the "ask an asian" thread.

mizanation

this thread seems finely divided smack down the middle between fratboy race fetishists and kal penn/bobby lee/margaret cho asian kids who haven't learned to address their racial identity the right way yet.

i hope nobody is taking the questions or answers seriously, but that's naive to assume for sure.

yea im asian too.

i have to admit this is probably true. i never went to a japanese school myself, but i know for a fact that it's been a problem forever they never mention any of the atrocities japanese soldiers performed overseas in asian territories they occupied. i don't believe in denials and am deeply disturbed by this bs.

i've also noticed pretty much very little about japanese americans is taught in japan.

recently, it was also revealing to me that my sister who went to good japanese schools and aced history, had never heard of the turtle boat, which from what i understand is a part of the korean pride. to me, it would be beneficial to the japanese people to understand a little bit about their neighbors.

koreans are always too prideful

rep_key_002_l.jpg

Who is this?

And she's only half-Asian. She should just put up one finger.

As to why they do that... I'm guessing they saw some celeb-or-other doing it and thought it was cool.

I know us Filipinos have a prejudice against the Chinese, but we love the Japanese, are there any Asians other Asians are a little prejudiced against?

in the philippines .. chinese had money, and owned lots of the businesses ..... they would not deal with filipinos who didnt speak their language, this caused resentment among the rest of the local populace .. that a foreign group would own most of the businesses and not even bother to deal with the locals.

in fact laws were passed banning chinese from the philippines during the marcos administration .. that law has since been trashed.

Didn't say hate, though, I think it's more resentment.

I think it's historical. I think it's because they were able to prosper in the country even when we were being colonized by the Spaniards. Plus, of course, it's a different culture, so back in the day, we'd see what they were doing, and since it wasn't exactly how we'd go about doing things, we'd say they were wrong. Ignorant shit, but it still around, a little bit, to this day.

We'll still eat siopao, though, nothing stopping us enjoying their food.

Hah, and supercrap is a faster typist than me.

rep_key_002_l.jpg
^ she looks like she sprang to life from some final fantasy game.

theres a massive fascination in wanting to look "too" beautiful, or a skewed idea on beauty.

resulting in a lot of people endulging in cosmetic surgery. i mean no one i born like that.

but i guess this isnt an asian only thing, like anorexia and bulimia being prelervant in the media, whilst the average person is getting fatter in the western world (obviously, no sufus coz then they cant fit into their testicle cleavage achieving super-tiny waisted denim)

why do filipinos hate the chinese ):

japanese hate us too. too bad most chinese wish they were japanese.

Actually, there is still a lot of festering distrust in China towards Japan, for historical reasons - mostly stemming back to the Second World War, but also to the Japanese presence during the "Sick Man of Asia" period in Chinese history.

Also, because of the ridiculously long history of China as the "Middle Kingdom" Chinese, and the majority Han Chinese ethinicity in particular, tend to be rather derogatory towards other nationalities. With the exception of the Japanese, who are often viewed as capable but particularly odious enemies, the other, "minor" Asian nationalities (Koreas, Thais, especially the Filipinos) are regarded as nearly subhuman... Interestingly, Europeans and Americans are often accorded a bit more respect.

what's the big deal about asians hating other asians? it's not as if this is anything new.

yeah, it can't be much different from europeans hating other europeans, middle easterners hating other middle easterners, or the rest of americans hating texans.

okay i'm half-joking about the last point but you get my drift.

yeah, it can't be much different from europeans hating other europeans, middle easterners hating other middle easterners, or the rest of americans hating texans.

okay i'm half-joking about the last point but you get my drift.

exactly. not that i am totally indifferent to the hate, but everybody is alittle ethnocentric/egotistical whether they admit it or not.

why is Dynasty Warriors the best game ever made?
No. Romance of the Three Kingdoms is the best game every made. Period.

1403239b.jpg

i love dynasty warriors but have never heard of the three kingdoms game, is it basically the same thing. i buy like 1 game a year so this might be worth my 19.99, not really a gamer anymore