The Flight Jacket Thread

still

It fits exactly like the original that a friend of mine sent to GW to copy. He got one, another friend of ours got one and I got one. Mines a dead on copy of the original...No mods. The color is DEAD ON to the original. The weight of the hide is as close to an original as I've seen from a repro maker and the grain is amazing. And the label and the NOS Crown zip are icing on the cake.

that is crazy. it surely could be sold as an original.. albeit in too good condition! looks great on too.. which im sure is an important issue :)

im looking through the other jacket pics now, john is an artist.

No doubt. He gets the little details right. The jacket is a great fit drapes beautiful right outta the box, not stiff at all...A year or two of hard wear and it will be hard to tell it from an original. I've only had it since last Friday.

Allen I am one jealous jackethead. The GW looks great. I feel like I might have to get an A-1 made out of that horse from John for the fall.

-Jake

Why not cape?

Concerned with wearing it in inclement weather. I don't know how water resistant cape is, compared to horse.

-Jake

Concerned with wearing it in inclement weather. I don't know how water resistant cape is, compared to horse.

-Jake

In my opinion thats WAY OVER RATED. I wore my Aero in all kinds of weather and it never hurt it. Yeah there aren't allot of 80 + year old origianls around today but they were worn in open cockpits and wee made in very small #s compared A-2s during the war and they (original A-1s) still show up once in a while.

In my opinion thats WAY OVER RATED. I wore my Aero in all kinds of weather and it never hurt it. Yeah there aren't allot of 80 + year old origianls around today but they were worn in open cockpits and wee made in very small #s compared A-2s during the war and they (original A-1s) still show up once in a while.

Fair enough - I guess I just don't want to own a fragile jacket. But I saw your Aero A-1 many times, and it looked like it was handling wear just fine.

-Jake

Fair enough - I guess I just don't want to own a fragile jacket. But I saw your Aero A-1 many times, and it looked like it was handling wear just fine.

-Jake

90 year old jackets that spent a much harder life than we'll ever put them through are still around, not as strong as goat for sure but niether is horse, but there are some capes still around so I think if you're bar hopp'n and car ride'n that puppy will out live you and Johns cape is really special.

90 year old jackets that spent a much harder life than we'll ever put them through are still around, not as strong as goat for sure but niether is horse, but there are some capes still around so I think if you're bar hopp'n and car ride'n that puppy will out live you and Johns cape is really special.

True - I'm not exactly planning on picking up an A-1 to accessorize my Jenny biplane here.

-Jake

Yeah I know but JCs cape is AMAZING and very different (special not that this horse isn't, but) even if you don't a bi plane. I say get the hide the specs called for...

Have you seen one of his A-1's in person? I've just seen the pictures. How'd you get a hand on this capeskin?

-Jake

how easy do you think it would be to install a zip on an A1during manufacture rather than buttons?

I agree with Allen; it would be simple.

-Jake

im considering asking aero if they can do it for me when they reopen next week. cant be much difference in work time as they wont have to make all the button holes etc

I would imagine not, no. Goodwear also make an A-1 which is top notch (not certain if John would put a zip on instead but it can't hurt to ask). Let me (us all really) know what Aero says.

-Jake

i spoke with will at aero today and was advised that i could have a zipper put onto an a1 if i required, either with a flap or in the centre. i could also have a woollen a1-styled collar put onto an a2 instead if i preferred that option! something to think about...

i spoke with will at aero today and was advised that i could have a zipper put onto an a1 if i required, either with a flap or in the centre. i could also have a woollen a1-styled collar put onto an a2 instead if i preferred that option! something to think about...

Percy,

I had smaller pockets placed lower on mine with slightly sculpted pocket flaps & a one piece back.

IMG_6035.jpg

IMG_6042.jpg

IMG_6051.jpg