The Flight Jacket Thread

still

• 3 weeks later...
anyone knows how an A-2 fits compared to a Buzz MA-1.

I'm pretty tall and my MA-1 is kind of short and I'd like something a bit longer.

A-2's are also usually short in the body. M422a's are longer, though. And US Authentic A-2's are fairly long torsoed jackets. Any of the big players (Aero, ELC, Goodwear, RMNZ) will custom make a long sized A-2 for you, but stock jackets are short.

Hope that helps.

-Jake

I found this old leather bomber jacket my grandfather wore flying B-24's over Japan in WWII. The leather is old and dried out and unfortunately there is a large tear on the upper right part of the chest.

I am wondering where is the best place to send this to be restored and perhaps repair the large tear?

jacket001-1.jpg

jacket003-2.jpg

jacket002.jpg

Looks like your Grandfather was in the Navy or Marines flying patrol bomber missions in his PB4Y-1 (naval version of the Liberator), based on that jacket. Also, most likely he flew later in the war, as people earlier in the war were too close to the equator for that to be needed (Navy missions were traditionally lower; in fact the PB4Y-2, the Privateer the subsequent model of patrol bomber was designed for low altitude operations).

Navy fleeces are notoriously fragile. Aero in Scotland can attempt a restoration, but you'll have to trust their judgment as to whether this jacket can be restored to daily wearing duties.

Great piece of history you've got there!

-Jake

^ Thanks, interesting info. He was actually a B-24 pilot. I'm not sure what other aircraft he may have flown. I was floored to find this in the closet of his Montana farm and hope to wear it someday.

It's definitely restorable - it just might be prohibitively expensive. Aero are nice folks regardless - just send a picture their way, and see what they say.

My Grandfather was a B-24 pilot (co-pilot) as well. And in the Pacific, no less. Flew in the 7th AF, 11th Bomb Group, 431st Bomb Squadron. 30 missions. But he was an Army Air Force pilot, whereas, based on your Grandfather's jacket, he was in the Navy or Marines. Same plane, different branch of service.

-Jake

As Jake said WWII Navy shearling is very fragile and hasn't stood the test of time well. Even if Aero said they could repair the exisiting tear there's no guarantee it wouldn't blow out somewhere else if it's worn. Unfortunately I speak from experience. That being said, it's still very cool you have a piece of history from your grandfather.

That last picture shows the hide as having a slightly greenish tinge - I presume it's just the picture, yeah? What shot would you say has the most accurate color?

Nice jacket - and jeans too.

-Jake

I emailed Amanda at Aero and she said they could patch the interior with vintage sheepskin but could do nothing about the tear in the leather. So, seems I'm still back at square one. I would think someone could patch the leather as well.

I emailed Amanda at Aero and she said they could patch the interior with vintage sheepskin but could do nothing about the tear in the leather. So, seems I'm still back at square one. I would think someone could patch the leather as well.

Yeah - I suppose replacing the front right panel is 1/4 of the jacket, it would be prohibitively expensive. It's difficult to patch the leather, but I believe there is a method where they shave down the shearling by the tear, and then back it with the patch and so on. Did Amanda explain how they would patch it? If the leather as a whole is dry and old, the jacket is likely to tear elsewhere too. Pecards leather dressing might help restore some flexibility to the leather, but that doesn't mean it will be stronger really.

-Jake

This is what she said...

"All we can do really is place a piece of tape from the armhole across

the chest just underneath the tear, and replace everything above it with

vintage sheepskin we have here (we will try and find a good match).. and then

place a fake piece of tape on the other side of the chest to make it look

symmetrical…. "

I suppose someone could stitch the leather tear but that wouldn't look right. Guess I'll need to give up on this one. Any idea if this is even sellable given the condition?

It is saleable, but not likely to draw much for anything other than it's zipper and label, if it's really dry and beat. If you aren't feeling too sentimental about it, you could have Amanda do what she's suggesting, but have her leave the un-torn side alone - it would look like a field repair (Which in essence it is) to the jacket.

-Jake

Edmond, it looks much more chocolate brown in the fit pics - like I indicated, I think the greenish cast was from the photo, not the jacket itself.

-Jake

This is what she said...

"All we can do really is place a piece of tape from the armhole across

the chest just underneath the tear, and replace everything above it with

vintage sheepskin we have here (we will try and find a good match).. and then

place a fake piece of tape on the other side of the chest to make it look

symmetrical…. "

I suppose someone could stitch the leather tear but that wouldn't look right. Guess I'll need to give up on this one. Any idea if this is even sellable given the condition?

Braid, like Jake suggested I would leave the unripped side be and even go as far as to suggest you'd go for a hand done type of repair.

On my own sheepskin I ripped the shoulder open on something and I just really crudely stitched it close with waxed thread, makes for a great looking repair with a certain charm to it. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it'll suit the look of the jacket and if you actually plan on wearing it it won't be the most formal looking jacket anyway.