the "ask an asian" thread.

mizanation

come again?

excuse me if i'm wrong. i've only eaten at a korean restaurant once and it looked like spicy preserved cabbage/vegetables.

fermented hakusai. or i guess some stores call it "chinese cabbage."

Been lurking, but just had to say I had a fabulous Korean born boyfriend, and his mom was fascinated w/ my blonde hair/ green eyes . But she DID not want me to marry her son, no way in hell. I felt I wasn't good enough for him. Oh, I'm not goth,fat, have never seen the crow.

Been lurking, but just had to say I had a fabulous Korean born boyfriend, and his mom was fascinated w/ my blonde hair/ green eyes . But she DID not want me to marry her son, no way in hell. I felt I wasn't good enough for him. Oh, I'm not goth,fat, have never seen the crow.

generally, asian parents only want their kids to marry other asians (probably of the same ethnicity too).

So when a white girl dates an asian guy, is she dating the "crap of the crop"? I'm quoting that from an incredibly nasty thread in superlists..

I didn't read it here on a superlist, but I have read before on some other (forum, or study?) the the two types of people that get the shaft in the 'crop' are Asian males and black women. Asian males because, Asian women (from Asia) supposedly have a tendency to like men who are forward and outgoing (Americans) as oppose to the reserved, introverted Asian male. Of course we're talking about traditional asians, not so much the younger youth of Japan, etc. Oh and small peepees.

And for the black women, black males enjoy the subtleness of white girls. No one likes a hoodrat.

That's basically a summary of what I read, I forgot all the details.

Hakusai, or Bok Choy, or "chinese cabbage" , which is used in kimchi, is different from the western cabbage.

i feel kind of insulted that you didn't think i knew that. thanks anyway.

generally, asian parents only want their kids to marry other asians (probably of the same ethnicity too).

Yeah, but she wanted her daughter to 'get' eyes like mine. Who had beautiful eyes, of course. I'm still hooked on kimchi though. Just eat it standing at the fridge. My husband is appalled. I guess you either way like it or way don't.

Guest youngteam
so my question from a page or two back. Where can i get some kickass quality kimchi in nyc? not from a restuarant, but i want to have some good kimchi in my fridge. Is there a good brand name one?

i'd understand if you lived in ohio, but you live in nyc. korean markets are plentiful.

btw, get ready to have everything in your fridge taste like kimchi.

so my question from a page or two back. Where can i get some kickass quality kimchi in nyc? not from a restuarant, but i want to have some good kimchi in my fridge. Is there a good brand name one?

Sorry:( I'm in Orange County, Ca. It's easy to find the real thing, and hot too.

wth.. don't you mean sui choy, not bok choy? in kimchi..

i am sure that every asian country has their own name for it. for the sake of those unfamiliar, i think we can all agree that koreans do not use regular western-for-sauerkraut "cabbage" in their kim chee. how about "asian cabbage?"

whoa whoa whoa, don't forget radish kimchi. at least i think it's radish. that's what you want when you're having ramen.

i don't know what the koreans call it, but it is daikon in jap.

and this is the first i have heard of anyone pairing daikon-kimchee with ramen (i assume when you write ramen, you mean japaneses noodles, since "ramen" is a japanese term).

i am sure that every asian country has their own name for it. for the sake of those unfamiliar, i think we can all agree that koreans do not use regular western-for-sauerkraut "cabbage" in their kim chee. how about "asian cabbage?"

There are many varieties of "asian" cabbage. For example's sake...

Sui choy is also called napa cabbage in western countries.

napa_cabbage2.jpg

And ta da, bok choy (aka white chinese cabbage):

BokChoyTall.JPG

And ta da, bok choy (aka white chinese cabbage):

BokChoyTall.JPG

i was not aware that koreans used "bok choy" for kim chee though...

do they?

i know they use daikon, hakusai, chives, onions, carrots...

what else (we're only talking veggies not seafood or pig/cow).

no, we do not use bok choy for kimchi. at least i don't think we do.

i'll ask my mom when i see her in socal next month.

after reading this, i find in retrospect your dog joke very ironic/funny.

whoa whoa whoa, don't forget radish kimchi. at least i think it's radish. that's what you want when you're having ramen.

As a young boy, when my mother made daikon salad, she told me it was "white carrot".

I think the general scientific consensus is that it is an Asian variety of radish.