Bicyclettes

canice

Jeez guys, we've seen it all before. Obviously he missed his bike completely and put the lock on the pole.

I use a cable on occassion. Lost a lock before (actually 2), dropped one while pissing and other time in someone truck w my bike in the bed. Both are alcohol related and within miles of each other maybe less

strange story:

i was on the mountain bike team/club in college and we had a big bash at someone's house. most of us rode there of course and throughout the night much alcohol was consumed.

well, i blacked out and really have no memory of how i got home but my bike was neither at my place in the morning or the place where the party was. after much detective work, we kind of settled on the idea that i had left the party with the bike but was so fucking gone that i must have crashed or just ditched it somewhere, as crazy as that sounds. it was a badass 2003 specialized p.1. i would not have consciously done that but there really was no other explanation.

lots of looking around but i never found it. i was crushed. i couldn't believe it, but after a while i had to accept that it was gone and at the time there was no way i had the money for another one.

something like a month later, i'm pulling out of my apartment complex in my truck and i see this mother fucker ride by ON MY FUCKING P.1. i knew it was mine. nobody in chico had one like mine with an '04 dirt jumper fork on it. i chased him in the truck for a few blocks and he didn't seem to want to stop, but when he started cutting through a parking lot, i went in after him and cut him off and jumped out. luckily he didn't put up a fight and i didn't have to pound him. dude said some shady guy sold it to him, which is somewhat believable considering how many bums roam around that town. he gave it back without much fuss and all that was missing from it was the front brake? wtf.

re hardy boys and the mystery of the still-locked mini-u:

u-lock was locked to the seatpost. thief removed seat, left still-locked lock, put the seatpost back in.

or, a bit less plausibly, the lock was on the stem, and the thief removed then reattached the stem bolts to free the bike from the lock.

or, even less plausibly, the lock was on one wheel only and the thief sawed through the wheel to free the bike (tougher than it sounds)

i'm guessing #1.

that's another reason why I have PitLock security bolts on my top cap, dropouts, seat post clamp, and brakes and plan to buy them for my stem, derailleurs, pedals, brake housings, chainrings, and saddle when they become available. :-D

re hardy boys and the mystery of the still-locked mini-u:

u-lock was locked to the seatpost. thief removed seat, left still-locked lock, put the seatpost back in.

or, a bit less plausibly, the lock was on the stem, and the thief removed then reattached the stem bolts to free the bike from the lock.

or, even less plausibly, the lock was on one wheel only and the thief sawed through the wheel to free the bike (tougher than it sounds)

i'm guessing #1.

Since this was my bike and it was locked through the frame (on the bottom, no bolts) it's still a mystery :D

0ISyE.jpg

i'm guessing #1.

I dunno, after I saw a video of a guy with a hacksaw tear through a tire & wheel and have the bike freed within 10 seconds, I've started u-locking between the frame (seat tube) and rear wheel.

tumblr_lq1wsqepSa1qa20mto1_500.jpg

Finally got my Motobecane Grand Record back together. I had been planning to paint it and restore it more thoroughly, but the bottom bracket and the crank were completely locked together, so I settled for cleaning and fixing the old 600 arabesque group that it had on it, and had the bike shop throw new cables and a chain on it. Doesn't prevent the bike from being a complete beater, but at least its a beater that rides well and comes from a good pedigree.

Isn't that kind of radial spoke lacing on the front incredibly weak? Does your wheel loose true?

Anybody use SOMA Everwear or Everflows on a road bike? I ride road for pleasure, don't need something super slick.

Actually, I'm thinking about selling my roadbike and having a randonuer for clubrides and commuting, a touring/grocery tank and keeping my beater Schwinn. Fuuuuuck aluminum (2).

the front wheel is fine, i've been riding this bike for close to a year and the wheel is fine, i would definitely avoid running a radial spoked back wheel for obvious reasons.

I also use soma everwears, albeit i run them on my track bike, they have lasted me a long long time and are definitely way better than vittoria randonneurs which come at more or less the same price. The rubber is stickier so it helps me slow down faster if need be and the tyre is 5mm thick which lasts ages!

There was no way to disassemble the bike. We can talk about it forever but it won't change anything. The lock had to be opened (or street sign removed from concrete, no screws, new concrete poured, dried in 30min in front of a luxury building with a doorman)

kvZSK.png

Hacksawed the tubes, sold for components would be my guess. Were there any metal flakes on the lock?

can anyone recommend me a decent bike to go for occasional riding? I have no idea where to start ha.

Just find a used steel frame schwinn or something. Occasional riding doesn't justify spending a lot of money and all steel requires much less maintenance...

On another note - got my an-atomica installed finally. Very excited to try it this weekend, assuming we don't get the torrential rain that the weather channel keeps promising but mother nature never seems to deliver.

Give me your recommendations for cycling training plans / nutrition.

Started riding 3x30 mi this last couple weeks and my endurance and nutrition is definitely previous level. need help!

books and x much appreciated.

You need to set a goal you want to reach(!). By this you can develop your own training plan. I only can recommend books in German, because I studied this stuff.

- it's pretty to hard (for me) to explain the background in English, because of a lot of technical language I can't translate...my apologies

To improve the endurance you need to increase the strain step by step and to do some planned periods of resting (rest is the most important point and most difficult to plan). You have to increase by the week and by the month, just step by step over the year.

(eg. 20mi / 30mi / 40mi / 1 day off / 30 mi / 40 mi/ 1 day off - just a simple example)

You need to increase the strain by different methods. You can increase the miles you want to ride, you can increase the strain by heartbeat, the strength you have to use and so on...

Nutrition is simple in comparison to develop a training plan. You did a lot of strength training - eat protein. You did a lot of endurance training - eat carbohydrates for regeneration. You did a hard strength endurance training - you mix up carbohydrates and protein in particular amounts to increase the effect of both. You can even eat sweets right after exercise to gain power back quickly + you have a psychological profit of reward.

edit: I only found German titles and books. Even the resources were in German, too.

I found one book for nutrition: Clinical Sports Nutrition from Louise Burke but it's expensive in comparison to German books. There was a Peter Konopka "Sporternähung" book but without an English translation. It contains a lot of basics and examples on how to eat for the right porpuse, important foods and diet plans...