Digital SLRs?

nairb49

I recently encountered a problem with uploading pictures to my computer from my camera. When the card is in the camera I can view the pictures, but when I insert the card into the external card drive to put them on my computer, the pictures are not there. Any advice or helpful suggestions?

I recently encountered a problem with uploading pictures to my computer from my camera. When the card is in the camera I can view the pictures, but when I insert the card into the external card drive to put them on my computer, the pictures are not there. Any advice or helpful suggestions?

This actually happened to me a couple days ago. If it's the same situation, try hooking up the camera itself to your computer via USB cord (with card inside camera).

I "fixed" it by turning on the lock that keeps the camera from shooting without a memory card, then reformatting the card. I say "fixed" because that lock shouldn't matter, but who knows. Hope that helps.

I can't wait till the Nikon D3 comes out now. GEEEEZ. Please be FF!

• 3 weeks later...

I fucking hate to bump this, but I must.

Anyone here ever been told that they couldn't take a certain camera and/or lens into a stadium? I plan on going to a few NFL games this season and I don't want to take something that won't be allowed in the gate.

i'm in singapore and i'm planning on buying a Nikon D80, which I guess costs around $1300 us for the complete kit. i went to this one electronics place in vivo city called Best and the price was about $2288 sing dollars, which is about $1,500 usd. and then i went to this smaller, camera oriented place on orchard road near far east plaza and the guy said they sold them for $1600 sing dollars for the complete kit, and then lowered it down to $1500 before gst, brand new and original. is this shop near far east a trustworthy place to buy a dslr?

I'm getting my first dSLR very soon, still deciding whether to pay the extra 200 for the 30d over the 400d, but I probably will, if only because the 30d is just THAT much better to hold and I like the additional analog controls and the separate display.

For the lens I was thinking of the Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2,8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF), which seems to be a great deal at about 400 Euros. Reviews are all extremely positive, but I was wondering if there is a lens that is similar but better, and not (much) more expensive. I'll be buying additional lenses later, but I wanted to get a lens that is good for a variety of situations first to learn using the camera.

the only equivalent with a similar price (that i know of) is the sigma 18-50. there's a tokina one that came out in asia recently, but it's a bit more expensive.

review comparing the tamron, sigma, and canon: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-17-50mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-II-Lens-Review.aspx

managed to borrow myself a 350D that isn't being used much by the current owner

but the guy doesn't have anything apart from a zoom lens (i don't remember which)

so far i've worked with a 50 1.8 prime on my AE-1, would buying the equivalent for the 350D set me back by much? and would a canon lens suffice?

thanks guys

Ahh, the infamous "nifty fifty" aka EF 50mm f/1.8 Crappy build quality but it takes damn nice pictures from what I've seen, and it costs $50-75 new. I'm going to buy one next week. Also, don't listen to these people that say the Canon kit lens is crap. Sure, it's not the best lens out there but it's more than capable of turning out some nice photos. Take a look at the stuff I've posted in the photography thread. All of them were shot with the 18-55mm lens that came with my XTi.

Ahh' date=' the infamous "nifty fifty" aka EF 50mm f/1.8 Crappy build quality but it takes damn nice pictures from what I've seen, and it costs $50-75 new. I'm going to buy one next week. Also, don't listen to these people that say the Canon kit lens is crap. Sure, it's not the best lens out there but it's more than capable of turning out some nice photos. Take a look at the stuff I've posted in the photography thread. All of them were shot with the 18-55mm lens that came with my XTi.[/quote']

synthetic, thanks a bomb. yeah i'm just looking for something cheap and decent, don't really have the cash i would like to indulge myself yet. perhaps in future...for now i'm a cheap-ass semi-photographer.

get a yashica electro, my favorite camera of all time! screw computers. kids these days...

was that addressed to brian, the o.p. :confused:

I would go for the 1.4 for sure, it is a few more aperture blades which means much smoother bokeh... Also it has internal focusing ring and is much better constructed... it is well worth the extra... the 50/1.8 M2 can be had for like 80 bucks, and there is nothing wrong with it, just that the 1.4 is really that much better to me... (I own neither but have used the 1.4 extensively, my studio partner back in Austin used one as his portrait lens, 50 x 1.6 is pretty much ideal for portraits btw)...

this is an old post but dont buy the 1.4. Get the 50mm f/1.8. the 1.4 is very poor wide open and soft. to get good results you have to stop down to f/2 at least. dont be gullable and waste your money on the 1.4. the 1.8 is great for low light photography or concerts. i own a manual focus 1.8 for my nikon and love it. dont buy AF either bc in low light situations the AF wont pick up your subject. just my 2cents

synthetic, thanks a bomb. yeah i'm just looking for something cheap and decent, don't really have the cash i would like to indulge myself yet. perhaps in future...for now i'm a cheap-ass semi-photographer.

was that addressed to brian, the o.p. :confused:

it was addressed to everyone! i was going to post this picture where these dudes picketed with 'technology is evil' signs for added effect but i couldn't find it. ]:

it was addressed to everyone! i was going to post this picture where these dudes picketed with 'technology is evil' signs for added effect but i couldn't find it. ]:

haha. well i've inherited my grandad's old AE-1, it's not much, but it's not a computer... :)

• 4 weeks later...

re: 40D :not sure what the details are, but it depends on how seriously you're shooting i guess, cos the D80 isn't a bad camera at all, in fact, i quite like it.

however, if you're gonna shell out some cash like that, approx 2.3K SGD, get some nice lenses for your nikon. and on top of that, the kit lens that comes with the 40D is a 18-55, which is alright, but pretty shit for the camera. so you'd have to get more lenses anyway.

tweedles, how long will you have the camera for? dont forget that when you're using 50mm on the AE1, its 50mm. but when you use it with the 350d, you need to factor in your 1.59x crop factor. also, it depends on what you're shooting. all in all, i highly rec. the lens, cos its cheap (130-150SGD), fast, light, and alot of fun.

i'm going to venture into the the dslr world myself and i'd like to get your guys input. been looking at:

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT

Pentax K100D

Olympus E-410

Olympus E-510

i plan to take the time to learn about all the adjustments and settings but i'd also like to be able to get some good results in the meantime right out of the box. i'll probably go with a kit lens for now so which one of these will give me the best results with the most auto setting? i'm also planning on making some bigger enlargements (16x20 size). will the 6mp from the pentax or nikon be enough?

i'm going to venture into the the dslr world myself and i'd like to get your guys input. been looking at:

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT

Pentax K100D

Olympus E-410

Olympus E-510

i plan to take the time to learn about all the adjustments and settings but i'd also like to be able to get some good results in the meantime right out of the box. i'll probably go with a kit lens for now so which one of these will give me the best results with the most auto setting? i'm also planning on making some bigger enlargements (16x20 size). will the 6mp from the pentax or nikon be enough?

Get a used canon 20d.

you'd be missing out on some sexay full frame action.

Yeah, but he'd be saving easily 2 grand.

Alleyoop - While a few years old, the 20d is still a fantastic camera. Its got a great sensor and image qaulity. Shot on RAW the files are getting close to film (not quite 5d quality but gettin there).

so im going to buy a dslr in a few months and i have no idea whats good?

and since its almost been a year since this thread was wondering im looking at the bestbuy dslr cameras. and i was wondering:

does mp matter as much? i was thinking around 8-10 is good for me.

and whats the best camera around the price range of $500-$900 at bestbuy online

and i'm hopeing one that will last me for acouple of years so when i move to new york i'll be able to capture the scenary and things of that matter.

i'm currently using my brothers 6 mp nikon coolpix. although we've been using it for a year i doubt it will last me another year

• 2 weeks later...

For the lenses, get one of those adapters available--sometimes scarce though--and buy an old lens made by Carl Zeiss, Kern Switar or Leica, among others--much more superior than any of the new things which in addition to their inferior image quality, are also rather cheaply made.