coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

What's the general consensus on those Keurig single-cup coffee makers?

Also, what's a good starter setup for someone who has newly moved out on his own? I have a fair amount of disposable income, so I can pay some, but not looking for anything obnoxiously expensive. Or, links to some sort of guide would be cool. This thread is long.

What's the general consensus on those Keurig single-cup coffee makers?

Also, what's a good starter setup for someone who has newly moved out on his own? I have a fair amount of disposable income, so I can pay some, but not looking for anything obnoxiously expensive. Or, links to some sort of guide would be cool. This thread is long.

The ONLY advantage Keurig systems have is sheer convenience; the coffee itself is deplorable. The setup you see above is as affordable as it gets and makes a great cup of coffee.

http://shop.hariousa.com/product.sc?productId=37&categoryId=10

http://shop.hariousa.com/product.sc?productId=8&categoryId=6

http://shop.hariousa.com/product.sc?productId=66&categoryId=9

I'd maybe look at a scale to portion out your beans, and then you're all set. Total cost of all items above: $60.

I like the dripper but it doesn't work for me cause I drink at least 3 cups in the morning. Otherwise it's a perfect setup. That's how they make it at my favorite coffee shops and it's always on point.

they make a 3 cup dripper

http://shop.hariousa.com/product.sc?productId=10&categoryId=6

Super dark roast, or any dark roast is a huge sham. Stop buying out of season, low quality coffee with all it's flaws hidden by overroasting, do yourself a favor, go to Ultimo Coffee, 1900 S. 15th Street • Philadelphia, PA 19145. They'll hit you off right, for drinks there, but just as importantly, for some awesome coffees from counter culture. It'll make your french pressing that much more awesome, I promise.

good call tmadd. are you from philly and live in LA now? for philly, spruce st espresso does counterculture. also bodhi on south 2nd carries stumptown beans

Not from Philly, nor have I been, but Ultimo comes highly recommended from multiple sources I trust, and the owner is pretty involved in the specialty coffee community, plus I'm down with a lot of the philosophical underpinnings at work in that particular coffee bar (no condiment bar).

As far as calibration of the virtuoso, I've only ever worked much with mine, so I know what settings work for it, and have some guesses on where I would start (30ish for press, 10ish for moka to start) but your results in the cup will be your best guide. Congrats on picking up the virtuoso, you won't regret it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Self Edge Passion #1 - Coffee

All of our employees and managers across our three stores have many passions in common. One of those is coffee.

We love the idea behind the process and ritual behind the making and drinking of an espresso or coffee of any kind.

There is a coffee outfit in New York City by the name of The Coffee Foundry which we've been quite impressed by.

Run by two guys from Brooklyn, they roast beans in their back yard then serve their coffee in multiple variations from espresso to single cup pour-overs in their West Village cafe. We don't just love them because they wear our jeans, they make some of the most soulful coffee you've ever tasted.

From single plantation beans to timing your every espresso pull, this is what coffee is and these guys Do It Street.

The Coffee Foundry - NYC

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

The Self Edge Passion #1 - Coffee

There is a coffee outfit in New York City by the name of The Coffee Foundry which we've been quite impressed by.

Gotta check this place out.

Right now I'm really digging the Panama Hartmann Honey beans from Gimme Coffee in Soho. Brewing this in my French press in the morning is the best part of my day. It's all downhill from there. Sigh.

http://www.gimmecoffee.com/Panama-Hartmann-Honey-P67C13.aspx

Agreed... I also thought I wanted the hand grinder... I still have it but in the morning I use a burr...

on a weekend when I have time I use the hand grinder

I found this one at a thift

It only worked for about 3 seconds... I took it apart a little, cleaned out the five pounds of caked on grounds in it... works perfect... and got it for like five bucks...