The Flight Jacket Thread

still

Thanks Jake,

My only concern with the B-6 is that looks a little bit to "civilian". What do you think of wearing a B-15 for winter, warm enough? The Buzz Rickson ones looks so good with patches!

Madmax,

For shearling jackets, I don't think you can go wrong with Real McCoys New Zealand. Eastman would also be a good choice.

I've seen D-1's and B-6's that both look very cool and if you wear sweaters underneath them, they should get you through the winter in fine style. The B-3 and ANJ-4 both might be too warm unless worn with a t-shirt only. And going into a building would be murder. Cool as they look, the D-1 and B-6 are both more practical jackets.

Having said all that, I still plan on getting a B-3 some day...

-Jake

Thanks Jake,

My only concern with the B-6 is that looks a little bit to "civilian". What do you think of wearing a B-15 for winter, warm enough? The Buzz Rickson ones looks so good with patches!

Max,

It depends. Where do you live? A B-15 can handle a lot of winter weather, but if it gets down below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, you might get a bit chilly. The sleeves are roomy but the body doesn't have a lot of room to layer. A B-6 will have you warmer in a bit chillier climate than that. So, it depends.

Looks-wise, though, I've always liked the B-15 series. Especially the early ones (Up to the B series) with the offset zippers.

Hope that helps.

-Jake

GO cape its OUTSTANDING

I'll second that. Go for capeskin if it's offered. A-1's look truly fantastic in that hide.

-Jake

Max,

It depends. Where do you live? A B-15 can handle a lot of winter weather, but if it gets down below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, you might get a bit chilly. The sleeves are roomy but the body doesn't have a lot of room to layer. A B-6 will have you warmer in a bit chillier climate than that. So, it depends.

Looks-wise, though, I've always liked the B-15 series. Especially the early ones (Up to the B series) with the offset zippers.

Hope that helps.

-Jake

Sweden... So sometimes it definitely gets colder than 20. I guess the best solution would to be get both if the b-3 werent so damn expensive.

I actually prefer the later ones, but they all look good!

Sweden... So sometimes it definitely gets colder than 20. I guess the best solution would to be get both if the b-3 werent so damn expensive.

I actually prefer the later ones, but they all look good!

I think you'd do fine with a B-3 in Sweden. But if the extra warmth is an issue, I might consider Buzz Rickson's B-2. I think it's simply gorgeous, and not quite as warm as B-3 (from what I've heard). Still pricey though. :( Not much in the flight jacket world that isn't, sadly.

-Jake

great fit! how big are you man? i got a 40 br a2 and it fits pretty loose to me.. i think im perfect for a 38 and im not a skinny guy.. great evo!

Guest patchmb

^^ I am 5.10" about 165 pounds 33-34" w in jeans. I am no expert but I always thought that with A-2's different contracts-different cuts & sizes.

• 2 weeks later...
alittle something from kinjiro-san's website

http://www.geocities.jp/ez_co_ltd/thefew20089.html

crazy japanese leather aero jacket collector

That dude is bananas.

Wow.

-Jake

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thinking about getting an A-2 from Goodwear for September (60 to 80 days! that's a long time!), so I have a few questions.

I really like the grain of the goatskin, but is it as resistant as horsehide?

I'm pretty tall and thin so I think I might have some trouble with the length.

Jake, you said they did a longer one for you, do you have fit pics?

And how did you take your measures? Cause I'd like it to still look like an A-2.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I have been reading up and down this thread and found a ton of useful information on flight jackets. I am interested in purchasing either an A-2 or G-1 from US Authentic. My concern is which one would be warmer for the winter time in Michigan. Temperatures can get pretty cold up here. I talked to Shaul and he said that he could add Thinsulate to the lining. I am wondering if I need this for an A-2 and whether or not it will be warm enough just as it is. Or, should I go with a g-1. I am leaning towards the A-2. Any advice from you experts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I have been reading up and down this thread and found a ton of useful information on flight jackets. I am interested in purchasing either an A-2 or G-1 from US Authentic. My concern is which one would be warmer for the winter time in Michigan. Temperatures can get pretty cold up here. I talked to Shaul and he said that he could add Thinsulate to the lining. I am wondering if I need this for an A-2 and whether or not it will be warm enough just as it is. Or, should I go with a g-1. I am leaning towards the A-2. Any advice from you experts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Denimstars,

My advice would be to go for the A-2 from US Authentic. I had a G-1 from them and the back didn't function right. If you want a G-1, I'd recommned getting a M-422a from Gibson and Barnes. They can also do a thinsulate lining if you need one. Neither is really a warm enough jacket for the winter, but the fur collar does make the G-1 warmer than an A-2, all other factors being equal.

Hope that helps some.

-Jake

Thanks for the quick response Jake, what was wrong with back of the G-1 from authentic? Perhaps i should add the Thinsulate lining for the A-2 just to make it a bit warmer. And one more stupid question, in terms of goat skin and horse hide is one warmer than the other or is it more of a texture breaking in thing? I plan on wearing a sweater underneath anyway.

The G-1 back did something which jacket heads call "batwing" - which means that the bi-swing back doesn't retract properly and so the edges of the back curl outward instead of lie flat.

In terms of which is warmer, there doesn't seem to be too much difference between horse and goat, although some say goat is warmer, but I've not noticed a difference.

One option you could go for is to have thinsulate lining and a mouton collar put on one of their A-2's. My advice would be to go for their "vintage" leathers - they are aniline dyed and much nicer than their stock stuff.

-Jake

Here comes another question jake! I guess in terms of warmth which of the leather jackets do you recommend? Or are they all about the same? I am sure the sheepskin jackets are probably much warmer. I have heard the b-3 jacket being very nice in cold weather, although i dont really like the 2 tone color that the US authentic offers with horsehide and goat. Sorry to keep bothering you on this.

No worries.

B-3's are very warm. If I were going to get one, I'd pick Real McCoys, ELC or Gibson and Barnes, not US Authentic (or Aero). B-6's are more useful for actual winter conditions, or so I've heard.

-Jake

• 2 weeks later...