Digital SLRs?

nairb49

Your friends are right. I would not recommend that camera. It's plasticy, AF is dog slow, and very noisy. Sony products suck in general...

AF depends on the lens for the alpha; noise isn't too bad below 1600 iso... I like mine, but then again I'm defending my purchase. It's a fun camera for the price.

Pros: Price, good rage of professional features, great series of lenses (you can use Minolta mounts too), ergonomically plesant (plasticy? not so, nice metal body & weather resistant), continual buffering so you can shoot forever.

Cons: A little noisy at higher isos (can be fixed post production though), umm yeah...

Check this review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/

their pros/cons: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/page30.asp

i'm a total noob with the dslr. i'm wondering why does my camera not take the shots i want to take?

it sorta keeps zooming in and out but doesn't capture?

your autofocus is getting confused in low-light or mixed focal depth situations. that's when you use MF, or manually select a focusing zone.

hey guys - absolute photography newbie here. i just got a 400d w/ kit lens, went through the manual... what next? can anyone point me in the direction of any good online tutorials for beginners. i don't mind investing in books either so any book recommendations would be great also.

any help appreciated! :)

Len's hood is pretty good for protecting the lens and helps reduce flare (i havn't really notice that much of a difference though) but i do have it on most of the time. I think there are only certain situations where it would be better off without one eg if it obstructs the flash and i heard something about vignetting with polarisers or something.

But other than that its pretty good if you can find one for cheap. They are pretty pricey imo for a piece of plastic. Oh and having one makes you look pro! haha.

i went to the local camera shop here to pick up a d40 yesterday, and they explained to me why the d50 or any of the other nikon dslrs would be a better choice, cause the d40s dont have the universal nikon lense mount that all their other dslrs have, so he ordered me a d50 with kit lense, and i also order a nikkor 1.8 lense, all that will be here wednesday :D i sold a shit ton of my old nikes to buy it :o

it's great, I wanted to add a second light to my studio, and the ABR800 is pretty much a AB800 that is also a ring, it comes with an umbrella holder so it's perfect as a fill light while my old AB800 as a mainlight in a softbox... or use it as a background light and use a reflector as a fill...

a ring flash gives you a particular look, and the model has no shadows and also doesn't have any modeling. So you have to have good makeups to add the modeling in, or do so in post-processing. If you shoot it close to the models you also get an interesting halo around the model in the background, it's kindda cool looking, but of course it gets old after like 2 shoots...

I wouldn't have bought it if it's only a ringflash, but since I can use it with the moon unit (a circular softbox, which I might buy later), and as another light, I think it's a good deal... it's only a little bit more than a AB800...

oh yeah, if you don't have any strobes yet, I think a single AB800 and a reflector will be a better setup than a ring light, but if you already have one or a few lights, then the ring is a cool toy to have...

it's great, I wanted to add a second light to my studio, and the ABR800 is pretty much a AB800 that is also a ring, it comes with an umbrella holder so it's perfect as a fill light while my old AB800 as a mainlight in a softbox... or use it as a background light and use a reflector as a fill...

a ring flash gives you a particular look, and the model has no shadows and also doesn't have any modeling. So you have to have good makeups to add the modeling in, or do so in post-processing. If you shoot it close to the models you also get an interesting halo around the model in the background, it's kindda cool looking, but of course it gets old after like 2 shoots...

I wouldn't have bought it if it's only a ringflash, but since I can use it with the moon unit (a circular softbox, which I might buy later), and as another light, I think it's a good deal... it's only a little bit more than a AB800...

oh yeah, if you don't have any strobes yet, I think a single AB800 and a reflector will be a better setup than a ring light, but if you already have one or a few lights, then the ring is a cool toy to have...

I prefer a large soft box and a reflector. Soft box in VERY CLOSE just out of the sight from the lens. The light quality is so different and more controllable than an umbrella Never use more lights than are needed. Every time you add a light you add a problem (shadow, reflections and catchlights in eyes.). I also prefer the rectangular catch light in the eyes. Looks like it could have been made by window light.

I always shoot with a lens hood. It helps keep all unwanted light off your front element.

Len's hood is pretty good for protecting the lens and helps reduce flare (i havn't really notice that much of a difference though) but i do have it on most of the time. I think there are only certain situations where it would be better off without one eg if it obstructs the flash and i heard something about vignetting with polarisers or something.

But other than that its pretty good if you can find one for cheap. They are pretty pricey imo for a piece of plastic. Oh and having one makes you look pro! haha.

You should shoot with a lens hood whenever you can. Light striking the front element can cut sharpness and contrast which can effect the final image.

Thanks for the in depth explanation,

I'm currently looking for lighting, But I hardly shoot people.

I just liked the ring in the eye effect, but I'm sure that will get old.

This might be a noobish question, but what is it called that sends the signal to the strobe?

And do you think AB is a good brand to go with, or should I just invest into a higher level of lighting systems.

AB and WL are both made by Paul C Buff, WL is the higher end brand and AB is less expensive. Both are awesome for non-pros. If you need extremely consistent color temp and reliability, then go with a pro setup, they're worth the money. But I don't have to process hundreds of frames each day so I don't mind doing minor color temp adjustments in post-processing.

the ABR800 is not gonna give you a ring in the eye, unless you are VERY close. If you want a ring in the eye you can DIY one with PVC pipes and Home Depot lights for cheap. It gets very bright and warm and is uncomfortable for the models though, like any hot lights.