what are you eating today?

soepom

A friend and I decided to check out a few of the fifties Americana burger joints in Japan, as suggested by "hamburger book" issue of Lightning Magazine. Did not disappoint.

The chili cheeseburger from Firehouse in Bunkyo;

img2827blacked.jpg

img2829l.jpg

The double lot burger from Brozers in Nihombashi-ningyocho;

img2841blacked.jpg

img2843f.jpg

And, finally, a cheeseburger from Soul Dressing, opposite the Warehouse store in Ebisu(?)

This was easily the single tastiest burger we ate in Japan. It tasted like it was made from some seriously high-quality beef that was sacrilegiously minced into burger patty. Oishi-desu indeed...

img2643g.jpg

I can't even imagine how many other amazing burger joints we must have missed when we were in Tokyo. The Japanese know how to make a delicious burger, not to mention all the ridiculously delicious Japanese food we ate. The lettuce is always amazingly crisp. More art than food.

Its been very cold and snowy and we've been making very simple roasted meats and vegetables for dinner.

Yesterday:

FOOD022010_1.jpg

FOOD022010_2.jpg

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Apples and Balsamic Vinegar

Herb Roasted Beets

Wilted Spinach with Shallots

Bittersweet Chocolate Tartlets with Sea Salt and Freshly Whipped Vanilla Cream

Today:

IMGP0023-1.jpg

Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb stuffed with herbs

Roasted Potatoes with Sea Salt

Wilted Mustard Greens with Lemon

I went to the LA Street Food Fest last weekend and I finally got around to uploading a few. It was awesome, I recommend anybody in the area during the time next year(and hopefully for years after that) to go get some food. Cheap and lots of selection from all over LA. Not a lot of good Asian though, no good Asian street trucks, need to go to Taiwan for that.

Chef Ludo's Chicken! It was great. But it was so sunny that day...hard to not overexpose.

DSC02036.jpgDSC02036.jpg

Sorry...another overexposed one...but the CoolHaus IceCream Sandwich truck was there...pretty bomb assortment, 2 sandwiches for 3$. Pictured is the chocolate chip and bacon butter ice cream sandwich.

DSC02049.jpgDSC02049.jpg

Dogzilla. Hotdogs with a Japanese "twist". It was just like random shit thrown on it to make people think it was Japanese...although it wasn't. Avocado, sesame seeds, seaweed, onions, teriyaki sauce. Thought this was gonna be some wacko shit at first. But was actually pretty good.

DSC02095.jpgDSC02095.jpg

Grilled Cheese Truck. Shit was so good. Had their deluxe sandwich or whatever it was called. Mac & Cheese. Sauteed Onions. BBQ Pulled Pork and like 2 kinds of cheese.

DSC02134.jpgDSC02134.jpg

Another overexposed shot, but I like it.

DSC02140.jpgDSC02140.jpg

Also, some food I had after I arrived home for CNY...I'll post pics of all that food later today...

A chef I've known for a while gave me some premium Kobe and curry. Decided to make some for dinner.

Thawing.

DSC01977.jpg

This is the curry, he said it takes him 2 weeks to make. Puts in all kinds of tasty stuff like lobster brain, fish, herbs, spices, etc. He wouldn't really tell me everything he put in. He gave it to me frozen to preserve it longer. Pre-heat.

DSC01978.jpg

Damn. Look at how marbled that meat is.

DSC01988.jpg

Coooooookin'.

DSC01994.jpg

My Mom always makes this for Chinese New Year. Excellent source of fiber and deliciousness.

DSC02001.jpg

I admit, the entire meal pulled together looks sort of lame. But tasted so good.

DSC02007.jpg

And dessert. Some hong dou nian gao. I love this shit.

DSC02009.jpg

Photos from a failed attempt at hunting down an Okonomiyaki. After about an hour of driving around, we get there to Little Tokyo, to find that the place was open any other day except Monday, FML.

Takoyaki's instead.

4370314888_1f79b10505_o.jpg

4369566201_7ceb17a1f5_o.jpg

Progressively trying to drown down the imagined Okonomiyaki taste away. A beer, and then later to a tapas place.

4370314978_212baff8df_o.jpg

4369566653_022bd42a49_o.jpg

4369566479_13a1d52020_o.jpg