Digital SLRs?

nairb49

If its good enough for Daivd Hurn its good enough for anyone.

That's like saying you should buy what Dash Snow uses.

A fuckin poloroid.

When I refer to professional I mean someone who needs to have the range of freedom to get the shot they want. An architectural photogapher for instance.

The arguement of it's the photographer not the camera is not going to help anyone.

Wow, this is like getting married, only more important. I've read this thread at least 6 times, and I went through the Carl vs. airfrog battles, but I'm still not sure. After spending the day looking at all of the review sites I was almost ready to order the XTi. But after a field trip to Best Buy I held the XTi and the D80, that was an eye opener. The XTi is tiny, it didn't feel very good in my hands, the D80 though just felt right. Of course that was from 45 minutes of holding both and looking through the viewfinder. Maybe the XTi would grow on me, but so will mold if you sit still long enough.

Wow, this is like getting married, only more important. I've read this thread at least 6 times, and I went through the Carl vs. airfrog battles, but I'm still not sure. After spending the day looking at all of the review sites I was almost ready to order the XTi. But after a field trip to Best Buy I held the XTi and the D80, that was an eye opener. The XTi is tiny, it didn't feel very good in my hands, the D80 though just felt right. Of course that was from 45 minutes of holding both and looking through the viewfinder. Maybe the XTi would grow on me, but so will mold if you sit still long enough.

Dude, the D80 is miles ahead of the XTi in terms of build quality and usability, and the kit lens 18-55 beats Canon's kit lens around like a red-headed stepchild.

If the choice is D80 vs. 30D, that's more of an on-the-fence deal, but D80 vs. XTi, there is no need to think twice. The image quality is identical. You can split hairs all you want but I've seen side by side comparisons and they're identical, even at ISOs up to 1600.

What matters is how the camera functions work, the exposure meter, the viewfinder, the menu system, the button placements, the comfort factor..

The D200 is king under $2k, and the D40 is a great, cheaper alternative, but if you're between those two price points, D80 is a no-brainer.

Fuck all this camera talk anyway. What matters are the pictures. I crack up everytime I see a horrible WAYWT post taken with a Rebel or a D70 or better. What's the point of dropping $600+ for a DSLR when all you do is take blurry pictures in front of a mirror that are exposed like a pile of moldy shit?

Get the camera that you feel more comfortable shooting with, then completely disregard any talk about camera bodies and lenses until you're ready to drop $800+ for a new lens that will last you for many years. And take some fucking pictures that don't include the camera in the shot. Camera fetishism is the stupidest fucking part of photography that I've ever come across.

Leica has the distinction of being the most fetishized especially with the obsessive talk of each lens's "bokeh" and all that business.

I've always distanced myself from digital cameras, whether high-end or not, for exactly the reason that I detest a lot of gimmicks and such on cameras. The biggest innovation as far as I'm concerned is TTL metering, but then I usually use a GE meter from the '50s.

I never care much for parallax error either.

What do you guys think of the Ricoh GR Digital?

I was introduced to this camera by 78 and I've been researching it, it seems like a solid camera.

Like I said a few posts back, I'm looking to upgrade my photography game, and now I'm basically deciding between the Rebel XTi and this thing.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/ricoh/gr_digital/

there's an example of what kinds of photos can be taken with it

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/ricoh/gr/digital_camera_EN1.html

here's an in-depth review of it, showing it's features and such.

it's got a price tag of about $600 which seems pretty decent and since I'm not looking to do photography as a career this would seem to fit my needs.

It's portable enough to take with you anywhere and it's got great picture quality.

Anyway just some thoughts on the Ricoh vs. XTi?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

28-80mm is pretty ok for basic usage. For macro shots, u might end up havin to shoot from far and crop the image. Also, its not very long ranged so you wun be able to do faraway pics.

I would recommend you dump the SLR and go for a prosumer camera instead because

its cheaper n you have a wider telescopic range.

Having a DSLR/SLR does not mean you would be a pro or become a pro, cameras

are but a tool for a photographer. even if it is just a camera phone or 2 to 3MP cam,

a good photographer can shoot and still use the pic as an image for usage.

try checking out www.clubsnap.org for more professional advices from hardcore photogs. Most of them really know their stuff.

I don't have $600, nor do I have knowledge in SLR's. What would be a decent cheap all-around lens? Would a.28-80mm do the trick?

I just bought a rebel XT body for cheap and wanted to start taking pictures as for art (ie drawing).

What do you guys think of the Ricoh GR Digital?

GRd ftw, imo.

since you have no interest in SERIOUSLY taking photographs, then an SLR won't have much of an impact on you, since you probably won't be investing thousands, or even hundreds more for better lenses. therefore, your camera body, which wld be permanently attached to your 18-55 kit lens; rather pointless innit?

the GRd is smaller (can be put in your pocket, not like an SLR), has awesome manual control, and the colors it gives are amazing, really amazing. i'm saving up for one now, actually. i need to get a new point and shoot, DSLR is mad heavy, and i hate my canon ixus.

also, check out www.dpreview.com for an even more indepth review; you can also click and drag to compare/contrast the functions,etc of many different cameras, SLR or not.

save yourself the money, and buy a GRd.

GRd ftw, imo.

since you have no interest in SERIOUSLY taking photographs, then an SLR won't have much of an impact on you, since you probably won't be investing thousands, or even hundreds more for better lenses. therefore, your camera body, which wld be permanently attached to your 18-55 kit lens; rather pointless innit?

the GRd is smaller (can be put in your pocket, not like an SLR), has awesome manual control, and the colors it gives are amazing, really amazing. i'm saving up for one now, actually. i need to get a new point and shoot, DSLR is mad heavy, and i hate my canon ixus.

also, check out www.dpreview.com for an even more indepth review; you can also click and drag to compare/contrast the functions,etc of many different cameras, SLR or not.

save yourself the money, and buy a GRd.

backinthetrees is right.

SLRs are only for people with a passion for photography or they like lens changing/use a variety of different lenses for dif purposes.

Although SLRs are getting very common now, most people who buy them dun really use it to the maximum because they are getting it due to it being cheaper now/looks n sounds more stylish that u own a SLR etc......

Look in the dpreview website n perhaps consult more experience photogs to get more opinions on what are the better cameras currently in the market.

you might just save urself more cash n get the optimum value for yourself. take the spare n treat urself man! ;)

For me, I own a Oly E500 with 2 lenses but hoping to get another couple. But, at the moment, without additional lenses, it really feels much better to hold just a prosumer or related which does about the same job.

But, at the moment, without additional lenses, it really feels much better to hold just a prosumer or related which does about the same job.

i feel you on this man, i really do.

im so broke it ain't funny.

i think i'll start an official photography thread. instead of us all converging at random threads.

i feel you on this man, i really do.

im so broke it ain't funny.

i think i'll start an official photography thread. instead of us all converging at random threads.

yeah...my camera feels sooooo naked!

btw, what camera u using then?

a pentax me super (which has to be repaired) : (

and an eos 300d got a sigma 28-70 f2.8 and 55-200 f4(ugh)

also have a very random canon rebel(dunno how i got it) and a nikon f401.

no prizes for guessing which one i use the most.

i wanna get a couple prime lenses tho..

u could actually take your pentax down to camera workshop to repair.

shouldnt be too costly. after that, if you want, sell it! hahahaa...

i used to go to sungei road n grab some really old skl shit, bring down to CW and repair them. the value drastically increases!!! ;)

i grabbed a olympus pen ee3 from there for like only 40 bucks! repaired n cleaned for 25 n now could sell for S$100+! unfortunately, stupid me accidentally knocked it off my shelf while i was playin around with all my cams n the solar lens cracked.

u should play around with ur film cams more! i still think films the best although expensive...

n me too! iv actually eyed a macro, higher grade lens n a telescopic one... see how it goes! hope money fall from the sky soon! lol

Anybody get a chance to see one of these bad boys yet?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022208canoneos1dmarkiii.asp

iv had a go previously at the markii n it was awesome, undefeatable il say! lol....

its like the best camera ul ever wanna own n have.

that is if u dun mind the weight n cost of it n the lenses comin along!

The third generation CMOS sensor incorporates a new pixel design that works together with on-chip noise reduction circuitry to ensure high image quality at ISO 3200. The option to expand to H:6400 will benefit professionals working in news and sports locations where the use of flash is not permitted or desired.

HOT SEKS ON THE BEACH!

The third generation CMOS sensor incorporates a new pixel design that works together with on-chip noise reduction circuitry to ensure high image quality at ISO 3200. The option to expand to H:6400 will benefit professionals working in news and sports locations where the use of flash is not permitted or desired.

how does this compare to the fujiS5 and its dble sensor huge DR thing?