Baseball Talk

kiya

"I'm the only one on the team who can take Daisuke's work rhythm," said Tavarez, who is not on Boston's roster for the ALCS. "I don't know where this Chinese guy gets his strength from." (Note: To most Dominicans, all Asians come from China).

-ESPN

Shouldn't that be some or many instead of most? More proof that Julian Tavarez is crazy.

"I'm the only one on the team who can take Daisuke's work rhythm," said Tavarez, who is not on Boston's roster for the ALCS. "I don't know where this Chinese guy gets his strength from." (Note: To most Dominicans, all Asians come from China).

-ESPN

Shouldn't that be some or many instead of most? More proof that Julian Tavarez is crazy.

LOL. WTF?!

-ESPN

actually, it should be "all."

i don't think i've ever met a dominican who could understand that china, japan, korea, etc. are separate countries.

even when you explain it to them:

"so, kenya and canada and DR are different countries, right? so, it's the same with china, japan and korea. they are different countries. understand?"

"yo, i'm down with my boy matsui straight outta hong kong!" (actual quote from a guy in my neighborhood)

"well, he's from japan."

"and ching chong wang, that's my nigga right there! he's chinese, right?"

"well, he's actually from taiwan. but you're getting closer."

"what?"

"nevermind. let me get two loosies and a dutch."

actually, it should be "all."

i don't think i've ever met a dominican who could understand that china, japan, korea, etc. are separate countries.

even when you explain it to them:

"so, kenya and canada and DR are different countries, right? so, it's the same with china, japan and korea. they are different countries. understand?"

"yo, i'm down with my boy matsui straight outta hong kong!" (actual quote from a guy in my neighborhood)

"well, he's from japan."

"and ching chong wang, that's my nigga right there! he's chinese, right?"

"well, he's actually from taiwan. but you're getting closer."

"what?"

"nevermind. let me get two loosies and a dutch."

maybe because they're used to being called mexicans.

matsuzaka, nooooo!!!!

man. that guy needs to shape up next year or he'll be the shame of the japanese people! like SMAP!

sounds like he needs to find a way to lower his pitch counts:

The issue with Matsuzaka, especially against teams with formidable lineups, is his inability to make things easy on himself. He struck out six on the night, and at times during the season has shown himself to be a strikeout pitcher, but he works too hard for his outs. Of the 22 batters he faced, Matsuzaka finished only four hitters on four or fewer pitches, and one -- Kenny Lofton -- hit a two-out, two-run homer in the second inning on the first pitch. Matsuzaka needed six or more pitches on 12 of 22 hitters, a sure way not to be around for long.

"It's a lot of pitches. It's a lot of deep counts. Saying that, he made one glaring mistake to Lofton for the two-run home run," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. "The more pitches you throw, especially to dangerous hitters, the better chance you give them. I mean, that's the same concept that we talk about all the time, and they kind of reversed it on us."

Well that 1-2-3 shot was cool, and Wake looked real good for 4 innings...

The biggest problem right now is half the lineup is not doing anything but striking out and flying out. I think you have to substitute Ellsbury for Crisp on Thursday, I doubt it's gonna happen, since Coco has already seen him this series and Jacoby hasnt, but I want to see the lineup shaken up, and not just Kielty hitting for the utterly worthless Drew.

Well that 1-2-3 shot was cool, and Wake looked real good for 4 innings...

The biggest problem right now is half the lineup is not doing anything but striking out and flying out. I think you have to substitute Ellsbury for Crisp on Thursday, I doubt it's gonna happen, since Coco has already seen him this series and Jacoby hasnt, but I want to see the lineup shaken up, and not just Kielty hitting for the utterly worthless Drew.

If Ellsbury didn't start last night, he certainly won't start tomorrow against the LHP Sabathia.

I think this series really reflects the shortcomings of Theo Epstein and Francona.

Francona isn't bad, but he has made some very questionable decisions to say the least.

But it really does come down to the players on the field, and their ability to get the job done. Theo and the players themselves should take a lot of heat for that.

That said, the series isn't over. The Sox have their best pitcher in Beckett going tomorrow, and a win will send it back to Fenway.

I know, I know, you are right, just so frustrating watching the bottom of the lineup act as a giant anchor while the top is getting things done.

I cant say that I blame Tito too much, aside from some mismanaging of the pen, which really wouldnt be his fault if 3/4 of the rotation could get out of the 4th in the past 3 games... The Cleveland bullpen has been lights out and ours has shown flaws (Gagne, Lester, Lopez) their lineup has been solid too.

Theo's main problem is that he cant evaluate players that arent 19 years old. I think he should head up the farm system and another GM should come in for any other acquisitions (we did get Beckett while he was off touring with Pearl Jam...) I cant believe the money they gave that soon to be has been Lugo, or Drew. You would think he woulda learned his lesson after Rentaria and Clement.

I know, I know, you are right, just so frustrating watching the bottom of the lineup act as a giant anchor while the top is getting things done.

I cant say that I blame Tito too much, aside from some mismanaging of the pen, which really wouldnt be his fault if 3/4 of the rotation could get out of the 4th in the past 3 games... The Cleveland bullpen has been lights out and ours has shown flaws (Gagne, Lester, Lopez) their lineup has been solid too.

Theo's main problem is that he cant evaluate players that arent 19 years old. I think he should head up the farm system and another GM should come in for any other acquisitions (we did get Beckett while he was off touring with Pearl Jam...) I cant believe the money they gave that soon to be has been Lugo, or Drew. You would think he woulda learned his lesson after Rentaria and Clement.

Tito is a solid manager, but he has his flaws. I should say, rather, he has certain tendencies that can be frustrating.

He sticks with players for too long. Drew or Crisp should have been benched in place of Ellsbury. If Ellsbury goes 0-4 with 4 K's (doubtful) it's hardly worse than what Drew/Crisp would have done (did).

Also, I don't know whether it's the GM or the field manager that decides the playoff roster, but whomever is responsible for putting Gagne and Lopez on the roster made a huge mistake.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but that's not the issue here. Gagne proved time and time again that he can't be trusted with the ball. And if you only added him to the roster to act as a mop-up guy, that's just stupid, cause Tavarez or Snyder could do that AND pitch in close games (at the very least in situational spots).

I've pretty much lost hope in Theo. I agree with you in that he can't evaluate (or evaluates poorly) potential free agents. He has also mortgaged a lot of young talent for crappy players. He can draft well, that's about it. (and I'm not sure that's him and not someone else like Hoyer).

Oh well. It's just a game, right?

Read this on another forum, which, in an eerie coincidence, were written 10/17/04:

August seems a long time ago. The Anaheim series seems a long time ago. The idea that the Red Sox accomplished anything good at all this season seems inconceivable. The only thing that resonates now is the idea that, once again, the Red Sox have been beaten...

The Sox embarrassed themselves with poor base running, inept pitching, and dubious managerial decisions. By any measure, it was an ignominious defeat as the locals succumbed without much trace of competition or honor...

Sox manager Terry Francona said, ''I can't bail. I won't bail on these guys. It was disappointing for everybody, but we're not done. I expect us to come out there tomorrow and play our [butts]off."...

Tim Wakefield found himself in the middle of a pitching meltdown last night, called upon to try and lend soothing relief in a sorry excuse for playoff baseball...

It seemed as if Francona was reaching, but he found the strength to praise Wakefield. "Wake really picked us up," he said. "He's a professional, and when we win tomorrow, we'll have Wake to thank for that."

Just found this on Cleveland's Plain Dealer site:

3. The rest of the Red Sox vs. Byrd: While Ramirez has scuffled against Byrd, several notable teammates have enjoyed facing him. The list includes Coco Crisp (5-for-11, .455), Mike Lowell (8-for-20, .400), David Ortiz (8-for-26, .308) and Jason Varitek (7-for-18, .389). If manager Terry Francona plays the numbers as he did in Game 1, Bobby Kielty will start over J.D. Drew in right. Kielty is 10-for-30 (.333) with four homers against Byrd. Monday night would be a good time for Byrd to dust off the split-finger fastball, which went away from him midway through the season.

What the fuck Tito! I understand he is trying to boost the confidence of some of these guys, but 4 home runs! Come on!

The numbers seem to tell you that Kielty would be an obvious choice over Drew, and that Tito would be a damn fool not to start the Redhead, but...

...It's possible that Kielty got those 10 hits (including 4 round-trippers) in his first 14 AB's against Byrd. Perhaps Byrd learned to pitch to Kielty. I'd like to get a better breakdown of the numbers, because Kielty has really struggled over that past few seasons.

Also, it's highly unlikely that Tito would sit Drew for Kielty in 2 straight games (Byrd, Sabathia), because it goes against his managerial style.

I don't know. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate, or trying to find some way to rationalize why Tito would do something like that.

Back to Boston we go!

Schilling starts Saturday, and if all goes well, Daisuke on Sunday. If the Sox win Saturday, they can use Daisuke and then go to Wakefield if things don't go well.

I think the Sox have a very good chance of forcing a deciding game 7. I'm just glad they don't have to play in Cleveland anymore. Those fans are pretty loud. Expect to see Jacoby Ellsbury in the lineup in place of Coco Crisp for Game 6.

BTW, Curt Schilling pitched, and won, game 6 of the 2004 ALCS with the Sox down 3-2.

As it gets deeper and deeper into October, the guys that have been there before are really stepping it up for both teams. Kenny Lofton becoming the oldest player to hit a home run, manny is just working miracles out there and some of the younger guys are making rookie mistakes (ex: sizemore fucking up that catch and giving Youk a triple) It was really nice to see Dustin Pedroia have a night out there, he's been struggling this postseason but I really like him, hes a good little player , nice to see him having an eye out there..