The Flight Jacket Thread

still

WOOOAH,

My Monarch M-422 arrived today !!

The jacket is F***ing awesome ...

- Lightning fast delivery from Goodwear. I only spoke to John three days ago when He informed me it was being shipped. Three days from the States to UK !

Will get some pix up over the weekend, hopefully.

CONGRATS can't wait to see the photos. Best repro Navy jacket I've yet to own and I've owned a lot.

CONGRATS can't wait to see the photos. Best repro Navy jacket I've yet to own and I've owned a lot.

Thanks Airfrog,

yeah it's your jacket that got me hooked !

Will try to get some pix over the weekend maybe, athough will be a while before I can sort some fit-pics. Gotta wear it for a bit. Sorry Almostnice

Anyone have any MA-1 recommendations? I don't want to spend Buzz Rickson type of money

I'd recommend lurking around e-bay for a Buzz quality repro MA1. I've seen a few good used ones lately. I picked up a Gibson a few years ago for over 50% less than a used one and it was nearly brand new. Now I know why. The guy who sold it to me lives in warm climate as is also the case with me, so I rarely wear it but can't get myself to let it go. Last time I wore it was on a ski trip:

Buzz_2.jpg

100_0126.jpg

This worked out pretty well. I just got this from Aero Leather Clothing. It's their "Happy Days" jacket. Man I hate saying that. It's basically an A2 with the flap pockets removed and hand warmers added. I had them swap the stock collar for their Bronco A2 collar because the stock collar was a very "Fonzi" oversize thing. It's their seal, jerky horsehide and rust knits as well. It also has their black, quilted lining for added warmth.

I love the look of A2's and got rid of my Buzz Ricson A2 to buy this because I don't find them all that functional with no usable pockets and the weight tends to be too much for windbreaker weather and too little for colder weather.

I think I'm going to call it the "Suburban Aviator" from now on since I hate the "Happy Days" name so much.

Figured this is as good a thread as any to ask in, I have an N3B Parka made by Alpha that I lost the removable fur hood trim for. Contacted Alpha and they say they don't sell replacements. Anyone know where I might be able to track one down?

Chuko

You should have kept the oversize collar, Fonzi would have been proud !

On an unrelated matter, did you pick up a vintage stormrider yet?

The good old fonz! I have real collar issues actually it's one of my weird OCD things that the collar not be too giant.

I'm really happy with this jacket. It actually isn't very Fonz like at all after Google imaging the old boy. It's pretty much an Aero A2 with the flap pockets removed and hand warmers added which is my dream jacket. I'm a real functionality freak. I can't buy anything cool unless it's also functional.

Aero seems to make really nice jackets based on this one and the pictures I've seen of people showing them off. Their own pictures on the Aero site are awful though. I would never know how cool most of them are based the companies own photos.

I didn't tell you? I got a nice stormrider off the bay but it turned out to small even though the measurements seemed right. I have to figure out what to do with it now. It seems like a size 38 and I'm a 42. I'll post some pictures on the denim jacket thread.

My Aero russet horseside arrived last monday.bought it from their used section for 225,-GBP ( 360,- new) in good condition:

4179694690_08e5e85a9e.jpg

4179687838_cddd730444.jpg

4179690144_0045b1b2f5.jpg

4179692508_cf8e0f268f.jpg

i am very pleased with what i got for my money.its exactly my size,the arms are long enough and the leather is nicely broken in.I tried new Aeros on in a shop,all horseside,and they were unbelieveable stiff.

I havent got a clue how authentic this jacket is,the Aero one in the McCoys specbook differs slightly-Talon zip,longer knits,brown thread and different collardetails.maybe some of the gurus can shed some light here.

but for now I really really loving it!

Almost nice, I suspect the jackets you tried on were front quarter horsehide. That stuff is brutal from everything I've read. I think Aero uses what they call their "jerky horse" on most of their A2's. My Aero jacket that I posted a couple of pages back is jerky HH and though it's stiff in a new jacket sort of way it is still very comfortable and easy to wear.

My Aero russet horseside arrived last monday.bought it from their used section for 225,-GBP ( 360,- new) in good condition:

4179694690_08e5e85a9e.jpg

4179687838_cddd730444.jpg

4179690144_0045b1b2f5.jpg

4179692508_cf8e0f268f.jpg

i am very pleased with what i got for my money.its exactly my size,the arms are long enough and the leather is nicely broken in.I tried new Aeros on in a shop,all horseside,and they were unbelieveable stiff.

I havent got a clue how authentic this jacket is,the Aero one in the McCoys specbook differs slightly-Talon zip,longer knits,brown thread and different collardetails.maybe some of the gurus can shed some light here.

but for now I really really loving it!

the aero you got is made by aero in scottland right?

from what they told me ( real mccoys) that the aero theu repro-ed are the aero leather clothing based in new york. which already closed down.

so another company made ( im not sure) opened a new leather factory in scottland named aero leather clothing. so real mccoy had to pay aero ( scottland) for the rights of this but supposedly they should be paying the real company ( which already closed down) .

xoxo,

ed