The Flight Jacket Thread

still

was doing some surfing got stumbled on these

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/spirits-ogaki/1839526/1857550/

img10454595513.jpeg

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/spirits-ogaki/1839526/1845012/

img10454628650.jpeg

i think i should invest on a really nice a-2 like the real mccoy or the few.. what do you guys think?

The Few jackets are made by Real McCoy's NZ. Their customer service is second to none.

I've not had a Real McCoy's Japan jacket, well, except my RMJ Stagg B-10 which is I think older than their current incarnation.

-Jake

• 2 weeks later...

I would need some help in finding and choosing between the ANJ4, B3, B6 or D1. I live in Sweden so the jacket needs to warm for winter of -10 to 0 degrees celcius, but i guess that isnt a problem with neither of them, maybe the B3 is too hot? How are they sized? I have an a2 from aero leather in size 46 which is a fairly good fit, however slightly too big in chest and very slim in the arms.

Which maker do you guys suggest and what are the pros and cons of above jackets.

Madmax,

For shearling jackets, I don't think you can go wrong with Real McCoys New Zealand. Eastman would also be a good choice.

I've seen D-1's and B-6's that both look very cool and if you wear sweaters underneath them, they should get you through the winter in fine style. The B-3 and ANJ-4 both might be too warm unless worn with a t-shirt only. And going into a building would be murder. Cool as they look, the D-1 and B-6 are both more practical jackets.

Having said all that, I still plan on getting a B-3 some day...

-Jake

How does current issue A2's differ from the repro ones that have been shown in this thread. i was looking on uswings.com and they sell current issues just wanted to know if they are of equal quality and how they compare in fit and other details.

How does current issue A2's differ from the repro ones that have been shown in this thread. i was looking on uswings.com and they sell current issues just wanted to know if they are of equal quality and how they compare in fit and other details.

The current issue jacket is nice but like the world war 2 ones. The current ones are made of a dark goatskin, rather than a russet shade horsehide (although some goatskin jackets were made in ww2, the character of the leather is different). Also the originals have 100% wool knits. The modern ones are a blend. The fit is more modern (which may be a good thing depending on how you dress). In short, they are not the same item. Regardless, I'd avoid US Wings. If you want a modern jacket, crawl eBay.

Does anyone have fit pics of the Us Authentics a2? And any comments on it?

I don't have fit pics, but I know a few people who have them and they like them, however nearly everyone who has owned one eventually sells it and gets a more authentic reproduction down the line, so often the advice is to just save up and get a better one off the bat. See earlier in this thread for some examples of more authentic higher quality reproductions.

Hope that was helpful.

Thanks,

-Jake

Hey Jake, which company makes the best A-1? I'm looking at this one by The Few, but the price is insane.

fewa1.jpg

A-1's are different because there is very little info on the real specs. Also it was a popular civilian jacket until the mid 30's, long after the USAAC and Navy had moved on to the A-2 and M-422(and M-422a etc) for their main flight jackets.

A lot of companies make a good A-1.

1) Goodwear has a good one made of capeskin (the original material used for them)

2) Aero - also has a capeskin model.

Both Goodwear and Aero will make custom jackets

3) ELC's is based on a military contract and quite nice.

4) US Authentic will make a custom one. I've seen it and it's nice but in this case the jacket owner provided the materials to US Authentic so I can't speak to how good their standard materials are for the jacket/

-Jake

Thanks Jake. As usual, your posts are very informative.

Thanks! I just try to help out where I can. The vintage leather jackets forum has a whole thread dedicated to the A-1; if you are really looking into one, I'd check it out. Good stuff there. Airfrogusmc (Allen) had an A-1 made by Aero in capeskin that was gorgeous. I'll ask him to post some pictures and talk about it.

-Jake

Hey Jake, I took my L-2a jacket to a tailor finally a few weeks ago to get it taken slightly in the arms and it fits great. Im addicted now. Too bad it's about to get warm.........

That's great! Glad you like the jacket. The arms can be a bit baggy. Please post some photos when you get a chance.

Thanks,

-Jake

^^^whats the word with this one? very nice.

"This one" is an Aero A-1 that Allen (airfrogusmc) had made in capeskin. Capeskin is sort of like a sheepskin without the wool. Very nice drape.

-Jake

Hey Jake,

Was good hooking up on Sunday,

How'd ya like the new Dubow?

It was great, thanks again. The new Dubow is truly amazing. John's jackets are the epitome of reproductions, if what you want is a jacket that looks like an original, warts and all. For me it gets no better. For others, well their mileage may vary.

To my eye though, John just gets "it".

-Jake