Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

If you can't keep your coworkers/family etc separate then it's because you don't know how to use the internet very well. No one sees anything on my facebook without me allowing it. I have at least 5 different friend lists.

Social networking is here to stay, just like email is here to stay. Right now you sound like those luddites in the past who bemoaned that people didn't write enough letters. It's also ironic that you're posting on a message board and interacting with a community and that you have a QR code as your avatar whilst holding the opinions that you do.

bud, i'm not attacking you personally or anything. i just don't fucks with the facebook. i don't want to have to keep up to date with facebook's bullshit privacy updates on a weekly basis. i don't want to have to constantly opt-out of new services. i don't feel the need to cultivate my online persona. i didn't like the way facebook made me act when i met new people, and it brought little to no value to my actual life, so i deleted it long ago.

i interact with supertrash because it makes me laugh. that's pretty much why i interact with all the online communities that i do, as a form of escape and entertainment.

social networking, in its current form, is more marketing than anything else. marketing that you voluntarily sign up for and cultivate by interacting with others. if facebook would have stuck to their original goal of allowing people to connect and share material, i might still have an account. but they're constantly trying to turn a profit, and all that bullshit like facebook points for signing up for affiliate offers is a complete joke.

again, this is all my personal opinion. i can still be aware of technology and everything wonderful that the internet has to offer without dealing with the narcissistic clusterfuck that is facebook.

chan -- i heard bannaroo is a good time, but that came from some hippy friends so take it as you will

a few months ago, when i was still in seoul my grandmother passed away. and i posted quite a bit about it on facebook, mostly cause all of my family is in the u.s or in mexico, so i was feeling incredibly alone.

facebook is supposed to be a means of keeping in touch with people, so i used it to get in contact with family to help me grieve. i dont feel like i went over the top, like i didnt make tribute pages and what not, but i do feel that it was a bit therapeutic to use this source being so isolated from the rest of my family.

but yeah there is tons of dumb shit that it causes, like i have some friends that are married, who are incredibly self absorbed so this doesnt surprise anyone, but they send each other public messages while stating that they are in the same room, fucking awful

bonnaroo does give off a hippy vibe but the lineup is usually good. i went to lollapalooza a few years back and was considering it this year. the lineup is usually worse but you're right in downtown chicago so you always have a good city. with shitty headliners this year like green day, it just means you can beat the rush to good restaurants/bars.

re: facebook. i use it but i'll agree i feel it cheapens the grieving process. seeing "rip whomever" in somebody's status just feels like an attention grab. i'm not going to say grieving should be a private affair because everybody has their own methods, but i always thought if you've lost someone and don't grieve alone, you'd be with other people who had a connection to the person. getting random "sorry for your loss" messages on a website doesn't seem the same to me. ymmv.

took the bus to vegas by myself last saturday to meet up some friends

wasnt that bad at all. easy on the pockets too

gucci mane is out tomorrow

yeaaahhhhh

bud, i'm not attacking you personally or anything. i just don't fucks with the facebook. i don't want to have to keep up to date with facebook's bullshit privacy updates on a weekly basis. i don't want to have to constantly opt-out of new services. i don't feel the need to cultivate my online persona. i didn't like the way facebook made me act when i met new people, and it brought little to no value to my actual life, so i deleted it long ago.

i interact with supertrash because it makes me laugh. that's pretty much why i interact with all the online communities that i do, as a form of escape and entertainment.

social networking, in its current form, is more marketing than anything else. marketing that you voluntarily sign up for and cultivate by interacting with others. if facebook would have stuck to their original goal of allowing people to connect and share material, i might still have an account. but they're constantly trying to turn a profit, and all that bullshit like facebook points for signing up for affiliate offers is a complete joke.

again, this is all my personal opinion. i can still be aware of technology and everything wonderful that the internet has to offer without dealing with the narcissistic clusterfuck that is facebook.

HEY DUDE WANNA HANG OUT AND BE FRIENDS?!!

ADD ME TO FACEBOOK!!

^ Lol is it all subways, taxis, and buses in korea?

indeed.

to the point when it's somewhat of a treat to be driven in a car whose driver doesn't expect anything in return.

I think I've been in a car about 5 times in the last 4+ months I've been here.

re: facebook narcissism

a friend of mine was locked up last ... october? I think it was october. anyway, we were at his bday/going away party and everyone is all weepy and blunt-smokey saying how much they are going to miss him, they're his best friend, etc...

after he goes away, his girlfriend posts his visiting hours, his address to get letters, his commissary, all that, and for 2-3 weeks everyone posts "FREE ___" and "miss you so much bro" all over his wall, as if he can check facebook in prison. how many of those fake fucks sent him any money? or a letter?

facebook is fun and a useful tool, but whoever described it as passive narcissism nailed it right on the head.