SNUG (Private Forum)

HEWSINATOR

I used to post a lot at iPod lounge, and it got "over run" with new members/idiots (not saying they are synonymous). Any discussion one tried to have was quickly filled with nonsense; be it iPod related or political, or what. We have supertrash, but that gets derailed quickly and does not really suit this purpose, but what about a place for serious discussions amongst older/more active/proven members?

There they made the "snug" (something to do with old scottish pub backrooms or something) where you had to be invited to view. Here we could discuss things without them being completely public. A store will still sell you jeans with tabs and you do not want to cause trouble, post it in the snug ( an illustrative example).

Want to have an educated debate about the war...post there.

I think you get the idea, would this be something you would be interested in?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is a fantastic idea

was the snug moderated? i especially like the idea if the forum isn't modded

my only reservation is that the good data wouldn't leak out into the main forum, however much i like the idea of keeping out the repeated questions of "what is the slimmest _____ model" or "how do i keep indigo from my kicks"

I do not recall...but in theory there should absolutely be no need, as all members are mature, grown people interested in what it has to offer. Are you and CMF going to get in a flame war there? Not likely.

I do not recall exactly how the membership process worked. I believe once you reached a join date AND post count threshold you were in. If not you had to be invited, and there was no asking for invitations or you were out. I did not post too much (many people joined way after me and had way more posts) and I was invited in there as I like to think there as here, when I do post, it is value added.

So you have say 1 year members with 1000 posts are in, and somebody like me (hopefully) would then be invited.

Here I think you may want to make it invitation only.

my only reservation is that the good data wouldn't leak out into the main forum

Well that onus would be on the individual members, and for a lack of a better way of saying it, it was highly exclusive. But it is still the internet and I would not post stuff that if it leaked would end the superworld. I could not think of a time, and this is not to say it did not happen, when something "leaked."

PS, it was neat to see the conversation in there about inviting me (member consensus) after I got in.

PPS, it seems like I am going for that 10 000 post entrance requirement in this thread.

Thats a good idea man, very good. I think it would be really good for you guys to arrange to meet up and such..... you might not want to tell the whole world when and where etc.....

ddml - I dont think this would stop the exchange of info, everything denim can already be found through a search to be honest, any new products even if they were announced on the SNUG I expect someone would leek em, and id hope most people ( members of the snug ) would frown upon someone announcing a new product solely on the snug and not on the public forums. I cant really see why any one would want to do this anyway. I put links for the eternal 868s up on the public eternal thread, there were only 350 made, but people were kind enough to PM me places to get em when they started selling out everywhere. So sometimes, especially with products I guess its best kept public. I can certainly understand how discussions of a political or personal nature should be kept on a private board.

So im a taurus and blonde, what size diors should I get?

on a forum i use they have a private forum. when i got in i was actually pretty pissed that it had been there all that time and i hadnt known. kind of elitist crap. but i do value its uses now.. it is a good place to discuss things you dont want everyone knowing about etc on this occasion you had to be nominated then invited in, but i think a better method may be post count or length of time registered?

In response to Analog:

Not any more than say a private club in your town. Just a place where you do not have to worry about your kids seeing you do Jello shots. It is simply a place trying to give a feel more like neighborhood pub rather than huge disco. Further, there is one already, just not as formal.

Over at iPod lounge, there really was no negative that I noticed, other than people behaving themselves so they could get in. You actually noticed people going the extra mile in posts, providing links etc... to be a valuable member instead of an idle one, trying to get in.

Further, most people did not know it existed, and first rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club. This is not to say that it is a secret, but you don't start a public post with "over in the snug we were talking...."

Are you kidding that's fucking retarded, circlejerk central :rolleyes:

Care to explain why? I think I have shown some positives.

This is a response you would see in the Snug, not "no you are retarded" (hate to use the term, but as an example it works to show the ignorance you are trying to protect yourself from).

Also over there, there was a problem with the older members leaving as they were bombarded with BS, and did not really have a place to unwind, point out some amusing stuff, etc...This purpose may be a stretch, but worth considering.

Another way to think of it would be like the Graduate Students Lounge.

I don't post at ilounge anymore, probably for the same reasons they created SNUG, but damn, now i would go post there just to be invited to it, hehe...

btw, I run a car forum and a lot of us came from bimmerfest about 4 years ago when it was real small (we had a massive exodus from bimmer.org, but that's another story)... we have a private forum for the old timers and it's great... we can talk about more personal stuff without worrying about people finding out about it with a google search... it's invite only, we would nominate members and vote...

how do you know there isnt one already??

personally i dont think its needed, minya just needs to get his iron fist back in form...keep the trash in the trash.

i do however like the idea of an invite only chat room with no kiddies/trolls thumping away at their keyboards ...

I'm in a private group on another board (that a lot of SF members and anonymous browsers are on also so I wont say which one), and while it is good for those of us in the group to discuss stuff among ourselves without interference, most of us have pretty much stopped or cut way back on posting in the public areas. Which has lead to much of the board turning into an idiot snakepit. Based on that experience, and as someone who probably wouldn't get an invite from the cool kids here (even though I was here before almost all of you!) I think the effect on the rest of the gen pop here at SF would be pretty negative as well.

I used to be a member of a forum where they had a bunch of subforums like here and one of them was a "donator's forum". You had to pay $10 to help with server fees to be able to view it. Most people won't drop the money unless they were serious about the forum and weren't just random new people. It was a much more personal forum where people didn't have to worry about new people or trolls mucking it up.

all of my history hw of the evening concludes that creating social heirachies may benifit those in charge in the short term. it will eventually create too many social inequalities among citizens and disrupt order and whatnot. eventually becoming one of the many contributing factors in the downfall of a civilization. unless you are hindu caste system worked for a good while.

i just feel that if word got out, which it will

because this is taking place in a public forum right now

that we would be accused even more of being

the forum for elitists

and we give noobs enough shit as is

creating some sort of distance between the noobish

and the leet wont do us any good

and less noobs will make the effort to become leet

if we make it dead set in thier minds that leetness is only for the leet

and we seem to have that sort of tone regarding the noobs already

I'm in a private group on another board (that a lot of SF members and anonymous browsers are on also so I wont say which one), and while it is good for those of us in the group to discuss stuff among ourselves without interference, most of us have pretty much stopped or cut way back on posting in the public areas. Which has lead to much of the board turning into an idiot snakepit. Based on that experience, and as someone who probably wouldn't get an invite from the cool kids here (even though I was here before almost all of you!) I think the effect on the rest of the gen pop here at SF would be pretty negative as well.

i'm all for this idea. the rest of the forum is already an idiot pit now anyways. the logistics would have to be determined, as post counts and how long you've been here are not really good ways to determine how/what the user contributes to this forum....i don't know if i'm alone in saying this but the quality of this forum has really taken a nose dive since the new year. I don't know if it's just me being overtly critical at seeing the same things for the past 3 years or an influx of new users.., and i mean new users that sign up with the only intention of posting stupid/malicious shit in supertrash....i don't know...

as far as the elitist thing goes...new/old members are doing it anyways...ie. the forum wars thread that was locked, so at least you'll self contain the smug..

btw, I run a car forum and a lot of us came from bimmerfest about 4 years ago when it was real small (we had a massive exodus from bimmer.org, but that's another story)... we have a private forum for the old timers and it's great... we can talk about more personal stuff without worrying about people finding out about it with a google search... it's invite only, we would nominate members and vote...

i have to agree with that. i have thought about a private forum for a while and should a started a thread earlier.. anyway, the thing i would like the most about a private forum is that there is a lot of stuff i wouldn't mind sharing with other long time members, but at the same time it wouldn't be available publicly. not that i have anything too special to hide, but i'm always uncomfortable posting stuff that can easily be found and the i could get shit from either work or gf etc. i think there is a lot of infos that members pass on to each other by pm that they wouldn't sharing with other long-term members as long as it wouldn't be public. and as more and more members are meeting each other, it would be nice place to keep in touch. as long as members only use the private forum for all that can stay private and use the regular forum for all the rest, i don't see why it would decrease the quality of the forum. and i deserve and invite btw ;)