Bicyclettes

canice

I've got a Brooks saddle coming in the mail -- would Obenauf's Leather Preservative be a suitable alternative to Proofide? Not looking to spend another ten bucks just on some goop that goes on twice a year, especially if this Obenauf's would work just as well.

There is something about those handlebars that inexplicably makes me angry

Me too. Straight bars, or close but not really like those, always look super dorky to me. It's astounding how much impact bars have on the look of a bike. Drops can make any mountain bike look cool.

Grocery shopping with my bike in 105 heat index today, surprisingly not horrible (but I work outside all day too).

Yardsale, I don't know your level of bike experience or your size, but you may want to ride a 'dale before you plunk down for it. They fit like classic US crit bikes, short head tubes, long top tubes, short wheelbases. Forks are proprietary, some have been good, some not. Dales are nice and maintenance free, though. I forget if that's BB30 or not.

If you're a mid to heavy (for a roadie) rider, you'll love it.

Me too. Straight bars, or close but not really like those, always look super dorky to me. It's astounding how much impact bars have on the look of a bike. Drops can make any mountain bike look cool.

Grocery shopping with my bike in 105 heat index today, surprisingly not horrible (but I work outside all day too).

I was doing 200 miles a week in Phoenix just on my work commutes alone. Man up.

Though to be fair its incredibly flat everywhere.

200 mi/week is awesome, I'm under that by a few orders of magnitude. Going to work is down hillish, and recently with a tail wind. Coming back is up hill, mega gusty head wind, and post 8 hours of construction.

For a while it was head wind both ways. Very discouraging.

for the Velo Orange rims... PBP or RAID? does the width actually make a difference?

thinking about lacing up my dad's campy hubs for my bike... its currently laced with Super Champion Rims... but i dont wanna fuck with tubular....

Why not? It's not so bad! I love riding them daily.

With cheap Conti Gatorskin tubs and sealant in the bag instead of a tube, you're actually way more puncture resistant.

I trust that over relacing an old Campag hub, which if it's done at all different from exactly how it is now (including which side crosses over and lead and trail) can crack the flange quite easily. Also, not worth it...

If you do get the rims, I'd just get new hubs too. I like riding 23mm rims, I won't buy another pair of clinchers w/o them. I have four sets of tubs though and only two pairs of clinchers...

I've been riding my Brooks Team Pro for a few days now. The motherfucker is rock hard. I can't say I was expecting it to be that solid; I'm used to leather having the slightest bit of spring to it. I hope I'm not one of those types who look back on it a thousand miles from now and wonder if it's even broken in yet. At least, now I have an excuse to pick up a pair of cycling shorts... to wear under my raw denamm jawnz...

Yup I'm the same. I've had B17s that were great out of the box and currently have a Team Pro that has been comfortable since day one. Did a century on it which kinda surprised me.

I'm planning on doing a century in a few weeks - what was your nutrition like for the ride? This actually goes out to anyone with any good advice....

what is a clincher?a tub?tubular? lacing up??Flange???

im assuming a century is like a 100mile ride? or something like that.

sorry if these are stupid questions, i like to ride bikes i don't know much about what some of you are talking about in this thread. am down to be taught a bit.

I am in the process of buying a new back wheel, got a large bump/dent in my current one, at first (a month ago) there was only 1 crack from 1 spoke, ha now around 1/2 are cracked, I hope it doesn't decide to give out till i get a new wheel.

what's the century going to be like? easy? ass kicker? fast? hot?

Last century I did was 2nd day of Ragbrai last year. Survived on (biscuits and gravy for breakfast) lots of water + Elete, NUUN, 4 Gu Roctanes, a couple slices of pizza, and a beer. I was absolutely wasted when we arrived at our destination. Averaged about 19mph, cross and headwinds at 15mph+.

Oh, I just applied a very light coat of pure neatsfoot oil to my Brooks and wiped the excess off. Took it for a ride once it was entirely dry and not-greasy feeling, and it made all the difference in the world. Still rock hard to the touch, but decently comfortable under the butt.