coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

What do you guys think, cream and sugar in coffee = blasphemy?

Personally, I enjoy both black coffee and, occasionally, coffee with a little half & half + sugar. This Nicaraguan coffee I've tried a few weeks ago had an interesting acidity that when mixed with cream and sugar, tasted pretty bad. However, the Sumatran blend I'm drinking right now tastes amazing with a little cream and sugar. I'll usually drink a few ounces of black coffee and then add some sugar and cream.

I like both so the question is, do I become a coffee purist and develop my taste for black coffee or just keep the status quo?

While the pretentious superfuture hipster in me says yes, nothing but black is blasphemy –

there's nothing wrong in liking coffee the way you do, as long as you don't overwhelm the taste of coffee itself.

First off, you should drink things the way you like it. My roommate drinks Cosco bulk French roast from a Mr. Coffee with flavored creamer. To me, it ruins the drink, but its a matter of personal taste.

Personally, a bit of quality cream can occasionally bring out hidden sweetnesses in coffee, but for the most part adding things kills a lot of the complexities among different roasts. (Dark roasting and flavorings is what made robusta beans drinkable).

Personally, Iike half/half in my coffee, not too much but just a little.

Don't forget that Cappuccino and latte contain milk and I'd consider them in the coffee family

Also, anyone interested in doing some form of coffee exchange? Here in Chicago I have access to a plethora of quality small scale roasters, and I'm always finding more and more places (and as it gets warmer my biking radius expands). I'd love to share the places I love here with other people, while trying other people's favorites. Also, with USPS flatrate boxes it wouldnt be bad sending a 1/2-1lb.

PM me if you want to try to get something started.

This is my local. Arguably the best coffee in Sydney.

http://www.camposcoffee.com/

The owner travels far and wide to personally source beans, and they roast their own. Often features in travel magazines here and in Japan.

The coffee exchange is a brilliant idea, Arsenal. I'd love to get in on it but it might get a bit expensive posting to Australia. Plus the extended postal time means the beans probably won't be at their best, not to mention the overkill on biological materials for which Australian Customs is infamous :)

Source or get the fuck outta here... Please tell me your trollin?!?!?! Hahaha...

Seriously though, whatever. Still the best coffee I've tasted in Sydney :) Won't be changing because it is <100% arabica.

You start out with the best arabica beans but get a shitty barista to make your coffee (ie, 95% of cafes in Sydney) and it still tastes like shit. I'll take my chances with an arabica/robusta blend and quality baristas...

edit: I include Toby's Estate in that other 5%. For me, coffee in Sydney goes Campos > Toby's Estate > Single Origin Roasters >> all other cafes. (♥ Toby's Estate :), might have to head down there this week, it's been a minute...)

As stoked as I am about the prospect of trying an international roaster, I dont think shipping would be very feasible (especially as a broke college student). With shipping costs it'd make it a $27+ pound of coffee.

Plus, it'd take about 10 days (at least) for it to make it to you, and I normally only drink about a 1/2lb every 10-12 days, putting the beans far past peak freshness. You should try to hit up a trade with someone from Melbourne though! Enjoy your trip to Toby's, I've heard good things from a schoolmate from Sydney.

Sometime this summer, is anybody else intersted in trying their hand at roasting some of sweetmarias.com coffee? I twould be cool to swap recipes and roasting times.

Funny, I visited Temple Coffee on a day trip to Sacramento a few weeks ago. The coffee there was amazing!

It's one of the best coffee shops I've been to, and I loved the architecture, the design inside, and that they carry Hario, Baratza, etc. Cute baristas, too.

Sometime this summer, is anybody else intersted in trying their hand at roasting some of sweetmarias.com coffee? I twould be cool to swap recipes and roasting times.

Roasting some soon on the Ron Kyle drum roaster. I'll let you know how it turns out

As stoked as I am about the prospect of trying an international roaster, I dont think shipping would be very feasible (especially as a broke college student). With shipping costs it'd make it a $27+ pound of coffee.

Plus, it'd take about 10 days (at least) for it to make it to you, and I normally only drink about a 1/2lb every 10-12 days, putting the beans far past peak freshness. You should try to hit up a trade with someone from Melbourne though! Enjoy your trip to Toby's, I've heard good things from a schoolmate from Sydney.

Ideally coffee should be consumed within 10-24 days of roasting.

Peak freshness is as close to roast as possible, even 10 days is beyond peak freshness.

24-36 hours after roasting, CO2 is still trapped within the beans, due to caramelisation during the roasting process. The CO2 gradually 'escapes' after this time. Obviously a light roast will need less time to 'de-gas' compared to a more roasted coffee.

Peak freshness is as close to roast as possible, even 10 days is beyond peak freshness.

Disagree. Never worked in the industry, but know many people that roast (both commercial and hobby) and apparently you don't want to start drinking until close to 10 days after roast.

24-36 hours after roasting, CO2 is still trapped within the beans, due to caramelisation during the roasting process. The CO2 gradually 'escapes' after this time. Obviously a light roast will need less time to 'de-gas' compared to a more roasted coffee.
Disagree. Never worked in the industry, but know many people that roast (both commercial and hobby) and apparently you don't want to start drinking until close to 10 days after roast.

it all depends on the brew method. We let all of our coffee rest for a couple days after roast but for drip (pour over, siphon, clever) we try to only allow a couple days. Espresso on the other hand...yes, should rest for 5 days or so after roast as to avoid any crazy blooming during extraction.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys –

In Portland for a week, recommend me awesome coffee shops! So far all have not disappointed, but give me the SUPERFUTURE recommended coffee shops.

Going to visit Stumptown, anything else I should take a look at?

Dankë