apparently...jeans are near impossible to make...but somehow possible

fndmybetterhalf

So...after 3 days, about 10 packs of cigarettes, awhole lot of beer, awhole lot of punching the sewing machine...4 broken heavy duty denim needles, my jeans are finally complete. I first made the cuts last week but been busy cuz of holidays and such so never got around to getting the sewing in...but started yesterday and after roughly 8 hours, i finished today. Result wise...awhole lot better htan i expect but somehow i made the cuts wrong and i'm a size 30...btu the jeans came out to be like size 36. so with a bit of altering i think it'll look better but so far so good.

i tried to make the cuts to fit similar to my APC new standards (not so tight but not so baggy either). leg opening is roughly 8 in, knee about 9, thigh about 10 or so. Now this is the very first time i've ever sewed anything and the first time i've ever made any form of clothing...got a cheap sewing machine from Target that said it can sew through 8 layers of denim (and it actually did when i replaced the needle). but yeah, my sewing is as close to shitty as it can get (as you can tell in the pics [specifically crotch area as you can tell]... but i'll just claim that i was trying to do alittle Iron Army style stitching haha...but anyway, here they are. Hope this can motivate some of you to make your own jeans cuz even though i pulled out a ton of hair and almost threw the sewing machine out of the window due to frustration...it was alot of fun and i plan it making more.

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_00221.JPG

DSC_00241.JPG

the overall of the jeans look killer-tastic.. but hell, it looks like you gotta know how to sew.. i would like to try it someday, but i was wondering where you got the knowledge about how to sew em together?

im just a biologist with a lotta love for denim, im no desiger.. shit..

the overall of the jeans look killer-tastic.. but hell, it looks like you gotta know how to sew.. i would like to try it someday, but i was wondering where you got the knowledge about how to sew em together?

im just a biologist with a lotta love for denim, im no desiger.. shit..

yeah the sewing needs alot of work haha. i need alot of practice but when i first started with the idea of making my own jeans... i was clueless to how the hell theyre all put together so i went to a thrift store and bought a cheap pair of jeans for like 10$ (first pair i bought accidently boot cut and the cuts were confusing me) so i went back and bought another pair that was semi tapered for another 10$ or something. came back, pretty much took apart everything piece by piece and just really looked at how each part goes together. Then heres where i got most of my help...i looked on Ande Whall's denim thread (form a long time ago) and it shows how he made them pretty much step by step so i did my best to follow each step and sewed them piece by piece.

yeah, was looking at andes how-to-make thread, but seemed confusing to me, nonetheless seemed like it would take ages.. so i'll just let other people do the job and then pay the bucks...

They look good, and Im really impressed with the effort! doesnt really look like the waist is too big either?

The main objection is the sewing...crooked seems just won´t do imo, but I know from experience that its really difficult to get them straight. Maybe you could have used less contrasting thread ?

They look good, and Im really impressed with the effort! doesnt really look like the waist is too big either?

The main objection is the sewing...crooked seems just won´t do imo, but I know from experience that its really difficult to get them straight. Maybe you could have used less contrasting thread ?

honestly idk wat i was thinking...in my mind i thought "man...this threads gonna look so sick with this denim..." haha turns out it looks like ass with my crappy sewing. and also, mid way through i ran out of thread and stores were closed so i finished it off with white thread (bad idea). and as for the size, if you look i even wore a belt but the jeans were still really big on the waist so i've kind of hid the big excess sizing under the belt...but it kinda spilled under the belt, somewhat hard to tell byt eh pic i guess but in real life...pretty damn big. buut either way...this was kind of like my "demo" so alot more to come hopefully with better sewing.

the whole off kilter stitching was what i liked about iron army's jeans. shit looks good, especially for a first attempt, did you use ande's old thread as a jumping point? i always wanted to make a pair of superjeans, with every detail from every brand i liked tossed together.

The jeans look awesome! Did you get rivets put in? Also, what was the most difficult part in the whole sewing process?

yeah i hammered the rivets in... hmm the hardest part? I would say sewing the crotch area...as you can tell, it looks like ass on the crotch area. This is actually my second pair that i made... the first pair i butchered up so badly i had to toss it cuz of the crotch area. After i tossed the other pair, i went over to the Sling and STones studio and talked to Aiden the designer of S&S and he gave me a few tips and tricks to getting it done. helped alot.

Wow man, honestly those aren't half bad. I suggest you just do it over and over again until you get the hang of it. And you're telling me you'd never even used a sewing machine before this? I'm impressed. Seriously.

Trend Watch 2007: Sewing your own denim. Supersewing forum. Group buys on giant rolls of selvage denim. Etc...

Make it happen.

Wow man, honestly those aren't half bad. I suggest you just do it over and over again until you get the hang of it. And you're telling me you'd never even used a sewing machine before this? I'm impressed. Seriously.

Trend Watch 2007: Sewing your own denim. Supersewing forum. Group buys on giant rolls of selvage denim. Etc...

Make it happen.

:cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/110-Yards-Vintage-Levis-Deadstock-Selvage-Denim-Fabric_W0QQitemZ320065992887QQihZ011QQcategoryZ11483QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Make it happen.