Digital SLRs?

nairb49

this camera is honestly the size of a fucking football. its huge

and i love it. <3 if i want to take street shots then i'll just use the trusty sony dsc-f717. it's no dslr but it takes great pictures and is incredibly rugged. my last one went through hell and back and probably returned to hell after a crack-fiend stole it out of my manager's car. :mad:

I use a 10d with a bunch of Zuiko OM primes. Works a treat and don't see a reason (apart from a full sensor size) to upgrade.

99% of the people won't be able to hit the limit of something like a 300d with a mkII 50mm prime so what's the point of dropping so much more on the best and the latest?

if you buy the leica your paying an extra 1000 for the name. if name branding means tat much to you go for it

actually you're paying for better quality glass and precision engineering. just because a panasonic camera says "leica" on it doesn't mean it's actual leica glass. it's their manufacturing that has been developed to Leica specs. how many leica cameras have you shot with?

So I officially decided that I'm going to be getting the Pentax K100D DSLR for christmas this year. I had a chance to check it out today while I was in the mall at Ritz Camera. I can honestly say that I'm happy that it's similar to the K1000 that I've been using for the past few months. I also like the fact that Pentax decided to make their DSLR so that you can take any lens that they made and put it on this camera. Anyone have an opinion on this camera?

actually you're paying for better quality glass and precision engineering. just because a panasonic camera says "leica" on it doesn't mean it's actual leica glass. it's their manufacturing that has been developed to Leica specs. how many leica cameras have you shot with?

wow... i guess someone got offend by wat i said. what you say might be true. But i doubt the lenses are different you know that panasonic produces all lecia bodies right? not the other way around. lecia went of out business and panasonic bought the branding and bought it back. Thats why they have the same bodies. yes it is true the quality in lecia is much much better. Same goes for acura vs honda, toyota lexus. But for a DSLR tat camera quality is bascially the smae as the panasonic. its really just the look of the camera and the build quality.

i have handle a lecia, vintage lecia. and the compact lecia, not the digital slrs.

i thoght the digilux 3 is manufactured in the panasonic japan factory? you used to work for leica in what division? why you getting a lumix instead of the digilux then? should ask for employee price from them!

So I officially decided that I'm going to be getting the Pentax K100D DSLR for christmas this year. I had a chance to check it out today while I was in the mall at Ritz Camera. I can honestly say that I'm happy that it's similar to the K1000 that I've been using for the past few months. I also like the fact that Pentax decided to make their DSLR so that you can take any lens that they made and put it on this camera. Anyone have an opinion on this camera?

have you heard about the k100D super? i think that one kind of just replaced the K100D, it has sensor cleaning and supports lenses with internal focus motors. it's also the one i'm pretty sure i'm going to buy.

I need some advice about Leica lenses. What would be the best first lens for Leica M8?

50mm f/1.4 Summilux

A 50mm lense should be the first choice for every 35mm camera IMO. Of Course Leica makes absolutely immaculate ones.

wow... i guess someone got offend by wat i said. what you say might be true. But i doubt the lenses are different you know that panasonic produces all lecia bodies right? not the other way around. lecia went of out business and panasonic bought the branding and bought it back. Thats why they have the same bodies. yes it is true the quality in lecia is much much better. Same goes for acura vs honda, toyota lexus. But for a DSLR tat camera quality is bascially the smae as the panasonic. its really just the look of the camera and the build quality.

i have handle a lecia, vintage lecia. and the compact lecia, not the digital slrs.

Valid point, but the people in the market for the Leica M series digital are paying a premium to retain the rangefinder/35mm film shooting experience.

For some, that experience nurtures healthy creativity that the new business of dSLR squashes. It definitely brings some life back into that traditional style of shooting.

I'd love to get my hands on one if I could if I ever planned on creating personal/lifestyle portraits and photographs.

I use B+W and Cokin filters almost exclusively. I used to use the cheaper Hoya ones but Ive had multiple ones with build quality issues (loose glass seals, bad threads), especially with 77mm+ filters.

A UV filter looks like just a piece of protective glass, but I recommend you get one good clear UV filter for each lense, preferably a multicoated one. This will cut down on chromatic aberation (lenz flarez!!) and help your lenses perform closer to what they would without a filter. Especially in terms of apeture.

Good luck with the M8. Id love to try one.

I use B+W and Cokin filters almost exclusively. I used to use the cheaper Hoya ones but Ive had multiple ones with build quality issues (loose glass seals, bad threads), especially with 77mm+ filters.

A UV filter looks like just a piece of protective glass, but I recommend you get one good clear UV filter for each lense, preferably a multicoated one. This will cut down on chromatic aberation (lenz flarez!!) and help your lenses perform closer to what they would without a filter. Especially in terms of apeture.

Good luck with the M8. Id love to try one.

Fuck. I've had 3 77mm Hoya polarizers break on me until I dropped some dough on a B+W Kaesemann. That thing's a brick though, I highly recommend B+W. Cokin is too low-end for me, I have a Z-Pro holder but my filter is a Lee.

I currently have a Canon 70-200 f/4.

Was looking to buy a 24-105 f/4 to complement it.

If i wanted prime lens (maximum of 3) instead to fufil the role of the 24-105, what lenses should i be looking at? I was thinking 28 f/2.8, 35 f/2.0,85 f/1.8. What would your suggestions be?

I don't want to break the bank as i am not making any money from this so the really expensive L primes are out.

Would it be a wiser choice for me to stick to my original choice of the 24-105 or would the primes i've mentioned do a better job?

I shoot mainly portraits, street candids and abstracts.

PS: Currently on a cropped frame but with 5D prices the way they are i might make the jump in the near future, it would be great if i could reuse all the lenses i buy now.

looking for a general-purpose prime lens on a canon rebel xti that will produce a normal-view on the 1.6x crop. within my budget, im considering:

Canon 28mm f/1.8

or

Sigma 30mm f/1.4

which one do you think would be the better choice for a beginner?

or should i save some cash and go with the 35mm f2?

i'd like to hear some of your opinions, im also very open to other suggestions. thanks

I did. I've read their reviews. All positive points so far. I cant decide whether to get the K100D super or the K10D from their reviews though.:(

I've been considering the K100D, not the super though. The main reason why is the only difference that I can see is the weight and the fact that it has some kind of dust reduction thing. Is there something else that I'm missing or is that it?

I've been considering the K100D, not the super though. The main reason why is the only difference that I can see is the weight and the fact that it has some kind of dust reduction thing. Is there something else that I'm missing or is that it?

I think its just the auto cleaning, and I think its better if you just get a canon or nikon. I tried on the K10D, and its not as good as the review says.

I think its just the auto cleaning, and I think its better if you just get a canon or nikon. I tried on the K10D, and its not as good as the review says.

I would, but considering that I have two other Pentax lenses already from my father's regular SLR, I really like the fact that you can swap any Pentax lens ever made on to the body of the DSLR cameras from Pentax.

yeah, i was gonna do the same thing and riffle through ebay and search some cheap pentax lenses if I decided to get the pentax 10D. Its great for building a collection without costing an arm or a leg. But I guess Im not too fond on buying lenses, without inspecting them in person. As even the tiniest scratch is going to have a very deep inpact on the photos.

I got the canon 40D instead. Still exploring and learning on how to maximize the camera though.