to the beef after i sliced it as thinly as i could. the garnish is a little heavier than i'd like, maybe next time i'll leave out the white pepper and mirin. the grapes lend a good punchy tang to the flavour, and the bite of the ginger was spot on. :)

p.s. i like how the submissions span the range from stewed for 9 hours, to medium rare, to raw. what next?

special mac n cheese (last night):

3904503877_6ba05794dd.jpg

regular Annie's white cheddar n shells with added garlic, roasted red peppers, some dill, and parmesan flakes

homemade Bolognese style meatsauce (was over spaghetti w/ roman greens n arugala salad - didn't take picture of those)

3905286704_7054a0a77f.jpg

we're a bit late... I'm gonna give my week's nod to tweeds this time, the carpaccio was unexpected and well designed, that is the dish I'd like to try the most. Definitely a fan of fresh, and the unexpected and novel flavor combos. Good work from Tyro and youkinorn as well, though. Everyone else should weigh in with some votes so we can name a winner, and that winner can choose the next ingredient...

I agree. Carpaccio is pretty much something I have put into the "only in restaurants" category in my head, so nice to see someone do it here.

I too haven't given carpaccio at home much thought, though there's no reason why as long as I could ensure good quality meat. I am impressed with the green grape/ginger combo, and rocket and fried scallions is pretty sure and well-matched.

My beef entry was going to be Alinea's wagyu cooked en sous vide over honeydew, topped with cucumber, soy sauce pudding, lime ice, pink pepper, and cilantro, but the jawnz..... :o I will try my hardest on the next round though.

My beef entry was going to be Alinea's wagyu cooked en sous vide over honeydew, topped with cucumber, soy sauce pudding, lime ice, pink pepper, and cilantro, but the jawnz..... :o I will try my hardest on the next round though.

this would have been a show stopper...

thanks dis and youkinorn. while preparing it i realised carpaccio is just a mental block, it's not much more work than putting together a salad, comes down to knife work and picking flavours to accompany the meat - like making a complex dressing.

we definitely need more cooks though. if we make a veggie one maybe sybaritical will chime in??

ain't nothing wrong with that, the beagle here eats a lot of the leftover non-oiled non-salted portions of the Temple of Jawnz food services experiments. She's getting to the point where I could take her to a 3-star Michelin place without worrying about her pooping or peeing in public, but she has a habit of biting people's faces and has a 4' vertical jump now...

I'd like to express now that future food themes should be something that is an ingredient purchasable worldwide, so we can all participate. We're combining Europe, North America, Asia, and Australia right now, so themore universal, the better...

Well, it'll be hard to include Australia, as the seasons are reversed, unless you do something that is relatively seasonless like rice or onions or beans + rice collabs or keep just doing proteins.

Nah you'd be surprised. It's pretty easy to get most stuff year round, just the price and quality that fluctuates. Even most crazy Asian and european ingredients, if you go to the right markets.

I also going to give it to tweeds, to come out of nowhere, with carpacio was great.

Looks like it's your choice.

P.s. I still <3 you and your midnight snacks Scotty.