Digital SLRs?

nairb49

sup guys...

im going on a eurotrip in june and was wondering what lens i should get for everyday use... i dont wanna be lugging around a bunhc of lenses

i have a canon rebel xt

thanks

You should check out the canon EF-S 10-22mm, or the EF-S 17-55mm. They are both pretty versitle, and are much cheaper and lighter than the EF L lenses.

I did it. I finally ordered a D50 and a 50mm f/1.4 prime lens to go with it.

I went through a few more harrowing hours of looking for "goodies" like a remote or extra batteries... but that's all fluff. All I need is something to carry that sucker in... something like http://www.billingham.co.uk/prodbuy.asp?id=44 but hopefully under 200 dollars demmit.

You should check out the canon EF-S 10-22mm, or the EF-S 17-55mm. They are both pretty versitle, and are much cheaper and lighter than the EF L lenses.

17-40L f/4 is only 700 sometimes 650.. the 17-55 ef-s is well above that from 1,000-1200

i have used both on my 30d and i still love my 17-40 :)

for th 10-22 its an awesome lens, you just need to get a good copy i've heard issues of purple fringing.. but then again it is a freakin ultra wide

• 1 month later...
Guest mwills

I know there's other threads about digital photography and cameras already, but I had a couple questions about purchasing a digital SLR. I am hoping to spend around $1000 at the most and I have a few different options.

My initial thought was a Canon Digital Rebel XT ($509) and Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens. ($409) = ($918). I have heard that the jump from the Rebel XT to the XTI is not a great one, and not worth the price difference. I could also spend much less money and pick up the Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens ($80).

The second combo I am considering is a Nikon D80 ($909) and a prime lens like Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens ($114) = ($1,023)

Keep in mind I am a beginner looking to pick up my first digital SLR. I would love to hear your opinions and the ups and downs of each cobination. Thanks so much for your help!

I'd get the 400D aka XTI. only for the bigger screen, I'm actually considering changing from the 350 (XT) just because of that. theres not much difference apart from that, but after testing the 400D I really appreciated the bigger screen, the one on the 350 is just too small.

as for lenses, the problem I see with the EF 50mm prime is that with a digital SLR, because of the cropping it will end up being 1.5x that. otherwise its a very good lens, but personally I dont think its wide enough for everyday use. I'm in the process of picking up a 28mm f1.8 which I think is a bit better for a DSLR, I believe that should be a very good everyday lens. if possible, I'd suggest to test the 50mm so you'll get the idea of the width.

Go for the Canon, i feel they are better than Nikon IMHO.

Nikonians here will disagree though...

But anyway, if I had your cash n starting off, il rather get a 3/4 system like olympus cuz I prefer their vibrant colours

I purchased a Nikon D80 with the 18-50mm lense kit with SB-600, and purchased some diffusers. Will receive it soon, I chose Nikon because more people told me to... lol. I also did my own research. Both are very good, have their own good sides and bad sides. I just hope I'll learn how to shoot great images quick.

sorry to hijack the thread. but anyone can give a recommendation on a very good compact point and shoot digital cam?

frankly, a lot of pple will give u different opinions.

here's some websites u can check out for more in depth info as well.

www.clubsnap.org

www.dpreview.com

both are really good and the latter will give u an overview of all avail digicams in the market worldwide

Guest mwills
look for a used canon 20d u'll be much happier than with a rebel. plus u'll be able to get a better lens then the kit lens

I wasnt planning on getting a kit lens. Right now I'm leaning toward the 400D (XTi) with Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens. Thanks for your input guys.

Where is a good place to look for used cameras online? Ebay?

Yes ebay... and alot of frickin' research on the store you're buying from.

I would go for a refurbished/used model from ritz and/or cameta... they seem well regarded.

I wasnt planning on getting a kit lens. Right now I'm leaning toward the 400D (XTi) with Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens. Thanks for your input guys.

Where is a good place to look for used cameras online? Ebay?

Oh and nobody please buy any nikons. They suck. And I don't want any sufu competitors for lenses on ebay >:3

I suggest to all of you though, to not worry about the body as much as the lenses. Diffirences in quality of pictures taken by lenses outweigh those between bodies. The only thing about bodies you should worry about right now is the acessibility of controls and comfort above all else, then maybe look up the crop factors.

MOST important of all though is to look up lenses, see if your budget can handle those wonderfull lenses you will eventually want to buy. Starting with a prime is great, because it's usually very quality glass and cheap. The lack of zoom-range aquaints you to the lenses point of view a tad quicker, and hopefully forces you to start thinking about composing your shots...

look for a used canon 20d u'll be much happier than with a rebel. plus u'll be able to get a better lens then the kit lens

as masuerte said, the difference between lenses outweighs the difference between bodies. plus I dont understand what you mean about the kit lens, why wouldn't he be able to pick up something else for a rebel?

I know you've already said you're swaying towards the Canon (fair enough, I won't try and bring you over to the dark side) but I have a 50mm f/1.8 and they are sweet.

They might be the cheapest lens that Nikon Nikkor makes but they're also the sharpest. Admitedly, like Mike said, the 1.5x crop factor make it slightly less useful than true 50mm but the ability to open up the aperture so wide more than makes up for that. I love creating images with very short depth of field so it's perfect for me, as is the ability to shot in very low natural light (I'm not a fan of flash if it can be avoided).

I think the main difference you'll find between Canon and Nikon as an end user (tlets throw all those statistics and comparison charts away) is that the Canon will be smaller (and probably lighter I'd imagine) and the Nikon will be bulkier and more blocky (and thus, more grippable).

Guest mwills

Ok it seems that everything is telling me to go prime, so at the moment I'm leaning in that direction. The Canon 50mm f/1.8 has a great reputation from what I have read, but the only thing that I'm worried about is the extra 1.6x on a DSLR. After some research it seems that the best choice would be a Canon 24mm f/2.8. I looked into the 28mm f/1.8 but from the reviews I read it seems to have more problems than the 24mm f/2.8. I am looking for a good walk-around general use lens, so if you have any more recommendations they would be welcome.

Also, I am still torn between Digital Rebel XT/XTi or a refurb/used 20d. Ah, it's all so complicated!

*EDIT* I found a 20d for $719 from a store that has had great satisfaction with their refurb products. A little more expensive than a new XTi, is it worth the upgrade?

I dont have experience on that particular lens, but I think a 24-28mm prime sounds like a good walk around lens for a DSLR. I'm just getting the 28mm/1.8 myself.

check out this forum for lens reviews, suggestions, sample pics etc: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Mate seriously, don't worry too much about internet and magazine reviews. Once you're dealing with brands like Canon or Nikon it's hard to buy a truely crappy product.

I know you want to make sure you're spending your miney wisely (as would I) but the sooner you buy a camera the sooner you can be out there taking pictures. Which one do you really want to own?

Remember that the camera does not make a photographer make.

As a recent bneginner like youself, I'd buy the Canon 350, you won't need the addiitonal features of the 400 unless you are trying to go pro and the 2 mega pixel makes no difference unless you are making huge prints.

I got this lens as my walk around and it works great. You don't need the IS, you need to learn how to have a steady shooting hand. Work on fundamentals first.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-28-105mm-3-5-4-5-Standard-Cameras/dp/B00004YZQ8/ref=sr_1_32/104-3649834-0415939?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1179856816&sr=8-32

This will save you a few hundred bucks to spend on your next lens once you decide what you like to shoot, ie landscapes, nature, sports, portrait.

My second lens was a sigma 10-22mm for the landscape stuff which I love dearly.

Get a basic lens to start, the the lens with IS will never be as good as a Canon L and is not worth the extra $250, so start basic and gradually move towards different focal lengths and higher quality glass.

I too looked at Prime as a starter, but they are very frustrating for a beginner, I think you need the flexibility of the zoom to help you frame shots without having to physically walk closer/further to subject.

Just my $0.02

as masuerte said, the difference between lenses outweighs the difference between bodies. plus I dont understand what you mean about the kit lens, why wouldn't he be able to pick up something else for a rebel?

on digital bodies matter more than film, the 20d has a better sensor and auto focus system. My point about the kit lens is just bc its shit u'll end up replacing it anyway. point is a used 20d and a better lens will be around the same price as a new rebel xti but is a much better camera

Picked up another 5D and the 24 1.4L Thursday. I have an old FD 24 1.4L so I would expect the performance would similar. I haven't shot allot with the new lens but what I have I really like it. Way better than the 24 2.8 especailly at 2.8 and is still very good at 1.4. There is still some distortion near the edge (full frame sensor) of the frame but you don't get the bowing of straight lines as much as you do with the zooms or the 2.8. Focus is fast and acurate even in dark situations. Wider than my 35 1.4L which is an outstanding lens that I shoot with probably about 60% of the time.

i'm looking to buy my first DSLR too but my budget is limited to about $800. Anyone shoot with Pentax? Anyone? Anyone? I'm looking at the K100D

And where is a website explaining lenses? I feel so overwhelmed with all the numbers and inadequate as a photographer becuase I don't understand :(