Bicyclettes

canice

1-2 bottles before, 1 bottle+ per hour (dep on heat) during, 150-250 cal per hour consumed during.

Spend as little time at threshold HR as possible, spend maximal time at zone-1 HR as possible, doing only zone-2 HR during difficult sections.

Follow this on every ride and you can go as long as you feel like--maybe not at 22mph ave, but as long as you feel like for sure.

Building up a new bike, with a white lugged 55 cm Reynolds 531 frame and a set of Campy Atlanta 96 rims laced to Miche Primatos with a rear hub that fits splined sprockets. Really looking forward to the build! I've got a honey brown Brooks Team Pro saddle that I will plop onto it. Will be looking to kop a set of nitto stems and bars. Was thinking of chroming the frame and then masking the parts of the seat stay, chain stay, forks and lugs and powdercoating the rest a deep canary yellow. Chroming is gonna cost more than the frame though so I been thinking of clear coating after sandblast and possibly letting it rust a bit for a raw look. What say you?

Any 'crossers on SuFu? Season starts in less than a month. What gear are you running (tires, pressure, brake setup etc)?

264602_10101008540808010_7900229_71164412_2083242_n.jpg

tires are still undecided. brakes are Juicy Ultimates. in this pic, bike is set up for gravel road and trail use. need to get some different wheels. blue hoods were tossed and replaced with black. 46/34 gearing with an 11/25 (again, gravel road and trail).

I haven't locked into the bike yet for this year. Wheels are going to be handbuilts w/ Ultegra hubs and Ambrosia rims, Challenge Grifo tires. Training and local races on Shimano or Mavic wheels and Michelin Mud tires.

Team brakes are TRP, which are great, though I'm not sure I won't be stuck with the squealing Avid's. Time Roc Atac pedals, which I wouldn't change unless I were being paid to.

I didn't realize those Crux's were available already. It's definitely loud.

I'm still on my old Ridley with 6600 since my road bike got a new group this year. 32 Grifo's for most races and the Specialized Terra's on the mud wheels with wider gearing. Not sure yet how low I can run those before they get squirmy.

Either of you doing the USGP in Madison or Ft. Collins?

• 2 weeks later...

fourth day into my Iceland trip now. first day was one of the hardest days in my life... multiple mechanical delays at start, someone crashing while drafting on a 10% grade, and someone bonking near the end around 11pm. we rode into pitch blackness and arrived at our destination past midnight lol...

later days have been so chill though and got a rare glimpse of sunshine.

however the rest of our trip is gonna be on the south coast in freezing heavy rain and 15+ mph winds lol...

check some photos out below. more photos on my instagram: Davemerica

28fde177175f4ba2a72f2cca0bbef7f3_7.jpg

7f124bdd416e4c409c7bfedab2b25d24_7.jpg

c403a6f1ae844a87822af49fa2566fee_7.jpg

Gotta eat some proper food, man! Long-hours, sport specific nutrition just doesn't have the calorie density. Even a dozen Clif bars is only 2,500 calories, which is what you'd need normally--so make sure to get some nice fatty, calorically dense "normal" food in the mix to settle up the guts and have a days worth of legs.

P.S. -- great job out there on the roads livin' it.

food is so expensive in Iceland, we've been hacking

our own sandwiches together using our breakfast bar lol. ham cheese whole wheat bread and my own chunky peanut butter I bought at a supermarket. 3 oranges were $15 lol. only eating them on the hardest days.

restocking food and water at every town feels like I'm playing Oregon trail.

we're along the south/east glacial iceland coast now. today was 70 miles along the coast with freezing torrential rain and 30mph winds... pretty intense and demoralizing ride the whole way until we got one mile in a tunnel with no wind and no freezing rain.

12dbb90d33c8432880a152692b9a7091_7.jpg

RIdiculously awesome bike polo tournament in Montreal this weekend. Everyone was awesome. Bike Film Fest was in town also, but I missed it and wasn't missing anything to hang with some seriously great people.

Oh, and ADH, try some big pedals, I love Primo's, personally. Plastic is actually sweet if you're getting good BMX pedals. Low-pro alloy's are nice too, but will surely do a bit of damage to leather soles. Straps are not required when you get a platform this big, though you may elect to get straps.

^ didn't go to the Polo tourney but i went to the work Giuseppe Marinoni an art show/ just get together , and Gold sprints at royal phoenix bar. I actually got to race but alot of people didn't.

Did you just come up for the tourney or are you from montreal?

Last year i got a tip from a local shop, the chick showed me her Biking boots specifically designed for biking in cold weather, my vans + 3 socks did not cut it, my toes were frozen.

Last winter I went with bmx platforms and some Burro Straps.

in retrospect, wish I had spent more on something like the hold fast so that they'd be easier to adjust..

I have big old Redline pedals with Holdfasts. They are good at making quick adjustments for shoes to boots etc. It's no picnic getting the boots (esp. with any plateau in front ie Redwing 875) in but like anything you just learn to do it.

I want to put SPD on some boots. Must ebay old crep sole boots.

some noob questions that i need help on-

1. i've been riding a fixie for a while. All my pants get worn out in the same ass area. does everyone get that? is it my seat, the way i try to brake, etc?

2. what is some good, cheap brakes? my knees doesn't seem like it can handle it anymore.

3. I've been looking for a commuter bike. can/should i turn my bianchi pista one or should i find something else?

thoughts, opinions, suggestions definitely appreciated.

some noob questions that i need help on-

Yes. The more you move around and the less your saddle fits, the quicker your pants wear out, too.

Any aftermarket brake is pretty good now and will stop you easily and with good power.

Plenty of people commute on Pistas. If you were wanting a rack or fenders, you have more limitations, but it is certainly fine to use (though stock gearing is too high.)

Yes. The more you move around and the less your saddle fits, the quicker your pants wear out, too.

Any aftermarket brake is pretty good now and will stop you easily and with good power.

Plenty of people commute on Pistas. If you were wanting a rack or fenders, you have more limitations, but it is certainly fine to use (though stock gearing is too high.)

thanks mayng!