coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

I just got a Hario dripper this week too. Although, I think I may not have needed it, I've been having really good results with my Aeropress brewing by the inverted method:

I0t7p9L02nA

it's similar to french press in that you can get the timing precise, but you don't get the oils (or sludge) due to the paper filter.

yup virtuoso best coffee purchase ive made

anyone try this? thinking about getting one

http://coava.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/kone

I have one and think it's worth the price, considering the $ you'll save over the long run buying/replacing filters if you drink coffee frequently enough. Cups aren't quite as clean as through a paper filter, but I prefer it that way.

recently copped a chemex brewer and the KONE filter from Coava coffe in PDX.

As mentioned above, not quite as clean as a paper filter, but they Kone allows oils to pass through yielding a more flavourful/complex cup. We use the Kone at our cafe for tastings...much easier than the traditional cupping method (spoon, bowl etc) and easier to get first timers focusing more so on the flavour profiles in their coffee as opposed to how to properly slurp off of a cupping spoon...love the Kone, don't think I'll ever use paper again

Also on pre-order type status for the Kone funnel...full immersion brewing action with the kone, fucking excited!

^ why? Thinking about picking up a hario skerton

If you're going to make drip coffee, don't get the skerton because it has the "burr-wobble" problem. For finer grinds, the skerton should be okay but for coarser grinds, the skerton is flawed because the burr is not secured (resulting in uneven grounds in the coarser settings). Get the Kyocera CM-45 instead.

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Kyocera-Ceramic-Coffee-Grinder-CM-45-CF_p_1993.html

15 minutes to manually grind enough for 2 cups vs 20 secs. imagine doing this daily in the morning. Time is precious.

Yeah I will probably get a legit electric grinder for when I finally get a nice espresso machine. But for drip coffee, hand grinding only takes ~2 minutes for about 24 grams of coffee. That makes for 12 ounces of coffee for 2 minutes of effort. Not too bad.

@GregoryH: Kone looks interesting. you ever tried flannel filters? Any comparison?

I got a Hario flannel filter in addition to regular paper filters. Cloth filters allow more coffee oils to pass through than paper filters resulting in a more tasty cup. Only problem is that you have to keep it clean and soak it in water in the frig in between uses + use Oxyclean or some shit once in a while. If not, it'll make your coffee taste weird.

The Kone looks like it would be easier to maintain than cloth filters.

I got a Hario flannel filter in addition to regular paper filters. Cloth filters allow more coffee oils to pass through than paper filters resulting in a more tasty cup. Only problem is that you have to keep it clean and soak it in water in the frig in between uses + use Oxyclean or some shit once in a while. If not, it'll make your coffee taste weird.

The Kone looks like it would be easier to maintain than cloth filters.

Thanks for the info!

1. Any idea where to get a hario cloth filter online? (haven't been able to find it in a while)

2. Any idea if the Kone filter works for the Hario v2?

^

1. I got my cloth filter from here:

http://www.merae.com/hario-V60-cotton-polyester-filter-VGNF-02.aspx

2. The Kone filter is reported to fit very well into the Hario V60 02 and it also fits perfectly into a Chemex brewer. The Hario V60 01 size is probably too small though. If interested, this thread has some info on how the Kone compares to paper filters and other types of metal filters:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/511503

Now I really want to get a Kone. fukkk

Time to lurk on coffeegeek/ home-barista. lol

My coffee loving friends and I have had a long standing debate about who roasts the best beans here in Chicago. So we bundled up, got on our bikes and sampled the big three today; Asado, Metropolis, and Intelligencia. We unanimously went for Asado's current Siesta roast. Though each cup was spectacular enough to make it worth battling the near subzero weather. Couldnt think of a better way to tour Chicago than through amazing coffee.

My coffee loving friends and I have had a long standing debate about who roasts the best beans here in Chicago. So we bundled up, got on our bikes and sampled the big three today; Asado, Metropolis, and Intelligencia. We unanimously went for Asado's current Siesta roast. Though each cup was spectacular enough to make it worth battling the near subzero weather. Couldnt think of a better way to tour Chicago than through amazing coffee.

hey, have you seen this? http://chicago.timeout.com/articles/restaurants-bars/91287/15-spots-to-drink-coffee-now

I gotta try Bridgeport now

Really interesting - I lived in Bridgeport for 2 years and hoped that the neighborhood would turn around but it moved slowly. It's amazing to see a coffee shop/roaster like this in that area now; I'll have to stop by on my next visit to Chicago.

well shit...looks like i got more coffee to try. thanks for the info. bridgeport is a hell of a long ride from my school, but something to look forward to when it warms up.

Make a day out of it... eat at Ricobene's and then go see a Sox game.

For quality of coffee, Metropolis was my least favorite of the three. Still damn good roasters, but their blend was a bit too dark for my liking (compounded by the barista's slow pour over method). Also, definitely the largest of the three stores. There is lots of seating and its always busy (as it is right next to a college). Definitely worth dropping by if you're near, but maybe not worth seeking out.

Im about to check out another local roaster called Casteel on the North Shore, just a bit north of my school. I will let ya know how it is.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally bought the Kone, and I'm still getting used to it.

I've been using this video as a guide

So far for me(anyways) its a more acidic lighter cup, but not as deep, nutty which I prefer with a v60/paper filters.

Update:

I wasnt using enough coffee. For 8 ounce cup you need 28 grams vs 17-20 for a 8 cup in a v60. Once I used more coffee it produced a wonderful cup.

anyone have a link to that garra video of japanese guy demo-ing pour over? website is down, and all I can find is the ironing and shoe polishing vids on youtube etc.

Trying to explain to friends how amazing it was to stumble across his shop in Tokyo, and it's a much better story w/ the video.

Btw, the shop is in Shibuya, Chatei Hatou.

You can easily reverse the photo in Photobooth. It's under Edit-> Flip photo or Auto Flip New Photos.

Anyway, looks like a good pickup. Although a pound seems like a lot. It takes me about 2-3 weeks to go through half a pound. But I only make about 12 ounces of coffee a day (2 6oz cups) so I could see people going through way more.

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly because I hate to see my favorite thread so quiet, thought Id share a quick anecdote for my Chicago coffee lovers. Checked out a fairly new shop called Ch'ava in Uptown. They are known for bringing back the Clover Coffee Maker from the clutches of Starbucks bullshit by using Intelligentsia beans. I got my cup using the Anjilanaka Bolivian roast, which Im normally quite fond of. However, the final product was.....meek. Much like the overly trendy decor (with Radiohead clichely creeping [pun] out the speakers) the coffee turned out sterile. Its my first experience with quality beans from a Clover, and was not expecting those results.

To get some liveliness back to my palette, went over to my dear Asado to try their splendid Burundi medium roast.

Produced this video recently for 3sixteen... it documents the Coffee Foundry, a small batch roaster and coffee shop in NYC's West Village. Those of you in NYC (or visiting) should definitely give them a try.

^ great video. What did you shoot that on? I like how it wasn't a "news-piece" like so many of videos that are .

I love that the guy roasts his coffee in his parents backyard on what looks like a gas grill.....

ajchen--nice video. I don't know why sufu is saying I need to spread rep before giving you more.

anyway, also checked out the others in the Singularities series. really like them. I especially love the Invisible NYC when the guy talks about the artists coming into his studio just to fan themselves with their portfolios. awesome