apparently...jeans are near impossible to make...but somehow possible

fndmybetterhalf

man if i wasnt dirt broke from buying my APC's and Sling and Stones this month...i'd totally buy that roll. But yeah, i had never used a sewing machine before the jeans so it was reallllly hard at first (still is). thats why i killed the first pair of jeans i had and had to start fresh. But yeah im hoping ill practice and make perfect and make a really nice pair of jeans sometime.

dude, those look HYPE. at first the careless sewing made me cringe, then 2 seconds later, i cant get over how unique it makes them. and think of how sick it will be when they get fades and peeps start asking where you got them and you can just say "oh these old guys? i made them."

i have to get myself a sewing machine.

Did you also buy a machine that finishes the edges of the fabric (if you know what i mean), to prevent the denim from fraying? If you didn't, then your jeans might fall apart in a few weeks!

a serger.

toufu, i remember that same exact denim on sale months back. does this seller have endless amounts of deadstock?

I've been daydreaming about making my own jeans for a year now... and this is making me want to start tonight!

I was thinking about doing it the same way: buying a pair that fit me ok as a starting point, taking them apart and creating my own templates from them. I was worried that I didn't have enough sewing experience to make it worth it, but you saying you had NONE makes me think I may have a shot. I have no formal training but have fucked around with a machine a decent amount.

Thanks for the inspiration!

yeah i took an old pair of jeans that didnt even fit me well...i just wanted to get the basic idea of what all the pieces are so i took it apart...got the idea of how each shape goes together...made my own measurements, and pretty much freehanded the patterns with a straightedge. But aside from that i did not have a serger so i wouldnt be suprirised if the jeans came apart but this was just my first demo/try and im gonna be starting a new pair sometime this month hopefully but school started today so it might take awhile to finish. But to those who are looking to amke your own pair...do it! its frustrating at times but its fun and once you're done...you feel likethe coolest person ever. Go around show your friends. its awesome.

yeah i took an old pair of jeans that didnt even fit me well...i just wanted to get the basic idea of what all the pieces are so i took it apart...got the idea of how each shape goes together...made my own measurements, and pretty much freehanded the patterns with a straightedge. But aside from that i did not have a serger so i wouldnt be suprirised if the jeans came apart but this was just my first demo/try and im gonna be starting a new pair sometime this month hopefully but school started today so it might take awhile to finish. But to those who are looking to amke your own pair...do it! its frustrating at times but its fun and once you're done...you feel likethe coolest person ever. Go around show your friends. its awesome.

What is a serger and how does it work?

They look great for a 2nd try with little sewing experience and I completely know what you mean about wanting to punch the sewing machine. Just keep sewing and you'll figure it all out. btw this is dane the dude working at the shoestore.

I just started on my second pair...this time with the hugeeee help of ILoveSpaz, designer of Sling and Stones. I've been working with a couple patterns he let me borrow...made a couple cuts here and there and been working with that so far. Also with the help of one of my friend's mom who has a surge machine i can borrow. But unfortunateley...i dont think i can post up the patterns since theyre rightfully Sling and STones but once i get my definite cuts put together...i'll post something up. I'm also taking a bucket load of photos of every step and compiling them all into a slideshow/video ish kinda thing. Expect that in a couple weeks im guessing.

DSC_0050bws.jpg

DSC_0051bws.jpg

DSC_0061bws.jpg