The Flight Jacket Thread

still

Got a question for you guys!

I'm thinking about buying one of those Buzz Rickson's. I hesitate between a L-2 and a MA-1. I's like to know more about the outer nylon, Is it the same on both or is the one of the MA-1 heavier?

And what do you think of the warmth, is the MA-1 to heavy for spring and fall?

Thanks guys.

Got a question for you guys!

I'm thinking about buying one of those Buzz Rickson's. I hesitate between a L-2 and a MA-1. I's like to know more about the outer nylon, Is it the same on both or is the one of the MA-1 heavier?

And what do you think of the warmth, is the MA-1 to heavy for spring and fall?

Thanks guys.

The nylon is the same, it's the lining that makes the difference. Where do you live? The MA-1 is good for about up til about 45 degrees. I'd rock an L-2 for spring myself.

-Jake

One more question for you Jake since I saw you got Buzz Rickson's jackets. Where did yu get yours from? Sraight from Japan or History Preservation? And if from Japan, which retailer?

thnks

I've gotten mine from HPA. I have ordered some stuff from mil-mil.net but not BR jackets.

-Jake

Finally ordered mine from HP. Can't wait to get it.

I finally went for the MA-1 in sage green, I think I'll wear it more than a L-2 when I'll be back to France. I'm a bit worried about the lenght since I'm 6'4 but they told me they thought it could be fine and if I have any trouble I can return it.

Very good service.

Thanks again Jake, I'll try to post some pics of the fit pretty soon.

Is there such a thing as a decent A-2 for someone on a budget? I've liked how they look for awhile now but I am not sure how much I'd want to actually wear one. What's the cheapest decent jacket out there?

Thanks.

US Authentic is a good place to start, and their pattern makes some concessions to modern clothes - they tend to be longer in the body then most originals ever were, but will fit better over an untucked t-shirt accordingly.

What are you looking to spend roughly?

-Jake

To be honest, I don't really even know...the US Authentics ones are more than I'd like to spend right now (should be buying a house pretty soon here). That probably leaves me with used/thrift. Anything particular to look for in a thrift jacket?

To be honest, I don't really even know...the US Authentics ones are more than I'd like to spend right now (should be buying a house pretty soon here). That probably leaves me with used/thrift. Anything particular to look for in a thrift jacket?

A one piece back is the hallmark of an A-2 - don't get one without it. Also it should have no handwarmer slit pockets. And wool knits if you can find it. The smaller sizes are cheaper - expect to pay more size 40 and up.

-Jake

what's the quality like on alpha industries ma-1s? and what's the difference b/w the authentic one and the normal one besides the price?

Quality? I am sure it is a nicely made item. Authentic? No. It has the wrong lining, the wrong nylon and is usually worn too big to look anything like the originals. The originals were less puffy than the current Alpha ones.

-Jake

The nylon is different (hard to describe but if you look at an original and a Buzz Rickson repro you'd see the difference between those and the Alpha) and the lining in the originals was a wool/cotton mix which was flat, not batting. Still that's not a terrible early model MA-1 reproduction; it's got the wire lead snaps under the arms and oxygen holder attachment near the zipper. But it should be sized 36-38-40-42 etc not S,M,L,XL etc.

-Jake

The Flight Jacket KING as far as authentic repros go. Goodwear Dubow. It just came in hte mail and itsAWESOME. Here are some shots that show it next to an original at John Chapmans (Goodwear) web site.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Dubow_04_sz52/

Check out how close the color and the small details are to the original Dubow. The grain and the hide weight are almost perfect.

The Flight Jacket KING as far as authentic repros go. Goodwear Dubow. It just came in hte mail and itsAWESOME. Here are some shots that show it next to an original at John Chapmans (Goodwear) web site.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Dubow_04_sz52/

Check out how close the color and the small details are to the original Dubow. The grain and the hide weight are almost perfect.

I agree. If you want an A-2 and money is not an object - Goodwear is your best bet.

Beautiful jacket, Allen.

-Jake

Can't wait to see it. Gotta get together with you and Paul etc soon.

-Jake

Cool I think a few brewskis are in order. Maybe later this month?

Sounds like a plan. Post some shots of the new jacket being worn when you get a chance!

-Jake

I think the sizing is similar to the L-2's but - and this is all from memory - the navy jackets, they have a waterproof layer between the outer shell and the lining (which is probably alpaca or some similar wool blanket type thing. It's sort of like a plastic membrane - and it sort of sounds like a plastic bag is in your jacket all the time. But I've never seen one in the flesh so I don't know personally if that's true. Me personally, I prefer the zipper model deck jacket over that style which has firefighter like latches to close it up.

-Jake

I know this is, like, 3 weeks late but, in case anyone is still interested in the 1943 BR deck jacket, I have one and am very happy with it. They do run a bit large (my BR Tanker Jacket is a 48, while the Deck Jacket is a 46). The lining is wool and you'll probably not want to wear it w/o a long-sleeve shirt. Finally, Jake is correct about the plastic bag aspect. At first, I kept looking for some shipping material I forgot to remove :)

Anyway, I quickly became accustomed to it, and on the plus side the jacket will keep you warm and dry. The shell material is tough as nails, too.

Nice thread! I've had A-2s by Flightsuits, Flight Jacket.com, Aero, and RMNZ. The RMNZ was custom fitted by Paddy after lots of measurements and sending a few stock jackts back and forth. Then I sent it to Jerome Urbaniak for painting of the Dragon Lady from Terry and the Pirates. Here are some of his pics - they are close-ups of the art, sorry no mid-length views of the jacket as a whole. More of my Dragon Lady pictures here: http://tinyurl.com/ywkgvc

225344510.jpg

hi greg do you still have the number/website/email of the guy who painted this on your a2? thanks!

Here's a photo of my year old Eastman Werber A-2. It really is an exceptional repro of the pre-war contract A-2 and the horsehide they used is some of the nicest I've seen used on a repro. This photo was taken a year ago when it was relatively new. After a winter of heavy use it's really looking the part. Grant

werber-1.jpg

hi grant,

the werber looks nice. it seems darker than i thought it would be, or maybe that is just the lighting? do you find it is a closer fit than their other stuff and did you alter your normal size to accomodate?

any fit pics would be appreciated!

Hi Percy,

The sz. 42 Werber fits trimmer in the shoulders and upper torso than other ELC contract jackets I've tried on in the same size. From what I understand the arm holes are cut on the high side which gives the jacket a more tailored appearance. If you've ever tried on a 1930's jacket you can get an idea of what the fit feels and looks like. Also, the sleeves are cut narrow very much like their Roughwear. Personally I like the trim fit although there is plenty of room for movement.

Sorry, I don't have any photos of me wearing the Werber. When I get a chance I'll try and get some taken.

I do have this photo of me wearing an ELC "House" A-2 in russet goat. Their house jacket is cut on the larger side so I bought this sz. 40 which for me fits right on. Grant

ELCA-2front.jpg